ETA On Desktop Integration

Is there ANY ETA on Windows desktop integration for 1Password X? I'd take ETA for either beta or standard release.

If no ETA how about order of: weeks, months, years?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chumsky: It's impossible to say. Right now we're focused on enabling integration between 1Password for Mac and 1Password X. Until that's solid, we're not going to move on to doing the same with the Windows app -- and on Windows we've got a lot in the works currently in the mean time. It's just not going to be productive to speculate, as even once it's underway there can and almost certainly will be challenges. Is there a particular reason you're asking? :)

• chumsky
    chumsky
    Community Member

I am currently in my 30 day trial. In general, I like your product compared to other password managers - of which I have used many. I WANT to give my money to your company.

However, the user experience of 1Password X is FAR superior to the standard extension. With the standard extension I do not even get an indicator that 1Password has credentials saved for a particular site. I found myself getting frustrated it wasn't saving logins then realized it already had them in the vault. But as there was no indicator I was expecting it to prompt to save them. Additionally, 1Password X displays a menu directly underneath the textbox control being filled. It's much more convenient. The user experience of the standard extension is almost a non-starter.

So why not just use 1Password X? I am often closing my browser to open a new one a few minutes later. It has already gotten annoying to repeatedly re-type my master password every time this happens. I am not interested in changing my master password. I want to make use of the desktop integration so my extension can remain logged in. This is the one advantage the standard extension has over 1Password X. However, as stated above, I want the user experience of 1Password X.

Hope that explains the reason for the question.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@chumsky – Thanks for sharing that with us! I'm glad you're looking forward to what the future holds with 1Password X. I know that, by default, Windows fully closes the browser when you hit the "x" button unlike macOS, so I could see how that would be frustrating if you're constantly ending and restarting your browser session. You're right that Desktop App Integration would work well for your situation, and allow you to use 1Password X the way you want to. We'll continue to work on our current projects so we can put full focus on making Desktop App Integration on Windows possible as soon as the time comes. :)

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

Chumsky, have you considered altering your behaviour of closing the browser constantly? That's the root cause of your frustration here - 1Password's model is correct in terms of enforcing the password with each new browser session. And if you're opening it again a few minutes later, this behaviour is costing you time as well as you wait for it to load. Much faster to just leave it open all the time.

Most modern computers have no resources issues around leaving most apps open; having to close apps to free up resources to run a new app is a legacy habit picked up years ago that you can break.

Do what I do: leave the browser open all day, close it at the end of the day (on my work computer) or leave it open forever (on my personal computer).

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

You make a great point, @jasondunn!

• Cartman
    Cartman
    Community Member

Chumsky did a good job at explaining the situation. I was in his boat about a year ago and I surrendered to using the standard browser extension even though 1Password X is a much better experience. Until there is support for not having to enter your master password after every browser close I (and all our corporate users) will unfortunately keep using standard extension.....makes me quite sad. ;)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Cartman - you're not wrong about the parameters of the situation, but as jasondunn points out, leaving the browser open (all day, then closing at the end of the work day) certainly is a viable workaround until such time as Desktop App Integration is available in 1Password for Windows.

• chumsky
    chumsky
    Community Member

@jasondunn and @Lars - No thanks. I'm not interested in altering my behavior. Sometimes I close/re-open a browser after a few minutes. Sometimes a few hours. Bottom line is I do not want to re-enter my master password each time. That's the point of having the 1Password desktop software installed within Windows.

I am not interested in leaving my browser running all day. To that point I frequently use both Firefox and Chrome. I would still have to enter my password when starting each browser. I prefer software that I'm paying for to provide a good user experience based on my behavior patterns.

It seems to me another fix for this would have been for the 1Password team to revamp the integrated browser extensions to have the same user interface as they put into 1Password X. Instead, the integrated extensions have been "left behind".

Referring back to my original subject, I was merely asking for some idea of an ETA. I have gotten my answer but as best I can decipher it will be "a long while".

• jasondunn
    jasondunn
    Community Member

@chumsky You're of course welcome to use your computer however you wish, but if you expect technological workarounds to your antiquated behaviour, you may be in for a long wait. Why should 1Password devote resources to enabling this scenario? They might have data that shows this is more common than I think, but I'd much rather then use limited developer resources to improve things for ALL users not just some users who are computing like it's 1994.

People who refuse to change also stop learning better ways to do things. There is zero reason to be opening and closing browsers over and over every few hours.

But hey, it's your time you're wasting, not mine. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

I'm not interested in altering my behavior. Sometimes I close/re-open a browser after a few minutes. Sometimes a few hours.

@chumsky: That's absolutely your prerogative.

Bottom line is I do not want to re-enter my master password each time. That's the point of having the 1Password desktop software installed within Windows.

But there's cause and effect: If you close the browser, terminating 1Password X, then you will need to unlock it again when you reopen the browser. There's just no way around that when that's where it's running exclusively.

If you want a different result, you can make a different choice.

