Password Special Character - Feature Request

Keeirin
Keeirin
Community Member

Hello,

I am not sure if this has already been posted, but I was not able to find it anywhere. I am just starting to use 1password, which I have been enjoying, however my one issue is I cannot edit the "Special Character" options which would be very helpful. As not every site accepts every "Special Character" having the ability to enter in something like "$%^,.>" etc. would be very helpful.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

Thanks for getting in touch! Indeed, it would be nice in some cases to be able to specify the symbols used. Thankfully that's becoming less and less of an issue, as websites adopt better security practices with regard to password acceptance and storage. It's a feature we may add in the future though, but only if we can find a good way of doing it that doesn't cause issues for the vast majority of users. Thank you for your feedback on this! :)

• Turbo53
    Turbo53
    Community Member

I have just gone through my quarterly activity of changing all my passwords and this reminds me of how prevalent this problem is. In the worst case only hyphen and underscore are accepted. I have 34 passwords to manage. Consider that in addition to any site that has our credit card I include any site that has personal information that could be used for identity theft such as the following sites for both myself and my wife. Social Security, Medicare, Mail order prescription drug sites, and different sites to communicate with 2 different.doctors. We're not as sick as that makes it sound but after 65 life does get a bit more complicated. There are also Federal, State, and local tax sites. Not to mention a bank and a brokerage company and my former employer on various issues. It all adds up.

I constantly find myself altering the special characters generated by 1Password into characters accepted by the site.
    I would LOVE to have a way to configure each site individually so 1Password would know what is acceptable.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Turbo53: Thanks for chiming in. I can't say I recall ever encountering a site that required symbols but one allowed - or _, but I don't doubt some exist somewhere. I don't think we want (or can expect) to make users set custom generation options on a per-site basis, and that could quickly get confusing. But one thing we'd like to do in the future is have a database in 1Password itself which tells it requirements for specific sites we've added so it can generate the best password within those constraints automagically. But in the mean time, if you run into a situation like that again, you can just click anywhere within the generated password and type -, _, etc. to easily meet the requirement, with the whole rest of the password being completely random. Cheers! :)

• Turbo53
    Turbo53
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Thanks for the response but this particular site doesn't require special characters but just ALLOWS those two.
    I guess the point is that it can sometimes be a pain to stay within the particular requirements of a site.

The database idea is good but there are always some rare sites that won't show up during your research. If you do this then there should be a way for users to report exceptions that are either very rare or not available to the general public such as my former employer's site.
    Not trying to pull rank here but I was in the IT industry from 1975 until retiring in 2012. I always found that when my clients were confused by something they were always satisfied if I just made it an option. Make it clear that you can either click on this box or ignore it

That was my wife's experience too. Like so many other couples we met through work. I was the vendor and she was the customer. No ethical problems I hope :-)
    She was in the U. S. from Canada on a H-1 B visa and after 37 years of marriage is still a Canadian citizen today if that helps my case. LOL LOL LOL :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the response but this particular site doesn't require special characters but just ALLOWS those two.

@Turbo53: Ahh okay. Thanks for clarifying! That makes a little more sense. ;)

I guess the point is that it can sometimes be a pain to stay within the particular requirements of a site.

Indeed. We're certainly in agreement on that point!

The database idea is good but there are always some rare sites that won't show up during your research. If you do this then there should be a way for users to report exceptions that are either very rare or not available to the general public such as my former employer's site.

Exactly. :)

Not trying to pull rank here but I was in the IT industry from 1975 until retiring in 2012. I always found that when my clients were confused by something they were always satisfied if I just made it an option. Make it clear that you can either click on this box or ignore it

I hear you, but I can tell you from experience here that people often select options they don't understand, forget they've done so, and then later run into issues because of that -- and it's hard for anyone to even figure out what's going on. Just yesterday I helped someone who was "missing" some important data because they couldn't find it in 1Password mini when using their browser, and it was because at some point in the past -- perhaps even distant past -- they'd changed the "Display" option to "Never in browser". And that's just a single example. Sometimes I wish we'd never added that option, because this sort of thing comes up fairly often. But it's much harder to remove features, even those that are perhaps better done without, after the fact, so we try to be more careful these days about adding more, because there can always be repercussions, not just in terms of usability but also bugs due to complexity and intersections with other features/configurations.

I guess long story short, in this case, if we find a good way of having 1Password keep track of password requirements for sites, even a single person telling us about an obscure one would help anyone else who needs to generate a password for that in the future. If nothing else, you reporting the site will make your future password changes easier. So that's what we'd like to do going forward. :)

That was my wife's experience too. Like so many other couples we met through work. I was the vendor and she was the customer. No ethical problems I hope :-) She was in the U. S. from Canada on a H-1 B visa and after 37 years of marriage is still a Canadian citizen today if that helps my case. LOL LOL LOL :-)

Hey, if you've found happiness together as a result, I'm happy for both of you and can't imagine anyone would begrudge you that. Congratulations! :chuffed: :+1:

This discussion has been closed.