New MacBook - Can't access my keychain

raymondw999
raymondw999
Community Member

Hello - I have been using 1Password on my iMac, iPad and iPhone for years. I'm on a pretty old version of 1Password on my iMac. My keychain is stored in dropbox and is called 1Password.agilekeychain. I can't seem to access this from v7 on the new MacBook, but having read a few posts that is not surprising. My question is can I have a set up that will support both my MacBook as well as my old (2009) iMac? If so, can you please explain how I can do this. I also understand there is a new pricing structure where I can either pay for a licence or pay a regular subscription. A link to this would also be appreciated. Thanks for your help. I have enjoyed using this tool for many years so I hope this can continue.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:upgrading to 1password 7

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

Welcome to the forum, @raymondw999! Thanks for being a long-time 1Password user. :) Let's see if we can get you on a stable setup using your current array of devices.

You're correct that the Agile Keychain format has been formally retired in 1Password 7 across all platforms. If you're running 1Password 7, you'll need to use its successor, OPVault if you're syncing via Dropbox. However, as you noted, we've been busy in recent years. In late 2015, we debuted 1password.com accounts (memberships). In 1password.com accounts, we act as your data host and sync provider, meaning we've been able to create a purpose-built solution that only handles your 1Password data, not all the other kinds of data that a service like Dropbox or iCloud has to handle. The result is far and away the best 1Password experience yet, and this is the way to go now, if you can. An individual membership is $2.99/mo (if paid annually: $35.88/yr), while a 1Password Families membership that covers up to five users in the household and gives everyone their own Private vault plus access to the family-wide Shared vault, is $4.99/mo ($59.88/yr).

I said "if you can" because there are indeed some restrictions on 1Password accounts in terms of the age of devices/versions of macOS you can use. You'll need to be on at least OS X 10.10 ("Yosemite") in order to run 1Password 6 for Mac -- which is the oldest version of 1Password that will work with a 1password.com membership. You didn't mention what version of OS X or (hopefully) macOS you're running on that older 2009 iMac, but if you can't run Yosemite on it at least, you won't be able to use a 1password.com membership because you won't be able to install 1Password 6 for Mac. I'd strongly recommend you install the latest operating system you can, and run 1Password 7 for Mac if possible.

If you're willing/able to meet the minimum requirements to run recent versions of macOS and 1Password, switching from your old Agile Keychain to a 1password.com membership should be pretty straightforward. You mentioned you've already installed 1Password 7 for Mac on your new MacBook Pro - do you have any data there? What did you after installing, on first-run? Did you create a standalone vault? Try to import your Agile Keychain? Create a 1password.com trial account? Something else?

• raymondw999
    raymondw999
    Community Member

Hi Lars - Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.
    I’m actually on holidays at the moment so I can’t be certain what version of MacOS I am on, but I know it is the latest that my hardware can support. If I had to take a stab I think it is Yosemite so I might be in luck.
    As for my new MacBook - I installed the software from your website. I am then presented with the welcome screen asking whether I am new to 1Password or have used 1Password before. I choose the latter option and select Sync using Dropbox. I then am taken to the Dropbox screen where I can either Choose File from Dropbox or Pick a different location. I select Choose File and I am taken to my Dropbox directory. My 1Password.agilekeychain file is at the top of the list but it seems to be greyed out and the tick in green circle is also dim compared to other files so it cannot be selected.
    That is as far as I can get. I hope this is enough information to enable you to guide me further.
    I can also confirm I currently have a licence for 1Password 5.
    Really appreciate your help.
    Regards,
    Raymond.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@raymondw999 - thanks for the clear set of steps you've taken so far, that was helpful! The reason that won't work on a brand-new Mac is that installing 1Password 7 is designed to leverage existing data from earlier versions and convert it into 1Password 7 format. Along with this, if you've been using an Agile Keychain for Dropbox sync (which you have), then the initial setup will also offer to convert that to the newer OPVault format. But, because on this this new Mac, you don't have any older 1Password database in your user/library folder, and 1Password 7 for Mac can't read the Agile Keychain format, that's why it's grayed out and you can't proceed.