It seems to me another fix for this would have been for the 1Password team to revamp the integrated browser extensions to have the same user interface as they put into 1Password X. Instead, the integrated extensions have been "left behind".

As I mentioned in my original reply to you about two weeks ago, we're working on integrating 1Password X with the desktop apps. While that will require your patience in the mean time, it sounds like that will help your use case once it's done. Until then, you will only have to unlock 1Password when you start it after it has not been running -- in this case in your browser. How often that happens is entirely within your control.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

@chumsky It's not that the integrated browser extensions have been left behind, it's that Windows is not the priority platform for 1Password. The macOS mini extension has been redesigned twice, the design of which mimics 1Password X, and as stated macOS is where 1Password is focusing on developing the desktop integration. Meanwhile the Windows extension, along with the main app, remains practically untouched. The real choice is not whether or not you want to alter your behavior; it's whether or not as a Windows user, you're willing to accept being a second-class citizen to 1Password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@andmade - I wouldn't say Windows is not the priority platform for us. In fact, 1Password Business accounts are our largest-growing sector of new users, and the corporate world, as you know, still runs on Windows, primarily. So we're definitely developing 1Password for Windows at a pretty good clip. You can check it yourself in the release notes from our version history server.

What IS true is that when Dave and Roustem wrote the original code for 1Password, it was done on a Mac, and for several years there was only a Mac version. That's why it may still seem today that Mac is "ahead" of Windows -- because 1Password for Mac had a significant head start. There's also the fact that 1Password 4 for Windows was written in Delphi, a language that was awesome for its time, but which didn't allow us to leverage all of the newer features in Windows 10 and also the upcoming 1password.com (which was still in the planning stages at the time). So 1Password 6 for Windows and eventually 1Password 7 for Windows had to be written from the ground up in other languages, further highlighting the differences between the platforms. Our overall goal is feature parity between platforms, with the understanding that because we write native apps and macOS and Windows are, well, not the same, the two will never be 100% identical. And yes, to some degree 1Password for Windows is still playing a bit of catch-up, in comparison to where 1Password for Mac is. But that's not because we're "not focused" on Windows or consider Windows a second-class citizen/platform. Quite the contrary.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andmade: I'm on the Windows team here (though I don't discriminate and use -- and help with -- everything we make), and I can tell you definitively that we've received a tiny fraction of the criticism about 1Password mini on Windows since we rebuilt the app starting a few years ago than we did for 1Password mini on macOS last year. I'm not entirely sure why that is overall, but one indicator is that we frequently had requests to make 1Password mini on the Mac more like the Windows version. There's room for improvement, without question. But that in particular just doesn't come up much, so I was a bit surprised to see your comments. The Windows app has the benefit of us having learned from some things we tried on the Mac over the years, so the idea that Windows users are somehow missing out by not having to go through as many major changes is (I'd say from my experience helping customers on both platforms) quite contrary to how most people feel. I suspect we will get some pushback when we do release a new design on Windows too, no matter how much we've learned, because change is hard, even when it's for the better. So while I can certainly appreciate that seeing flashy new stuff can be exciting, it can also be unpleasant in equal or greater measures. So that's not an altar I'll pray to, especially being the one fielding many of the resulting complaints. :lol: I know that there haven't been a lot of flashy, sexy changes in 1Password for Windows recently, but the work we're doing there needs to be done, and requires the full attention of the development team. I'm sorry if that means that some features or improvements you're hoping for haven't seen the light of day yet in the mean time. But I can tell you we'll be happy to get back to doing more user-facing stuff once the work in progress is complete. Cheers! :)

• wfscot
    wfscot
    Community Member

Hey all,

I'm a bit mystified with the confusion here and the unfair focus on @chumsky's "antiquated behavior".

The fact is that there are two things that 1Password X on Windows doesn't do that the old extension did:
    1. Leverage the OS-level authentication capabilities for unlock (fingerprint, face, PIN, etc.)
    2. Integrate with the desktop application for session management

The net result here is that regardless of browser usage (e.g. even if you do keep it open), you a) end up having to auth unnecessarily, and b) have no option but to type your password when you do auth. Compared to the old extension, this sucks.

As a longtime 1Password user having recently upgraded to 1Password X, I'm a bit miffed that 1Password X would have shipped with this kind of missing functionality. I look forward to it getting re-added. In the meantime, I'll likely go back to the old extension.

-Scot

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@wfscot: As mentioned multiple times above, we're working to bring desktop integration to 1Password X, so it can then utilize the desktop app to support OS-level features like Windows Hello -- along with being able to share the context of the desktop app for locking, etc. There's nothing more to say about that at this time which hasn't already been said.

1Password X wasn't "shipped with this kind of missing functionality"; rather, it's been built first and foremost for people who do not have access to our desktop app/extension to use. You and anyone else with the ability to install the desktop apps can still use the latter if you prefer:

https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/

https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

This discussion has been closed.