Stop an attached file Uploading

sailingbikeruk
sailingbikeruk
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Families

I accidentally dragged A DMG file to a software licence entry as an attached file. I've removed the attached file entry from the original record but it is still trying to upload a 450MB file and keeps failing at around 300MB

Ive moved the attached item to the trash and attempted to remove the local copy and as mentioned earlier Ive removed the attached item form the software licence record.

How can I stop the ongoing continuous upload?

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 70300020
OS Version: OSX 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sailingbikeruk! Welcome to the forum!

How can I stop the ongoing continuous upload?

Can you please let us know where you see the continuous upload take place at the moment?

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member

In the 1Password for Mac app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for clarifying @sailingbikeruk! That was useful.

Can you be a bit more specific though? You said that you eliminated this item, so where exactly are you seeing the upload in the 1Password for Mac app? Do you have a screenshot that you can share?

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member

It would appear that when you link a document, 1password creates a separate entry for the doc and then links the two items together. It would appear that I had deleted the link and now had a Software Licence entry and a separate Document entry, the latter kept trying to upload.

I resolved it in the end by removing the local 1Password app, re-installing and re-syncing.

The behaviour that I saw was thus:

1) file would start to upload
    2) after 5-10 minutes 1Password it would prompt for my password
    3) go to 1

It was quite annoying and maybe a feature request to cancel uploads would be something to put on the roadmap, or check filesizes at the point they are linked and not accept large files.

I am sure I can reprodcue it in a VM at some point if you want to see it recorded.

Ian

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sailingbikeruk - thanks for the additional information and the offer to repeat this in a VM -- I don't think there's any need to do that, since I can tell you what the likely issue is here: there's a timeout on the server of approximately 7 minutes; if something cannot be uploaded within that time, it's rejected; that's to prevent abuse and also enormous attachments of this nature. 1Password wasn't designed as a digital filing cabinet where users can store large data files such as applications or the like; we recommend people use hierarchical folder-based encrypted online storage for such needs.

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

I never intended to store any large files, I dragged the wrong one over, it was an accident in my case. I would respectfully suggest that you investigate how to force stop the upload at the timeout so it doesn't start again as soon as the user re-authenticates. Either that or add a cancel option to the file upload.

• sailingbikeruk
    sailingbikeruk
    Community Member

All's well that ends well...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sailingbikeruk - thanks for the suggestion. I understand you wound up in this state due to an accident; the replies here are for everyone reading so we sometimes write broader explanations than the specific question. :)

This discussion has been closed.