account member - not auto syncing. How do I set up mac, iPhone, iPad?

dodono
dodono
Community Member

I am not seeing the same data on my mac, iPhone and iPad. All devices report that I am signed into my 1password account.

i don't see the sync pref pane on the Mac version.

I used to sync with Dropbox.

Don

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:account member - not auto syncing. How do I set up mac, iPhone, iPad?

Comments

• Hi @dodono

Please try this:

1. Add a new Secure Note on each device. Title it something relevant to the device you're on, such as "dodono's iPhone."
    2. Log in at https://my.1password.com/
    3. Check which notes appear (or more importantly — do not appear)

That should give us a good idea of which device(s) are misconfigured / misbehaving.

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• dodono
    dodono
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

added note on phone, did not appear on the mac.
    added note on mac, appeared on phone

I see similar patterns in my other data...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dodono,

Thank you for the information. Do you have a vault called Primary on your phone perhaps? Is it possible that you saved this new note in that vault?

• dodono
    dodono
    Community Member

nice work ag - that was it. Thanks.

I see that some things slipped into Primary. I will move them into Cloud-Main. (actually I just did, and bingo there they are on my mac.)

Can I delete Primary?

Don

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dodono - you not only can, you should, to prevent just this sort of thing happening in the future. Just make sure there is nothing remaining in Primary that you need and that's not already saved in your 1password.com vault(s). Then use these instructions to remove Primary on every device where it exists (you won't need to sign in; you've already done that).

• dodono
    dodono
    Community Member

I know your migration tool advised me to delete the primary, and clearly it was correct : )

But I was gun-shy and did not follow the advice as I should have.

anyway, I just went thru and believe I now have everything in the Cloud-Main vault.

In the Primary vault settings below "Delete Vault" it says "Deleting your Primary vault will let you use your 1Password account to unlock 1Password." Does this mean the password I use to open 1PW?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dodono - what that refers to is the fact that, when you had a standalone setup, your local 1Password for Mac app was unlocked by the Master Password associated with your Primary vault. When you set up your 1password.com membership, you could have but weren't required to use the same Master Password for your 1password.com account. If you did, then it's no problem; your Master Password won't change. But if you DID use a different Master Password when setting up your 1password.com membership, it's a good idea to make sure you can sign into your account in a browser at start.1password.com -- just to be sure you remember the Master Password -- because as soon as you remove the standalone Primary vault from your 1Password app, it will unlock with whatever Master Password you used when creating your 1password.com account. Make sense?

• dodono
    dodono
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

thanks for the quick reply - and yes that make sense. I did make a new master PW when I set up my 1password membership, and I do know what that password is, but it was nice to verify it with the start.1pw... link you provided.

OK, I am going to take a deep breath and hit that delete vault button soon.

Will that remove the files from the iCloud drive as well, or will just the reference to that vault be removed from the 1pw UI?

• Will that remove the files from the iCloud drive as well, or will just the reference to that vault be removed from the 1pw UI?

The latter. :) But just to clarify: 1Password doesn't use iCloud Drive to sync with iCloud. It uses CloudKit. So you wouldn't see 1Password files in iCloud Drive either way.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.