Ungoogled Chrome

Options

Hello,

I'd like to use a heavily modified version of Chrome named Ungoogled Chrome. It can't install official extensions from the Web Store easily, and it also doesn't seem to be supporting the usual 1Password extension. Right now I'm running the 1Password X extension instead. What would I need to do to make it work with the normal 1Password? I think it can't find the 1Password app, when clicking the menubar item. The usual thing that happens for unsupported browsers…

Regards and thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Zettt,

When the companion extension, the one that relies on the native 1Password application, attempts to connect 1Password performs a number of checks. It performs checks on itself and the browser to ensure nothing has been tampered with. This requires that the native application has knowledge of the browser, a whitelist hardcoded inside the application itself. Only browsers on this list will be allowed to connect. Ungoogled Chrome isn't one of these and I can't say I'd even heard of it before you mentioned it just now. As a result 1Password will not allow the connection. To use the companion extension you will need to use a supported browser and the list of supported browsers is:

• Safari (macOS only)
    • Edge (Windows only)
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Vivaldi
    • Opera
    • Brave

If you're looking for a Chromium based browser that isn't Chrome then maybe either Vivaldi or Brave might be to your liking. I don't foresee this list altering any time soon I'm afraid so I doubt Ungoogled Chrome will be appearing.

This discussion has been closed.