Touch ID on my Mac worked and now it is greyed out and doesn't work

Options
tommy
tommy
Community Member

I am using 1PW 7.3
Touch ID worked fine. Now suddenly it doesn't work. In the preference "enable touch ID" is greyed out
Please help

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 7.3
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Touch ID on my Mac worked and now it is greyed out

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tommy

Is 1Password for Mac unlocked while you're looking at the preferences?

Ben

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

Yes it is. I tried to quit and relaunch, same situation

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tommy - please restart your Mac. Let us know what effect that has. :)

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

That worked. Thank you
    Strange

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear a restart seems to have resolved the issue. :+1:

Ben

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben Went away, when I returned I clicked the locked 1pw, it offered touch id but it didn't recognize my finger. I unlocked with my password, locked the app and went back to 1pw, it didn't offer touch id, I unlocked it and the touch ID preference is again greyed out

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tommy - have you recently transferred user information from a Time Machine backup or Migration Assistant to a new Mac? Has anything else changed on your system recently (around the time this started happening)? Updates to macOS or changes in other parameters/software?

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Yes, this is a new computer. I transferred information from a Time Machine Backup from my previous computer. However that was close to three weeks ago and 1pw and touch ID worked fine until yesterday or the day before. I upgraded to OSX 10.14.5 as I set the new computer up. I initially had problems with the extensions, particularily the Chrome and Opera extensions but was able to solve that with articles from the knowledgebase. I mostly use Safari and have had no other trouble there. I just clicked on the Safari extension and no option to use touch ID is offered

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tommy - does Touch ID work to unlock the main 1Password app itself, when you launch it?

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Thank you. I just restarted my Mac and launched 1pw and was offered the possibility to unlock with touch ID. It worked and the touch ID preference is not greyed out (I shut the Mac down over night)
    1pw updated automatically just before I launched it.
    I will see if later in the day it stops working like it did yesterday

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tommy - sounds good! Let us know. :)

• adarsh5723
    adarsh5723
    Community Member
    Options

I can chime in here - I had the same issue when using the Normal 1P Chrome extension (that requires 1P Mac client integration), and now with 1PX (after following https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/101231/introducing-desktop-app-integration-for-mac).

Touch ID works well after either:
    1. Mac restart
    2. Turning on and off Touch ID for 1P Mac client (which requires inputting your password twice, first to turn off Touch ID, second to turn it back on)

But after this doesn't last long, and after some seemingly uncertain amount of time, both the mac client and the 1PX don't even give me the option to open 1P using Touch ID

More details about the versions:
    1PX : 1.17.0

1P : 1Password 7
    Version 7.3.3.BETA-0 (70303000)
    1Password Beta

Chrome Version: Version 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

How can I help debug the issue? Touch ID integration used to work well, and I thought it was fantastic! It's really cumbersome to type in the long 1P Master password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@adarsh5723: What OS version are you using? I haven't seen or heard of anything like that, even with the beta.

• adarsh5723
    adarsh5723
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty : Thanks for getting back to me. Apologies for the late reply, I hadn't turned on any notifications of this thread, and didn't check back in while traveling.

I'm using macOS Mojave, Version 10.14.6 (18G87).

There seem to be other threads where this is discussed: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/103752/touch-id-stops-working-after-a-while/p1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@adarsh5723: No worries. I hope you had a nice trip! :)

The issue in that other discussion was an outdated version of macOS. Apple has improved Touch ID in subsequent macOS releases the last few years. So unless there's another bug in the current (not for long) version of macOS that we're not aware of, that won't be related at all.

What do you see exactly when Touch ID "stops working"? A screenshot would be great. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

Also, to clarify, are you only having this problem when using beta Desktop App Integration between 1Password X and 1Password for Mac? Or do you also have issues with Touch ID when using the companion 1Password desktop extension?

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

It can be installed from here:

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

And it would be helpful to know if that works for you even when Touch ID does not work with 1Password X.

• adarsh5723
    adarsh5723
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks!
    I've just attached the screen shot here - 1PX Beta says it is connecting to the desktop app, which opens up without giving me the option to use TouchID.

re:Also, to clarify, are you only having this problem when using beta Desktop App Integration between 1Password X and 1Password for Mac? Or do you also have issues with Touch ID when using the companion 1Password desktop extension?

I had the same problem when using the normal 1P chrome extension and non-beta 1P desktop app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@adarsh5723:

Are you prompted to use Touch ID again after entering your Master Password once in that window?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@adarsh5723: Indeed, the 1Password for Mac unlock screen (as opposed to 1Password X) should give a message as far as why Touch ID is unavailable (if it can get that information from the OS) -- but your screenshot covered that. :)

• adarsh5723
    adarsh5723
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Nope :( The same prompt comes up after a brief amount of time.

@brenty : Yup - that's the perplexing part, it doesn't tell me something along the lines of "You'll have to enter your Master Password before you can use TouchID"

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@adarsh5723: Thanks for letting me know. What 1Password displays is based on the response we receive from macOS when we call the biometry APIs. If it's not telling us Touch ID is available to authenticate, no fingerprints are registered, the lid is closed, or the stored secret expired (based on the timer you've set), all we know is that you need to enter your password to first to enable Touch ID. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. It's just not something we have much insight into as 3rd party developers using Apple's APIs.

• adarsh5723
    adarsh5723
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    Thanks for the clarification!

Quick question - if that's the case, it shouldn't be "unpredictable", correct? I was thinking if MacOS says the APIs are not available to use, then we should never be able to use Touch ID.
    The problem I'm seeing is that Touch ID is available 1. after mac restart or 2. disabling and enabling Touch ID through 1P desktop client, but it stops working after some time.

• I was thinking if MacOS says the APIs are not available to use, then we should never be able to use Touch ID.

This assumes it is consistent in its response. It seems that is not the case, here.

Ben

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, good morning - after doing a mac update yesterday I can no longer use Touch ID to get into 1Password on my Mac. I'm using 1Password 7
    Version 7.3.3.BETA-2 (70303002)
    1Password Beta
    and Mac 10.14.6

I have rebooted my Mac and quit 1Password, but in the security tab in preferences, the use Touch ID checkbox is greyed out.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho: That's really odd, but it's like macOS isn't telling 1Password that Touch ID is available. If you remove the fingerprints in System Preferences and disable it, reboot, and then setup Touch ID again, does that help?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho: Did you try what I suggested?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Hi Brenty - sorry for the delayed response. Yes, I did that and it works great again! Thanks as always for the quick fix!

• Glad to hear that worked out. :) :+1:

Ben

• tommy
    tommy
    Community Member
    Options

The problem came back again
    I started and touch id was there. I tried to open and it didn't recognize my finger so I put in my password and it opened. Touch id was unchecked in the security panel of 1pw and grey out. No way to unlock it. I shut down and restarted, same behavior. I just restated - same bedhavior. Works fine on my iPad Air (the first by that name)
    I am running 1Password 7
    Version 7.3.2 (70302004)
    1Password Store

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tommy:

For confirmation, when you are in 1Password Preferences > Security tab, is the 1Password app currently unlocked?

This discussion has been closed.