Edit a Login within 1P Chrome Extension - a bug or an intended behavior?

Mr_Zaggy
Mr_Zaggy
Community Member

I noticed that when I try to edit a login within the 1Password Chrome extension by clicking on "Edit" button in the lower left corner of the extension, the edit login screen "jumps" out and becomes pinned on screen in edit mode.

Is this an intended behavior for the edit screen mode to be pinned on screen as if I clicked on "Pin on Screen"?

1Password Version: 7.3.1 (70301008)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Sierra 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mr_Zaggy: Yep that's intentional. The "pin to screen" view is more robust than what we have in mini since we want to keep mini relatively light. So we use that separate view for full details, including editing them. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mr_Zaggy: Thanks for the feedback! I don't think that website design should necessarily be applied to a password manager (for a number of reasons), but as far as button placement it's not set in stone and we'll continue to evaluate things based on feedback from everyone. I tend to agree with you on #3, but other things would have to change in order to accommodate that, and I'm not sure that would be worth it. #5 (and, really, your original post as well) is interesting to me because I don't believe we've heard that from anyone else. I just don't know what the alternative would be. Imagine if the main 1Password window or another app closed its UI just because you finished editing. It's worth considering though.

Regarding the password generator, that's a very intentional change (you can read more about that here: having a checkbox is easier to use and also doesn't result in users limiting the entropy of the passwords the generate on an ongoing basis needlessly. A lot of people would set the old one to "1 digit", "10 digits" (the maximum), etc., and that prevented them from having a password chosen truly at random in the sense that once that limit was met numbers would not be used for the rest of the password. Given that (even in testing thousands of websites in the process of helping customers and testing things) I have yet to see a site in years that demanded only a specific number of digits/symbols (what I see often is "at least one ..."), I tend to agree with this change; you can still get at least one ()and potentially more, chosen at random) by clicking the checkbox. But if there are specific reasons -- or websites -- why you need to be able to specify the number of them, please let us know so we can factor that into our decision making process along with feedback from everyone else and real-world testing. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

To be honest (respectfully) I do not buy what you said in your first sentence - whether it is a website or any other app, the position of UI elements should still make sense and provide an intuitive user experience.

@Mr_Zaggy: Thanks for your honesty. We may have to agree to disagree on this point, which is fine, but I'll just say this: with webpages, having anything at the bottom is kind of a problem because they can be of pretty much any length. So I agree completely with not having important stuff down at the end of a long scroll through a webpage. 1Password mini, however, is very different from this in that it's a relatively small window that does have a well-defined bottom/end to it, and the user even has control over its length. I'm not saying that the current placement is "right" and your opinion is "wrong". I think it's subjective in a lot of ways, and am just pointing out that the comparison is a bit apples and oranges in this case. :)

Right now, based on what I described earlier, some things just do not make sense to me. That's what I was trying convey.

I understand completely. It's something we'll continue to discuss. Thanks for sharing your perspective on this. :)

Regarding #5, I think you misunderstood me - I do not want the main 1Password window or another app to close its UI just because you finished editing. What I was trying to convey that I have to do extra clicks in order to get back to the main window after I finished editing. I hope this makes sense.

I did misunderstand. Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure about clicks, so if you'll let me know the specifics maybe that will help. Typically when I want 1Password mini I just hit ⌘ ⌥ \ on the keyboard since it's quick and easy (being very similar to the "fill" shortcut: ⌘ \).

Regarding the password generation, I already had a feeling that it is probably related to entropy and the post by Jeffrey Goldberg confirms that. His comment makes sense to me. Thank you for pointing me to the post.

You're very welcome! I think his explanation is really useful too, so I'm glad that helped. Cheers! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback. We'll take it into consideration along with everyone else's. Have a great weekend! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

What we were discussing in the previous thread has nothing to do with Chrome or a browser extension. What you're referring to is 1Password for Mac. I appreciate that you would like the app to be changed in certain ways that you would prefer, but we need to take feedback from all of our customers into account, not just you. Opening multiple discussions and going around in circles about the same thing will not change that. We'll continue to improve our software with all of our users in mind, prioritizing the things that do the greatest good for the largest number of people we can. Perhaps in the future we'll make some changes in the areas you have in mind as a result. But as a general rule we do not discuss "upcoming plans" as they're subject to change. Take care.

This discussion has been closed.