1Password 7 won't accept master password after upgrade to family plan

nealtz
nealtz
Community Member

I already worked with 1Password and had my main vault on Dropbox. I also use an 1Password team account, managed by my employer. Today I decided to get an family subscription. I created the family account with the same Masterpassword as my Vault on Dropbox. As I finished that I got a popup that provided me the option to convert alle vault enteries over to the new 1Password family account. I did that.

Now I can login into my account on my.1password.com with the masterpassword, but the bowser extension and the app on my Mac say that the password is wrong.

When I open the preferences I see my new family account and the one from my employer:

If I click on "Abonenment aktiv" I got a message, that there are missing login enterys.

After I found this thread "1Password 7 won't accept master password after update/upgrade. — 1Password Forum" I also tried previous passwords, but that didn't work. I can't remember that I created another account like someone mentioned in that thread.

I could add the new account to my iOS apps on my iPhone and iPad, but I couldn't delete the Dropbox vault via the iOS apps, because they also want the masterpassword before they delete the vault and don't accept the correct actual masterpassword. Because I open my iOS apps via TouchID I have no problem opening.

Please help, because I use 1Password heavily for my job and can't get to my employers Password data.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: 4.7.4.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password Family Account (before Dropbox Vault)
Referrer: forum-search:update family plan masterpassword

Comments

• nealtz
    nealtz
    Community Member

I now deleted the app on my Mac with supporting files and options (via Hazel App Sweep), emptied the trash and restartet the Mac. Then I downloaded the actual Mac version from your homepage and reinstalled the app. After I did that the problem remains the same. But I wonder why are my employers and my family account already in the fresh install without me having entered anything?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @nealtz! I'm sorry for the trouble. When you first install and launch 1Password on a Mac, you will get asked how you'd like to start: create a standalone vault? Sign into a 1password.com account? Sync a Dropbox or iCloud vault? Whatever you choose, the Master Password for that vault or account becomes the one that will unlock/open the 1Password for Mac app. After that, you can add as many 1password.com accounts as you belong to...but your Master Password for the app doesn't change, unless you delete the very first one you created, when you first installed 1Password. This is how we can call ourselves "1Password" -- so you don't have to remember a bunch of different passwords for different vaults/accounts.

The Master Password for your 1Password for Mac app will be the same as it always was...unless you removed the original vault. If I read your post correctly, you initially created a standalone vault (synced via Dropbox), which had one Master Password. Then, you added a 1password.com account from your employer, and now you've created and added another 1Password Families account. Is that correct? If so, then your Master Password should still be whatever you used to use for your Dropbox vault...unless you specifically removed that older "Primary" standalone vault. Did you? When you added your new 1Password Families account to 1Password for Mac, did you remove the older Primary vault? Or, if you look in Preferences > Vaults, is Primary still there?

• nealtz
    nealtz
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

Meanwhile I could solve the problem on the Mac.

I had to log in with the password from my employers team account. Fortunately I could get the password via my iOS apps, because I always opened the app with my password from the Dropbox vault and never used the password from the employer team account for years.

I cannot confirm what you say.

You are right that I first created my 1Password vault in Dropbox, than added the 1Password team account from my employer and last added my 1Password family account today (and didn't delete the Dropbox vault). In contrast to what you mentioned 1Password switched the main masterpassword to my employers account - even while the Dropbox vault wasn't deleted.

At the moment both accounts show up in the preferences:

1. employer team account
    2. my family account

The details of the employer account show a button named: "Chance Master-Password" while the details of my family account only show a button named "Change password". I can't find an option to change the masterpassword to my family account. As workaround I changed the employer account password to my masterpassword, but I think there should be an option to choose the family account password as my masterpassword.

Now it get's even more confusing. I tried to delete the Dropbox vault on my iPad, but every password I entered (employer, my actual, my two older passwords) didn't got accepted. Then I exited the app and started it again and did try to use the password entry instead of the Touch ID. I could enter the app with my previous masterpassword before I changed it a few month ago!?

It is not very helpful that there isn't any hint which account or vault 1Password is actual using to get the masterpassword.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nealtz - we're getting a little far afield here. Let me ask you this: what are your goals here? What Master Password would you like to have unlock your 1Password apps, on all your device(s)? It's fine to make the Master Password for your 1Password Families account different than the one for your 1Password Business account from your employer, but whichever one is added first to any 1Password app becomes the Master Password for that app (whether it's Mac, Windows, iOS, etc). So let me ask you: if you visit each of your 1password.com accounts (yours, plus your account with your employer's business) in a browser, are you able to sign in there?

