To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Family member not seeing Shared vault, only Personal

Madcitydon
Madcitydon
Community Member

I have a Families trial account and am not understanding how it works for the member of my family who is listed under the “Shared” vault. I have invited him to be a family member and he has accepted. He shows up on the “People” page when I log into the 1Password7 Mac application as myself. When he logs into the same application on his Mac as himself only the “Personal” vault shows up, with no option for him that I can see for him to access the “Shared” vault that he has been invited to (and accepted the invitation). Should the $4.99 / month cover both of us as members of the family? It appears that he’ll be charged $2.99 / month himself in addition to the $4.99 that we’re paying as a family once the trial is over. I don’t see anything on the 1Password support page that says more about making these two accounts work together as a family.

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS
Sync Type: Whatever the default is

Comments

• Madcitydon
    Madcitydon
    Community Member

It DOES appear that he can log onto the 1Password Web page for the family account using his own password and see the Shared vault. Does this not work with the Mac OS desktop application as well?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Madcitydon: A 1Password Families membership includes up to five people you invite in the base price.

There are only two reasons not to see the contents of a family Shared vault in the desktop app:

• Viewing "All Vaults" and that vault has been hidden from there in Preferences -- in which case it can still be selected by the vault switcher
    • Signed into an individual 1Password account, not a family account, in the app

If they're not using exactly the same credentials to sign into both the app and the website, the contents will be different in each. The fact that they are getting a separate invoice from you at all indicates that they have a separate account, perhaps in addition to your family plan. There is no way to combine them; they'd need to use an account created from your invitation in order to be part of the family plan. Let me know what you find!

• Madcitydon
    Madcitydon
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I created the family account on my computer, then created his account on his, and then invited him to be part of the family. Apparently I should not have created his account on his computer first (which if I'm understanding then makes it an individual account) before the invitation (the support docs might be a bit clearer on this). So I'm going to delete his, issue him an invitation from the family account, and then have him create a new login for himself when he confirms the family invitation. Does that sound correct? The new account he creates will have his same email address from the old one that we're deleting. Does that present any potential problems?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Madcitydon: Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, the support documentation is much clearer about this:

Invite your family

Invite them, and then they just need to follow from that invitation email to create an account under your family plan. It sounds like you sort of did the opposite.

Anyway, easily remedied. No issue with the email address. Just send have them create an account using the invitation you sent them, and then once they have all their data in the new (family) account they can delete the old one. And if you -- or your loved ones -- have any questions along the way, just let us know. Happy to help. :)

• Madcitydon
    Madcitydon
    Community Member

Here’s what the documentation says about deleting an account. However, there is no “Permanently Delete Account” at the bottom of the "My Profile" page:

To delete an individual account:
    1. Sign in to your 1Password account.
    2. Click your name in the top right, and choose My Profile.
    3. Click Permanently Delete Account at the bottom of the page.

I did on my family account find it under “Settings” (Permanently Delete Family Account) but on his login to the 1Password Web site he doesn’t get a “Settings” option. Notice that “DON’S FAMILY” appears here on his (Michael's) page, but it’s definitely not in the Mac OS desktop application when he logs in as himself. I'll include my family account page (Don) as well so you can compare the two. I'm trying to evaluate 1Password as a replacement for what we've been using, and am so far finding it frustrating. I really WOULD like to become a customer (love the idea of a product made for and supported in the Mac/iOS environment), so hopefully we can resolve this. I'll be happy to send you screenshots of anything else that will help.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

@Madcitydon

I think the difficulty here may be some confusion over terminology. When we talk about an "individual account" in those instructions we're referring to the individual level of membership, as opposed to 1Password Families membership. It isn't applicable to 1Password Families. Both of those screenshots are from within 1Password Families. If you are trying to delete an individual level membership those instructions would be correct, but you'd have to log in to that individual membership account in step 1, rather than the account within the 1Password Families membership.

Does that make sense?

Alternatively Michael can use this page to delete his individual membership:
    https://my.1password.com/support

Ben

• Madcitydon
    Madcitydon
    Community Member

I think we may be making progress, sort of. So when he goes to the 1Password Web site the first screenshot below is the set of options he's given, which seems to be correct (the family account). The password we set up for him gets him into this just fine, and he can see the family shared items, which is the desired outcome. The second screenshot below shows what he gets when he uses the same password to log into the 1Password7 Mac desktop application. The Family vault doesn't appear there, nor do I see anywhere to select it. The third screenshot is from Preferences in that desktop application. The same password for him (which I only set up once) is getting him different results on the Web page and the desktop application. (By the way, is this all appearing in a public forum? I don't want to share too much in a way that everyone can see, as in email addresses or the part of the Secret Key that appears in the last screenshot).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@Madcitydon

The password we set up for him gets him into this just fine, and he can see the family shared items, which is the desired outcome.