Fortunately, there's a way around this that's pretty simple, and I'd be happy to share it with you. However, you need to decide how you want to proceed first, since the steps to re-establish a standalone vault synced via Dropbox are quite different than the steps to set up a 1password.com account. Did you have an idea of what you wanted to do? As I mentioned earlier, we strongly recommend the 1password.com membership because it avoids many of the struggles of standalone 1Password like the one you're facing now - outdated versions on your Mac, and 3rd-party data format/sync issues. However, we do still sell standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac (they're currently $49.99), for those who know what they are and already know they want the "DIY" experience licenses offer. Let me know which way you'd like to proceed and I can help you with specific steps. It will also help a lot if you can tell me specifically what versions of both OS X or macOS and 1Password you're running on the older Mac. Thanks! :)

• raymondw999
    raymondw999
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Lars. I am leaning towards the membership option but I will need to wait until I get home to verify what MacOS I am running. Hopefully I am on Yosemite.
    I'll get back to you early next week.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• raymondw999
    raymondw999
    Community Member

Hi Lars - I'm back home and can confirm I am running OSX10.11.6 - El Capitan.
    Can you please talk me through my options - as I mentioned previously, I'm leaning towards the subscription model.
    I understand this will bypass my requirement for dropbox account.
    I would like to have access to my account from my old iMac, new MacBook, iPhone and iPad. Is this all included in the subscription?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@raymondw999

I would like to have access to my account from my old iMac, new MacBook, iPhone and iPad. Is this all included in the subscription?

So, a few things about that. Yes, a 1password.com membership (subscription) includes access to all our 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android). You can install any of these on as many devices as you own or use 1Password on, without additional charge or limitation. So, there's no "rules-based" restriction on using 1Password on all your devices

That said, there very well may be some age/hardware/software-based limitations. For example, if you're running El Capitan on the old iMac, you'll be limited to 1Password 6 for Mac, which will work with a 1password.com account...but only the latest versions of it - you'll want the final version (6.8.9). You can download 1Password 6 for Mac from our downloads page -- scroll down to the "Using an older computer?" section, and you'll see the link for 6.8.9. If at ALL possible, I'd recommend updating your version of macOS on the older iMac to the most-recent version possible; it will reduce the likelihood of age-related incompatibilities for the longest time.

Since 1Password 6 for Mac and El Capitan will allow you to use a 1password.com membership, I'd still recommend that route overall...but with the caveat that version 6 of 1Password for Mac has been in "legacy" mode for more than a year now and will not be receiving further development attention or compatibility updates. Already, there are things that simply won't work in 1Password 6 for Mac with the newest versions of macOS (Safari 13 explicitly forbids the style of extension used in 1Password 6 for Mac now, for example, and there will be more of these). My STRONG recommendation is that you update the older iMac as far as you can on the macOS train -- it will preserve compatibility for longer, both with 1Password and with other software. But the bottom line is that at some point, you just cannot expect to retain compatibility between a brand new device running the latest macOS/browser/version of 1Password (and other software) and a much-older Mac that's hardware-limited to a version of OS (and therefore everything else) that's from many years ago. At some point advances and changes just make that gap too large to bridge. Similarly, if you've got a very old iPad or iPhone, the same issues will eventually start to apply. As a security company, we recommend people keep their versions of all critical software up-to-date, and that includes not just 1Password but also their OSes and browsers, which contain important security updates/fixes.

Here's how to go about this:

1. Visit https://start.1password.com/sign-up/ on one of your Macs and create your 1password.com account. You can use the same Master Password you're currently using for your standalone data, assuming you feel your current Master Password is long, strong, and has not been breached or disclosed to anyone. Whatever you choose, at the end of the sign-up process, you'll be required to download your Emergency Kit. Save it as a PDF or print it out and save it in a safe location. Write your Master Password on it in the space provided, if you used a new one you might forget.
    2. On your iMac, make sure you're running 1Password 6 for Mac (6.8.9). If you aren't, update to that version.
    3. Follow these instructions to switch from the older Agile Keychain format of Dropbox sync keychain to the newer OPVault format on the iMac.
    4. On the new MacBook, if you've already been trying to install/set up 1Password and it's not been working, let's start with a clean slate. If you have 1Password data on the new MacBook that A. you need and B. is NOT yet anywhere else, don't take these steps; let me know. Otherwise, proceed): in 1Password for Mac, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data. This will remove all 1Password data so the next time you launch 1Password, it will be as if you've just installed the app.
    5. At the startup screen, choose Dropbox as your data source and enter your Master Password; this will create a standalone ("Primary") vault synced via the OPVault on Dropbox you created in step 3 above.
    6. Once your data is successfully imported/visible, follow these steps to add your account into 1Password 7 for Mac on the MacBook, migrate the data, and (lastly) remove the old, standalone Primary vault.
    7. Return to the iMac, lock 1Password, then Start Over by clicking Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data once more. When you re-open 1Password, just sign in with your new account's credentials, and you should see all your data.
    8. On your iOS devices, follow these steps to sign into your account and remove your old, now-unnecessary Primary vault.

Let me know how you get on! :)

This discussion has been closed.