1Password 6 plugin for Safari

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Is 1Password6 still supported?.

Comments

• robot999
    robot999
    Community Member
    Options

I see that the question re: Chrome is solved. Please provide the 1PW plugin for V6 for SAFARI. Thanks in advance.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @robot999! I'm not quite sure what you're asking for. What do you mean by "plugin?" What are you trying to install, and what version of macOS and of 1Password for Mac are you running?

• robot999
    robot999
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. I'm running OSX 10.15 Catalina and the 1PW browser extension is not showing up on my Safari toolbar (like it did with Mohave).
    My 1PW app (1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001) runs fine in the new OS, but when I try to install the extension, it indicates that only 1PW v7, which I do not have at this time. When I click on "Download Extension for 1 Password 6" I do not see the extension there.
    Hope that clarifies my inquiry.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019
    Options

@robot999: Ah, thanks for clarifying. Sorry for the confusion there. You're gonna run into the following problems:

• 1Password 6 was discontinued about a year and a half ago and does not support Mojave or Catalina.
    • Safari 13 does not at all support the old .safariextz that 1Password 6 (and earlier) used.

You can find more information here:

1Password 6 for Mac won’t fill or save in Safari 13 or later

Long story short, Safari 13 requires a Safari App Extension, and we created one and shipped it last autumn in the current version of 1Password. So if you upgrade, that will work for you. You can get all the apps and updates as part of a 1Password membership. Otherwise you can continue using the old version of 1Password with the browser versions it supports. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• padrepipes
    padrepipes
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,

Thanks for clarifying this but I found that it did work with Safari 13 for a couple of days and then after restarting my MacBook Pro it disappeared from the toolbar.

1Password 6 works perfectly and I really don't want to have to spend more...

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thanks for clarifying this but I found that it did work with Safari 13 for a couple of days and then after restarting my MacBook Pro it disappeared from the toolbar.

I'm not sure how that would be possible considering 1Password 6 has no code in it to interface with Safari 13. Very odd.

1Password 6 works perfectly and I really don't want to have to spend more...

I can understand that position, but reality is as you continue to upgrade other software around 1Password it'll be less and less feasible to continue to run a legacy version. You're certainly welcome to if you'd like, but 1Password 6 is never going to work with Safari 13 or later. You would likely need to switch to a different web browser if you were to want to continue with v6. Chrome or Firefox should continue to work for now. That said, as a security focused company we'd always recommend running the latest versions of all of your software, but especially your operating system, web browser(s), and 1Password.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.