Password generator is missing again after recent update? [Moved; not removed]

erikjsmith
erikjsmith
Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password in the Browser

I updated two days and with the new UI there is no password generator button anymore. It's gone back to relying on the "suggested password" function by clicking on the icon in the field on the web page, which works inconsistently depending on how the web page is created.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey there @erikjsmith! :) Thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

We didn't take it away, but we did move the Password Generator in the new popup. You can find it now by clicking the encircled + sign in the top right corner of the popup. If you'd prefer using your keyboard, once the 1Password X popup is open, you can use the keyboard shortcut to open the Password Generator: ⌘ + G on macOS and ctrl + G on Windows.

• jennifergarcia
    jennifergarcia
    Community Member

I am on OSX version 7.1 and I don't see this icon.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jennifergarcia! Could you let us know what version of 1Password X you have installed in your browser?

• jennifergarcia
    jennifergarcia
    Community Member

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@jennifergarcia – I see! That's the desktop-dependent extension we offer, but we're in the 1Password X forum category. The extension you have installed operates a bit differently, and you can access the password generator by clicking the 1Password icon in your browser or menu bar, and you should see a popup with a button called + Generate Password

• philipchasen
    philipchasen
    Community Member

Hiding the password generator in the circle with + sign was a really dumb move. I pressed every button I could and never saw it. I spent almost an hour researching the problem until I finally found this forum for the answer. Please change it to make it obvious.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your feedback @philipchasen! And welcome to the forum :)

• manolosf
    manolosf
    Community Member

This is a horrible design decision. PLEASE for the love of sanity move it back.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @manolosf! Thanks for the suggestion.

• madskier5
    madskier5
    Community Member

I want to weigh in on this too. This new design is bad. Everyone shouldn't need to come to this forum to figure out where a key piece of functionality has been moved to. I tried the beta of this design and had to ask, then reverted because I hated it and now it's in the GA version and I had to come here again to figure it out again. Please put it back on the main page somehow.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The point of the new design is so that people don't need to contact us to figure out how to create a new password. Certainly some people who were used to it being in a certain place have contacted us about this, but a half dozen is a far cry from "everyone". We'll continue to tweak the design over time too in response to feedback. Thanks for weighing in. :)

• mguerard
    mguerard
    Community Member

Hi, I use the desktop version to edit my passwords at least as frequently as I do that button in my browser, probably far moreso. It's irritating as heck not to have a password generator in this thing. Am I missing it entirely? I tried hitting the + button, and there arrives a long list of options. None of them is a password generator.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mguerard: Sorry, it's right at the top:

"Hiding in plain sight", so to speak. :)

• mguerard
    mguerard
    Community Member

Hi, I use the desktop version to edit my passwords at least as frequently as I do that button in my browser, probably far moreso. It's irritating as heck not to have a password generator in this thing. Am I missing it entirely? I tried hitting the + button, and there arrives a long list of options. None of them is a password generator.

• mguerard
    mguerard
    Community Member

I honestly cannot find it. I know I sound like a goober. I would send you a screen grab, but there's info on that screen.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mguerard: I suspect a screenshot would definitely help. If you switch to a different vault and/or type nonsense into the search box, it will give you no results, so you can take a screenshot of what you see when you click "+" without revealing any of your data. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mguerard - let me see if maybe my suspicion is correct: you said you're using the "desktop version." The screenshot brenty gave you was for what you'll see if you click the 1Password X browser extension. Are you using 1Password for Windows or 1Password for Mac instead of 1Password X, and looking in the main window of the 1Password app? If so, then you're correct, there's no large button for password generation right there. But it the feature does still exist. In 1Password for Mac, it will be here:

Click the plus ( + ) button at approximately the middle of the top of the window, then choose "Password" from the drop-down menu. In 1Password for Windows, it's in a similar location. Hope that helps! :)

• mguerard
    mguerard
    Community Member

• mguerard
    mguerard
    Community Member

Thank you. I do now see how that works. It's more complicated than simply using the one in the browser extension, but sometimes it seems more convenient to use 1Password for Mac. For instance, the 1Password for Mac app offers the Watchtower thing, which I don't see in the browser extension. If you try to go through Watchtower and change passwords as they're compromised, it's convenient to have a password generator right there. Thanks so much for your very quick responses all around. Still the best app out there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mguerard - the mini/browser extension is used primarily for filling and saving of items, so its UI is different in some ways from the main app. It may help you to review these instructions for changing your passwords; that's the recommended procedure, but that does presuppose you're using the "desktop app required" version of 1Password extension in your browser, not 1Password X.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

I'm one of MANY who couldn't find the password generator until we were told of its new, wildly non-obvious, location.