If so, good. If you're able to sign into your 1Password Families account, is your data from the Primary vault now in your 1Password Families vault(s)? If so, I would strongly recommend removing the Primary vault from all of your devices on which you use 1Password, because otherwise not only will you have duplicate items, the two sets of data will start to diverge, as you add/edit/delete items. Unless there's a real need to keep the Primary vault, our recommendation is to remove standalone vaults.

Please let me know if you're able to sign into both your 1password.com accounts in a browser, and what Master Password you would LIKE to use to sign into your 1Password apps (don't post the Master Password here, obviously, but let me know if you'd like it to be the one you're currently using for your standalone data, for your 1Password Families account, or for your 1Password Business account -- or something else).

• nealtz
    nealtz
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

what are your goals here? What Master Password would you like to have unlock your 1Password apps, on all your device(s)?

I want to unlock all devices with my masterpassword from the family account (previous Dropbox vault). And I don't like to use the same passwords for multiple accounts (I think your app doesn't recommend this too) and I find it irritating that now the additional account from my employer sets the masterpassword for the apps.

I think the problem lies in your decision to make the masterpassword dependent from the sequence that the accounts or vaults are added without any option to change that for the user. I only wanted to switch my Dropbox vault to the family account without changing the masterpassword.

Maybe I can solve that, if I delete the employer account from the app und add it again, so that it becomes an older addition than my family account!?

if you visit each of your 1password.com accounts (yours, plus your account with your employer's business) in a browser, are you able to sign in there?

Yes

Unless there's a real need to keep the Primary vault, our recommendation is to remove standalone vaults. [...]

That was the problem. When I tried to remove the Dropbox vault from my iPhone and my iPad the app asked for my password for the vault and didn't accept the masterpassword (vault and family password & employer password). It worked at least on the iPad with my previous password and on my iPhone with the one before that (I change the masterpassword every year).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nealtz - here's what I'd recommend. On all your devices, Start Over. WARNING: this will delete all the data from your device(s), but not from the 1password.com servers. So it will remove any standalone vaults/data, but when you next launch 1Password, it will be as if you're a brand-new user. Sign into your 1Password Families account, and once you've done that, add back in your account from your employer. That should get you where you want to be. Let me know how you get on.

• nealtz
    nealtz
    Community Member

:-) ... it worked!

Now my family account sets the masterpassword on all devices.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nealtz - glad I was able to help. :)

• jeff_raugh
    jeff_raugh
    Community Member

I recently migrated to a family account. My Chrome browser extension works fine but the app doesn't. I understand I have to migrate my vaults to the new family account. However when I follow the instructions to download the apps I can't get past the sign-in to the app. It won't use the master password or any of the vault passwords.

What am I missing?

• Hi @jeff_raugh

Are you able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/ ? If so do you see all of your data there?

Ben

• jeff_raugh
    jeff_raugh
    Community Member

yes all of my data is there on the web version.

I am using a work laptop where Windows 10 security has been locked down. I notice that I can perform the migration in my Admin account no problem. However the migrated data is not available on my windows user account. If I perform the migration using my user account the steps to migrate won't complete because I can't sign into the app (step 2 of getting the apps) because master password doesn't work.

• @jeff_raugh

If all of your data is available in the web interface I'm not sure why you're trying to do a migration. 🤔The data is already migrated. Open 1Password. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the onscreen instructions. The next time you open 1Password, you’ll be asked to create a new vault or sign in to your account. Choose the latter and use the same credentials you use at https://my.1password.com :+1:

Ben

• jeff_raugh
    jeff_raugh
    Community Member

The actual problem I am trying to solve is that I cannot get the 1P app to accept my master password. I want to use the 1P extension on both Chrome and Edge browsers. Extension works perfectly on Chrome. On Edge I can't get past the login. I understand the Edge extension relies on the app which also doesn't accept my master password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jeff_raugh - in that case, it sounds as if you've still got a standalone Primary vault with one Master Password that's different from your 1password.com account, which has a different Master Password. Could that be possible? If you've installed 1Password X into one browser and the standard ("desktop app required") extension into the other browser, this might explain why the Master Password you're trying to use works in one place and not the other. Can you tell me: if you open 1Password for Windows and look at 1Password > Settings > Vaults, what do you see? Is there a vault in there called Primary? Or other standalone vaults as well?

• jeff_raugh
    jeff_raugh
    Community Member

Thanks @lars I got it figured out. I found another posting in this forum that recommended deleting the 1P data file from the local machine and reinstalling. That worked! I can now log into the 1P app and use the Chrome extension.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jeff_raugh - excellent! Glad you were able to sort everything out. :)

This discussion has been closed.