Favourite items are being added by another person in my team

finwe
finwe
Community Member
edited June 2019 in Business and Teams

I noticed a weird thing today: a new favourite Login appeared in my local 1Password. I noticed, because 1 only have 3 favourite items and suddenly there were 4.

It is in a shared vault of my company but I have never seen or touched the item.

Is this some weird feature, or is this a bug? When I unfavourite this, will this have effect on others' favourite state of the Login?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: n/a
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password Team & Business

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @finwe!

If an item is in a shared vault, every change made to that item will be seen by every user who has access to the shared vault. This includes marking an item as Favorite, so what you are seeing is expected behavior :)

When I unfavourite this, will this have effect on others' favourite state of the Login?

Yes, if you do that, the item will be unmarked immediately, including for the user who originally marked it as favorite.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Is this a wise behaviour? When a person from the team marks all items as favourite, it will spam all other users' favourite items? Does that even remotely make sense?

Is there a way to disable this behaviour?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@finwe:

Every item change in an item is propagated to every user with access to a shared vault (that's exactly the point of having a shared vault). If you edit an item in a shared vault by, for example, changing its password or adding a tag, every user will get the updated item (and a new tag in their list too, in case they didn't have it already). In the same way, adding the item to the Favorites is just like any other change to an item.

When a person from the team marks all items as favourite, it will spam all other users' favourite items?

Only the Favorites list related to the shared vault, or if you are in All Vaults view, in which case this behavior makes sense. If you switch to a specific vault, you will only see items which have been added as Favorites in that specific vault.

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Thanks for your answers, no matter how they didn't make me happy.

This behaviour does make sense only when you grasp the Favourite concept the other way around. In a way it cannot be grasped, when you start with a non-shared Vault (or even standalone 1Password 4) and you use Favourites as Bookmarks. A quick selection menu, as Favourites are handled in most applications.

I am always in All Vaults view. I don't see a reason why I should juggle between Vaults to see a specific favourite item. To remember in which Vault the favourite item is. If items can appear and disappear from the Favourites tab and I have to pause and think where to look for an item, I can use search in the main list directly and the whole Favourites tab stops being useful (to me, but I doubt I am the only one who grasped Favourites in this manner).

I'd venture a guess that just sharing the flag of an item was easier to implement than to create a user-specific favourites module, right? Screw user habbits and common patterns.

I hate being this grumpy with you (both person and a company), but my user experience with 1Password has been falling the last few months.

• Hey @finwe.

You're certainly not the only one who would prefer favorites work on a per-person basis, rather than being global. I'd love to see that as well. I can't make any promises but hopefully we'll be able to make that happen in the future.

Ben

• finwe
    finwe
    Community Member

Awesome to hear that! Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @finwe!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• dadiv
    dadiv
    Community Member

I am shocked to learn that favorites are sync'd across vaults as well, and shared across users, though as we've started using favorites more, I have finally seen actual evidence of this in my vaults. This is so totally counterintuitive to the way I assumed this feature would work.

Can a 1Password Team Member explain what the point is of making something a favorite of mine, if therefore it also becomes the favorite of everyone else? We might as well just add special letters to the beginning of titles of entries to make them sort more preferably. (Note: I am using 1Password for Families personally, and with teams at work.)

The currently missing value of this feature is to make the logins you care about easy to get to, when you're sharing credentials on a team or in a family. Without per-user scoping, favorites is equivalent to just editing entries, and seems totally pointless.

Is there really any hope that this will be changed anytime soon? I noticed archived conversations on this topic going back to 2016. I am otherwise a major 1Password fan and evangelist, but this particular issue makes me really cranky!

(Grumble grumble, back I go to sifting through a dozen team Gmail logins to find my own personal credentials...)

• @dadiv

Sorry to have made you feel that way. I agree, and I doubt you'd get much if any argument from anyone on our team. The difficulty is primarily one of legacy and priorities. The favorites feature was built before many people were using 1Password to share data and so that concept wasn't a strong consideration when building the feature. Going back and changing how it works now will be a rather large undertaking as the framework will have to be added in underneath the existing UI. We just don't have anything right now to build upon for that sort of a shift. Each of the clients would have to be updated as well. Compared to the amount of time and effort required the level of customer feedback on this has been relatively low. That's not to say that we won't ever consider doing so, but we do have some other irons in the fire that need to be sorted before we can even really take a close look at it.

Ben

• dadiv
    dadiv
    Community Member

@Ben ,

Thanks for the candid reply - I appreciate it. Even though it means I'll still have to scroll through an occasionally frustrating number of entries to find what I'm looking for, 1Password remains irreplaceable and indispensable in my workflow.

Cheers to you & the team for making it amazing, and thanks for the attention even when the news isn't hopeful.

David

• You're very welcome. I do personally hope that someday we'll be able to address this, but I think it is worth being up front about the fact that it likely won't be in the near future.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.