Does the 1Password team do usability testing? This got through it? It's a bug.

I found it, thanks to this thread, but I'm sorry I did! 1Password unloaded my copy/paste buffer, and now I'm locked out of the website in question.

The generator, as accessed via the 1PasswordX icon & popup has a misleading "..." button. It will NOT bring up the full generator, so if you want to control the parameters of the generated password, you must navigate to the new hiding place, and be careful to paste the new password into the 1Password entry BEFORE putting it into the website.

• Hi @Netpog

I'm sorry to hear that. Would you mind elaborating about what situations you find yourself in where you need to adjust the parameters of the generated password? Ideally folks would not often need to do that. Manually adjusting those settings can lead to passwords that are less random, which is less than ideal. If you could share specific sites where you found the need to do this, and why that was, that would be very helpful.

Thank you for your feedback on this.

Ben

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Hi, @Ben, thanks for your reply. And you ask a good question. Here's when I might do that:

(1) I like to include symbols in my password, but there remain websites that insist on alphanumeric passwords only[]. Also sites that limit password length[].

(2) I sometimes have to type a password, either for sites or applications that 1Password cannot fill and that do not allow pasting into password fields[*], or (very infrequently) if I'm using a device on which I've not installed 1Password.

(3) I usually like a long password, but there are sites for which a password is required, but for which simply don't care about the security. For example, a web store that insists I create an login before it will show me shipping information[*], when it's a site where I will not store a credit card, and to which will never return.

Conversely, there are a very few high-sensitivity sites for which I'll crank up the parameters.

(4) I like to be able to see the parameters, when I'm creating a password. Perhaps only to reassure myself that the settings are what I expect. Annoying to have to drill into a menu via another pop-up, in order to do so.

[*] Pretty foolish for a site to do this, but they are out there. I can't recall a specific site, but if it would be useful, I'll try to find you one for whichever behavior you request.

Thanks!
    Dan

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@Netpog – I really appreciate you laying out each situation in detail for us! Suggested passwords are meant to fit most site's password requirements so you don't have to use the generator — just fill and go. That feature sticks to its guns with a good, strong password. The Password Generator within the popup can be used as a backup when you need it. Each situation you mentioned would be solved by the latter.

be careful to paste the new password into the 1Password entry BEFORE putting it into the website.

This is the part of your first post that I didn't understand. The Password Generator that you access underneath the + button allows you to either copy or autofill a password that you generate. Clicking the Autofill button will fill the password as well as bring up a save Login modal that lets you select the vault you'd like the item saved in. The copy button would allow for you to paste the password in the password field. At that point, you get an option to save (or update) the Login directly underneath the password field as you can see in this screenshot:

At which point would you need to paste the new password into the 1Password entry before pasting it into the website field? I haven't been able to find a reason why you'd need to do that, so if you could clarify what you mean, hopefully I can either reproduce the issue or suggest a better workflow for you. Thank you!

• dannyknowlton
    dannyknowlton
    Community Member

There's times when I would like to generate a new password and it's outside the context of creating a new or editing an existing login/password item in my vault. As a new user I found it quite frustrating not being able to find the Password Generator tool knowing that it's here somewhere! Why is it hidden!? Seems like it shouldn't be buried behind other screens. Why make me press "+" then "Password" then "Generate New Password" (3 taps or clicks) when it could just be a clearly visible button?

On my PC I can open the 1Password Mini which has a handy SHORTCUT to open the Password Generator directly. Is there any reason this shortcut isn't available in other places as well? I would love to see it in the 1Password Desktop app in the left menu pane and at the bottom of the mobile app along with Favorites, Categories, Tags, Settings.

Anyway that's my comment and suggestion. Thanks for considering it.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, @dannyknowlton! Just a heads up that this is a forum for 1Password X. It's an extension separate from the 1Password desktop apps. With 1Password X, you press a + button, then Password Generator. I don't believe that's what you're referring to, but correct me if I'm wrong. I believe you're wanting a quicker way to access the password generator in the 1Password for Windows app. Either way, we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

This discussion has been closed.