How do I restore the Touch ID option to unlock 1Password?

Options
coldrolledsteel
coldrolledsteel
Community Member

The Touch ID option to open 1Password on my iPhone no longer appears on the opening screen of the app. A "key" icon, the word "Password" plus the iPhone keyboard immediately appear below the "Master Password" dialogue box on the screen. Although I use the master password to open 1Password I would prefer the the more convenient Touch ID option. Touch ID is enabled in the iOS Settings and works for iPhone unlock, Apple Pay, iTunes & App Store, and Password AutoFill. Also, 1Password is sync'd between my Mac and iPhone.

I would appreciate your guidance.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 12.1.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @coldrolledsteel

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty with Touch ID. Let's see what we can do to get that sorted out for you.

A "key" icon, the word "Password" plus the iPhone keyboard immediately appear below the "Master Password" dialogue box on the screen.

This is the iOS 12 Password AutoFill feature. It is unrelated to unlocking the 1Password app. We'd love to not have that display on the 1Password lock screen at all, but we don't currently have a way of changing that.

Although I use the master password to open 1Password I would prefer the the more convenient Touch ID option. Touch ID is enabled in the iOS Settings and works for iPhone unlock, Apple Pay, iTunes & App Store, and Password AutoFill. Also, 1Password is sync'd between my Mac and iPhone.

Please try this:

1. In 1Password > Settings > Security make sure Touch ID is enabled. If it is, continue on to the next set of instructions. If it is not please enable it and see if that helps.

Assuming the above does not resolve the issue:

1. In 1Password > Settings > Security disable Touch ID
    2. In the iOS Settings app under Touch ID & Passcode select the "Reset Touch ID" option
    3. Restart the device (instructions)
    4. Enable Touch ID in the Settings app under Touch ID & Passcode
    5. Enable Touch ID in 1Password > Settings > Security

Please let me know how that turns out.

Ben

• coldrolledsteel
    coldrolledsteel
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Ben for the guidance. After writing to you I tried iOS Settings app one more time. I cycled off, then on, the Touch ID & Passcode setting and Touch ID was restored to 1Password. I'll keep your five step procedure for the future.

Carl

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update Carl. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• tokenhaole
    tokenhaole
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem, but when I go to Settings - Security, nothing appears there about Touch ID for me to enable or disable. How can I turn Touch ID back on? Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @tokenhaole

For Touch ID options to be available in 1Password Touch ID has to be enabled for unlocking the device. Are you able to unlock your device with Touch ID? Could you please post a screenshot of what you do see in 1Password > Settings > Security?

▷ How to take a screenshot

Thanks!

Ben

• tokenhaole
    tokenhaole
    Community Member
    Options

Problem solved! I had upgraded to a new phone, and although I had put in the thumbprint when setting up the new phone, the enabled setting of iPhone Unlock had not carried over to the new phone during the reloading. Once I set it to enabled, the Touch ID option reappeared in the 1password Settings - Security. Thanks for the prompt assistance.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ah, indeed. For security, even on the same phone, registering additional fingerprints will result in Touch ID being disabled for 1Password, since otherwise someone who gets access to your device could simply add their own fingerprints and use them to unlock 1Password without your Master Password. Anyway, glad you were able to set it up. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.