Can't open Mac vault backup file on Windows

My Mac has crashed and I recovered backup files from 1Password (last version for El Capitan). I've installed the latest 1P version in WIndows 10 but I and can not open the backup file (..1p4_zip) due to a password error. I'm sure the password is correct. Passwords in my cloud account are ok. I was in migration processes to families version...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:open old vault

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @leandrorey,

I am sorry to hear about your Mac. :(

I am afraid you won't be able to restore the backups from 1Password for Mac in 1Password for Windows. Those backups are not the same; they're constructed differently for different OSes, and they're not interchangeable. Do you have access to any other Mac, where you can restore your backup? Please let me know.

Additionally, please clarify your situation with "cloud account". If you have 1Password account and you migrated your data there, you can sign in to this account in 1Password 7 for Windows and your data will be there even without restoring your old backup files.

Thank you in advance! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• leandrorey
    leandrorey
    Community Member

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the prompt answer. I have an old Mac but the OS is Snow Leopard and it can't be upgraded. Before the crash I had migrated a few accounts to my private vault. This accounts are ok. Any other hint?

TIA

Leandro Rey

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @leandrorey,

Have you set up sync in 1Password on your Mac with El Cap? iCloud or Dropbox?

Or maybe you have iOS devices, where you have access to your data in 1Password? Please let me know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• leandrorey
    leandrorey
    Community Member

HI Greg,

I don't have an iOS device. I used to have sync with Android via Dropbox some months ago but sync stopped working and I gave up.

TIA

Leandro Rey

• Greg had done some asking around, @leandrorey, and I followed up with some inquiries of my own and at this point I'm pretty well satisfied you're only going to be able to recover that backup with either 1Password for iOS or a newer version of 1Password for Mac, which would mean using a Mac with at least El Cap. 1Password for Windows simply can't read anything in that backup file.

What's the plan for that crashed Mac? Are you looking to have it repaired or do you know what the problem is? I'm wondering if maybe it would be an option to recover that backup using an external hard drive with the crashed Mac, then import it into your Family account. Alternatively, you might check if you have an OPVault or AgileKeychain on Dropbox and try importing that into your account on Windows. Depending on why sync to your Android device stopped working, it may be that keychain file is actually complete and likelihood is it will at least have some of your data if you still have it around.

Both of these, of course, depend on you either hunting down some equipment you don't have at hand, or making some (hopefully temporary) sacrifices until you're able to access an adequately recent Mac so I don't want to suggest either as the best solution without your feedback. Let me know what is reasonable for you, though, and whether you can find one of those keychain files on Dropbox and I'll be happy to share my thoughts and give whatever instructions I feel will net you the best results. :+1:

• leandrorey
    leandrorey
    Community Member

@bundtkate and @Greg ,

I've borrowed an Macbook from a a friend, installed 1Password7 and recovered passwords from backup,
    Then I´ve logged in my account and moved the passwords for my private vault .
    At end I ´ve removed 1Password from the Macbook.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

[ ]s,

Leandro Rey

• It's no trouble at all, @leandrorey! Just to make sure, did you follow this guide when removing 1Password from your friend's MacBook? I mention it because, although he would need your Master Password in order to unlock any data, your local database is not removed by default, so you might want to take some extra steps to fully tidy up if you just went with a simple uninstall. :+1:

• leandrorey
    leandrorey
    Community Member

I've used this guide @bundtkate. In fact a new user was created for this task an deleted at the end.
    Everything is fine now. 1P support team is really great. Thanks.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @leandrorey,

Thank you for the good news! :) We are glad to hear that you managed to restore your data.

We are always here for you, so do not hesitate to reach out to us anytime. Thanks!

++
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.