Making updates more comfortable

Hello,
after downloading an update of 1P the update window tells to close Firefox. So I have to close Firefox, continue the update, start Firefox again an restore the session with session manager. Well, that's not your level of comfort, is it? Why doesn't 1P update as any other add-on: download, update and use the new version after a restart.
If that is not possible for 1P (what I can't imagine if I look at an extensive add-on like Zotero, that updates nicely automatically) I hope for is this:
When 1P has downloaded an update, it should ask whether it shall automatically close Firefox, update and restart Firefox with the current session - and do so if the user agrees.
Thank you very much, I'd much more like to update my 1P.
Regards

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for your post, bege. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the update process.

As I understand it, the update installer needs to overwrite files, which it cannot do if the browser is using those files. We require the browsers to be closed to ensure that the extension files are not in use.

If I'm offered an update at an inconvenient time, I simply reject the offer. I can wait until the next time I launch 1Password or simply choose Help > Check for New Version at a more convenient time. I do the same thing with updates of Windows, Office, Adobe Reader, iTunes, and all the other software that tells me I'll need to relaunch the program—or even reboot Windows!—to install an update.

Thanks again for your patience.
  • bege
    bege
    Community Member
    Hi DBrown,
    thank you for your answer.

DBrown wrote:

If I'm offered an update at an inconvenient time, I simply reject the offer.

That's what I am doing pretty often.
    DBrown wrote:

I can wait until the next time I launch 1Password or simply choose Help > Check for New Version at a more convenient time.

I usually use 1P after I have worked with Firefox a while, so I am always in the middle of my work. There is hardly a more convenient time. To choose Help > Check for New Version I need to launch 1P first, which is not possible from the add-on (different post). So all in all it is extremely inconvenient to update 1P.
    DBrown wrote:

I do the same thing with updates of Windows, Office, Adobe Reader, iTunes, and all the other software that tells me I'll need to relaunch the program—or even reboot Windows!—to install an update.

To install the updates of Windows and Office I don't need to reboot. They are just downloaded and installed - and the new version is used after a new or re-boot, and I can conveniently decide when to do that.
    Adobe Reader updates with the update routine, so it is updated before I start it. iTunes I don' use.

If I remember correctly 1P in the BETA phase did what I am asking for: Install and restart Firefox with the current session. Maybe I am wrong, but I find the current update process annoying.
    Sorry for my impatience :wink:
    Regards
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks again for your post, bege.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    isn't "extremely inconvenient" somewhat exaggerated? the only thing it does not do is remember your session.
This discussion has been closed.