insists I need to install browser extension which is already installed

jorhett
jorhett
Community Member

After the latest upgrade I am getting the following error on every one of my Macs. When I hit CMD-\ in the browser, up pops the mini-window telling me that I need to install the browser agent. Problem is, it's already installed. It's active in the toolbar even.

So even when I click through the prompts to install the browser agent, it just offers to uninstall it for me. On one of the macs I even uninstalled and then reinstalled the browser agent, and yet no fix.

First time I've seen you have an upgrade fail of this magnitude :(

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1Password Families

Comments

• Hi @jorhett

I apologize for the inconvenience. Could you please try restarting the Mac? We did not anticipate a restart would be required, but it appears in some cases it is in order to restore connectivity between the browser extension and 1Password for Mac.

Ben

p.s. Because you have 1Password Families you have the ability to use our new 1Password X browser extension, which doesn't require 1Password for Mac at all. You may want to give that a try if you are still having difficulties: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

• digibud
    digibud
    Community Member

Similarly for me, when I am at a website and hit the Command Backslash to have 1Password fill out the name and password it opens a dialog box to tellme to install the browser helper which I already did then I have to go to the menu and open the program and manually copy paste the password. It is entirely broken.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@digibud: Did you try restarting your Mac, as Ben suggested?

• digibud
    digibud
    Community Member

Thanks for your suggestion regarding restarting the Mac. I found it in the FAQ also and it worked just fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! I'm glad that helped. :)

• @jorhett,

Okay, that would be an issue separate from the one we're aware of then. When you say 'it crashes' are you actually getting a message from the crash reporter, and if so, have you been submitting those crash reports when they come up?

Ben

• @jorhett

I didn't see you'd also started a new thread (which I've now merged here). When you see the crash reporter are you submitting the logs? If so I'll have development/QA look them up and see if we have a fix we're working on.

Thanks.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: I don't see where I said anything like that. Please don't put words into my mouth. :)

As you can imagine, I'm working in the browser all day (all week, actually, and I rarely restart anything) and I'm not seeing an issue like you're suggesting, so I suspect there's something different about your setup. So some details might be helpful. We've heard from others that restarting is necessary after updating, but after that it's fine. So unless you're continually installing an old version and updating it, the issue you're reporting is quite different.

Have you tried the beta?

• philfm
    philfm
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

I am experiencing the same thing described in this thread. From what I can tell, the Mac helper plugin is what's crashing on a pretty regular basis (20+ times a day). The helper seems to reset itself (new in the most recent update), but again it doesn't stop the crashing. Perhaps there is a corruption on my computer, but restarting doesn't help much.

UPDATE: Got a screenshot of the help crash notification that appears just before 1password mini starts reporting that the Google chrome extension is not installed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@philfm - I'm sorry for the trouble. If you're still on version 7.3, please update to the most-recent version. Let me know how that works for you.

• philfm
    philfm
    Community Member

I'm on the latest according to the app.

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.1 (70301008)
    1Password Store

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@philfm - ah, my mistake - this issue is solved in the upcoming 7.3.2, not the current 7.3.1. Apologies for the confusion as well as the delay. It should be out before too long, though I don't have any specific timeline for it. Thanks for your patience an apologies for the inconvenience.

• philfm
    philfm
    Community Member

Glad to hear a fix is on the way. Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@philfm - you're quite welcome. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's in beta currently, though I don't think that specific change is public yet.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: As brenty mentioned, the fix is already available in the beta, it just has not been released to the stable channel. Have you tried the latest beta version already?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: That's certainly understandable. Although, if something breaks in the beta, you can always go back to the stable version if you don't want to wait for the next beta update.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@jorhett: No need to worry. If you're using a 1Password membership (as it sounds like you are), your encrypted data is automatically backed up offsite. The server has the canonical store of your data; "corruption" on your machine won't impact that because the server doesn't accept junk: sync'd data needs to be valid. And even if you screw something up yourself by making a change you didn't mean to, you can restore a previous version from item history. Cheers! :)

• @jorhett

The best I could suggest is installing the 7.3.2 beta:

https://c.1password.com/dist/1P/mac7/1Password-7.3.2.BETA-1.pkg

Ben

• mattymcg
    mattymcg
    Community Member

I've been experiencing this problem (the browser extension repeatedly crashing when using ⌘-) as well. I've experimented with 1Password X but I prefer the original (when it works). Glad to hear that 7.3.2 should address this, as it's actually been an issue for me for several months. Is there a rough date that we can expect 7.3.2 to drop? My (less tech savvy) family are also experiencing the issue, and I don't really want to talk them all through how to install the beta...

This discussion has been closed.