How can I fill in a Password into a Windows network login without using my clipboard?

I just begun using 1pass, unfortunately I fail to complete my first task. I need to log into a network folder from time to time. As windows handles this, there is a "windows security" prompt asking for username and password. Now I'd like to fill my password into this window without using my clipboard. The latter is no option as my clipboard is monitored by a clipboard manager thus it is not convenient to simply copy a password. Are there any solutions?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @split.

I'm not a 1Pass team member, but I think you can do exactly that with 1Password mini, which gives you instant access to everything you have saved in 1Password so you can fill it in any Windows app. Have you tried it?

Hopefully, that works for you and if not, hit reply and someone will definitely help you out!

Cheers!

• split
    split
    Community Member

arturoaubry thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately as the "windows security" prompt is not a window on its own (no reference in taskbar) it is not listed in the list. Selecting the explorer which is causing the popup results in no success and caused my frustration :)

• split
    split
    Community Member

BTW is there a setting for 1pass mini to put out the password to the active window instead of selecting it? Is it possible to define the pass as primary output instead of right clicking all the time? Shouldn't it be possible to automatically detect if a pass or account is required? Left clicking on the account results in opening a new browser or the settings etc. instead of doing something useful.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @split,

Auto-Type, our feature that allows you to fill credentials in other Windows apps besides your browser, could help you in this situation. However, this feature is not implemented in 1Password 7 yet, so I am afraid we do not have a solution for you at this point. It is on our list, but it takes time.

Please let me know if you have other questions for us, we are always here for you. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• split
    split
    Community Member

Is this implemented in v6? maybe downgrading is a solution?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @split,

Auto-Type was a part of 1Password 4 for Windows, which never supported 1Password accounts. Moreover, it is extremely outdated, that is why we are building 1Password 7 for Windows from the ground up.

Using old versions of software is a bad practice and I can't recommend it. We will post more news about updates to 1Password 7, when we have them. Please stay tuned. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• split
    split
    Community Member

Thank you Greg for your help, i will see forward to a newer version.
    Greatings,
    Split

• If you use 1Password X as your extension, @split, you can drag and drop from there to any window to fill. Right now, 1Password X only lives in your browser, so you'd need to have your browser open to do this, but I've found it super helpful anyway. I have a browser open so often, it's rarely any fuss to pop open 1Password X and drag some credentials to a window my desktop app can't find. Anyway, just one more option for ya while we're working on Auto-type. You can learn more about 1Password X, if you're interested, right here.

• split
    split
    Community Member

Hello bundtkate,
    thanks for your suggestion. I decided to install the add on to my browser. unfortunately i do not understand how to "drag and drop" it keeps copying passwords to my clipboard, which I definitely do not want. I only find this feature in relation to the mac version of 1pass. Any suggestions or explanations?

• If you open 1Password X specifically (the one in your browser), @split, you can drag a username or password from the item's details to various apps to fill them without copying. This only works with 1Password X on Windows – it won't work in the desktop app – and you do need to be careful to drag the field's contents itself and not click the copy button. I was open to the idea that copy/paste may be involved here (though I didn't believe it was) so I tested this once again myself and even if I immediately paste after dragging, my clipboard still had a link I copied several minutes ago on it, so it is not copying passwords for sure.

I would check a few things:

1. Make sure you installed 1Password X - Password Manager and not 1Password extension (desktop app required). The former should be the only one available at the link I shared in my prior reply.
    2. Make sure you're not dragging in manner that results in you clicking the copy button that appears on hover.

Indeed, 1Password for Mac has this feature as well, but 1Password X does too and it works cross-platform thus allowing us Windows folk to join the party. :chuffed:

• split
    split
    Community Member

Hello Bundkate,
    still not working as it should. First i needed to update the app although i downloaded it after your comment. The feature it really new it seems ;). Now dragging works, as it was simply not possible in the old version. Unfortunately dropping does not. Dragging outside the browser results in a "do not obstruct" sign of windows hindering the "drop". Are you sure this works on win7? Thanks so far!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @split,

If you open your Login item in a new window by pressing this button in 1Password X:

Are you able to drag & drop item from that new window? Please let us know. If it doesn't work still, please give us an example of the website where it doesn't work and we will test it on our side. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• split
    split
    Community Member

Hello Greg, popping out a new window is neat feature!
    As described before I'm still looking for a way to get my password to a non browser based program. "If you use 1Password X as your extension, @split, you can drag and drop from there to any window to fill." as Bundtkate described. This does not seem possible.

• I'm sorry, @split, it appears I may have mislead you here. Apparently, Windows restricts dragging from a non-elevated process like 1Password X (or 1Password 7, if/when we implement same in the desktop app) to an elevated process system dialogue like the system dialogue you're trying to fill in. I wasn't aware of this restriction and haven't encountered anywhere I've been unable to fill thus far so I didn't think this dialogue would be any different. Forgive me. 🙏

Out of curiosity, are you able to paste into that dialogue? I know you don't want to in order to avoid the clipboard monitoring, but if your clipboard manager allows for exclusions, that might be an option. Some will allow you to blacklist anything copied from particular apps, so if paste works and you have the option to exclude 1Password from the clipboard manager, the better approach to the problem may be to attack it from that angle. Alternatively, you might consider a long word-based password that you can more reasonably type yourself. There are a few cases where filling isn't always practical for me (my passwords to sign into my Mac and my PC, for example) where I will use a word-based password to keep things secure without having to type something totally random which can be fairly error-prone. Perhaps the same would work well for you here. :+1:

• split
    split
    Community Member

Hello @bundtkate,
    no problem, ideas always help! :)
    Pasting is possible without any problem. Unfortunately my clipboard-manager does not support exclusions. But a good idea though, maybe a convenient temporary bypass might be changing it.
    using convenient passwords sure is possible but not the idea behind my approach using 1pwd. In my (maybe awkward?) sense of security i'd like to have a solution that is ideally independent from my browser as well in order to minimize the angle of attack. I think a browser is pretty insecure compared to a rather independent 3rd party application. Furthermore directly sending the password to the required field could even increase security, compared to typing it. which is a neat benefit.
    any further ideas are welcome. As it looks right now patience for a newer version is needed. thanks so far!

• We actually agree about browsers generally, @split, and keep that in mind when designing 1Password. Obviously, some things are going to need to be filled in browsers so we need to integrate there, but we keep the generally less secure environment of a browser in mind when doing so. In the case of 1Password X, you can learn a bit more about our thought process there in this article:

https://support.1password.com/1password-x-security/#your-data-is-protected-in-your-browser

With that said, I still think using a word-based password may be your best bet here. The problem with elevated processes is that they're likely to be protected from essentially anything we implement in 1Password. Even full-fledged AutoType is unlikely to be able to fill there since 1Password isn't itself an elevated process. Although the magic of a password manager is in the filling, the biggest security benefit really is longer, random passwords that are unique for each site/service. You get that benefit even if you still have to type at times. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.