It's not the password, it's the rest of the account credentials. It sounds very much as if he has both an account in your 1Password Families account AND his own Individual account which he set up. It's entirely possible that he used the same Master Password to create both of these accounts, so the same Master Password would open each one...but the sign-in address (possibly) and the Secret Key (definitely) will be different. In short, his browser (your first screenshot) is defaulted to his account in your 1Password Families account, but he added the Individual account into 1Password 7 for Mac. Make sense? Here's how to fix it:

1. In his browser, have him sign into his account in your 1Password Families account.
    2. Have him click his name in the upper-right corner of the browser window, then click "My Profile."
    3. Have him click "Copy" on the Secret Key, like this:

1. Open 1Password 7 on his Mac
    2. Click Preferences > Accounts
    3. Click the plus button at the bottom left, then click "Enter Account Details Manually"
    4. Use https://my.1password.com for the sign-in address, whatever email he used to sign up as the email address, paste the Secret Key you just copied in the previous step, and have him enter his Master Password. Press "Sign In," and you should see the accounts - and all its vaults - added.

From there, he can move any data from the Individual account that he needs into the 1Password Families account. When that's done, he can return to Preferences > Accounts, select that INDIVIDUAL account (NOT the 1Password Families account) and click the minus button in the bottom left of the Preferences window to remove it. This will leave him running only the 1Password Families account. Let me know how that works for you. :)

• Madcitydon
    Madcitydon
    Community Member

Bingo — you nailed it. The Secret Key is different in the Web login and the 1Password7 desktop application. I set them both up for him, and set up the desktop app first before issuing a Family invitation, so I now see that my order of operations was wrong (I assumed that he’d first have to have an account set up to issue a family invitation to). Just a suggestion that you might want to make that more clear in the “Invite your family” documentation. I followed your instructions, deleted his individual account in his desktop app, and we’re now in business. Thanks. So presumably when the trial period is over for the Family account we will be charged just for that and not for his individual account which is now (presumably) gone.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Madcitydon - great! Glad to hear you two are back up and running. When an account comes to the end of its 30-day free trial, one of two things will happen:

1. If the user has added a payment method in Billing (credit card), then they will be charged at either the monthly or annual rate (whichever they selected).
    2. If the user never entered a payment method into Billing, then the account enters Frozen status.

So just make sure that, if Michael did enter a payment method into that Individual 1Password account, have him go back and remove it. That way, he won't be charged anything on the Individual account. :)

• Madcitydon
    Madcitydon
    Community Member

Well, that presents a bit of a problem since you had me delete his individual account. Do I have to restore it to check this? And how do I check it if I do so? On mine (the Family account), “Accounts” in “Preferences” says: “Your 1Password account is in Trial mode”. If I click on that it prompts for “Payment Methods”. I know that the setup process prompted me for my credit card before it would continue. But my Family Account says “Add Credit Card” under “Payment Methods”. How do I verify that it already has one for me (the Family Account)? I don’t recall entering one when I set his up, but I should definitely find out how one verifies that for me before I restore his individual account (and then delete it again) if that’s what’s required to check for him. And here I thought we were out of the woods, so to speak.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Madcitydon: If you deleted the (individual) account, billing will be canceled as well. So you're all set in that case.

You can check/setup your payment plan for your (family) account through the website:

https://start.1password.com/billing

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Madcitydon - the account was not actually deleted; my instructions would have only removed it from within 1Password for Mac. Deleting it requires signing into it on the server and going through this process. But as brenty said, as long as he has his original sign in credentials (including his Secret Key for that account - not the 1Password Families account), he should be able to sign in using a browser and make sure there's no payment method applied and remove it if there is one.

• Madcitydon
    Madcitydon
    Community Member

So I tried logging into the 1Password Web site using his email, secret key and password, copied and pasted (just to be absolutely sure they’re 100% accurate, with a visual double-check) from the original “1Password Emergency Kit” issued when his individual account was created. I get:

Can’t sign in. Your email address, Secret Key, or Master Password is incorrect.
    If you were invited to 1Password by someone else, they can recover your account.

The “invited to 1Password by someone else” shouldn’t be relevant, because this was the individual account I erroneously created for him before issuing an invitation to the family account. I did only delete his individual account from within 1Password for Mac, as you said. I’m fairly certain that I hadn’t entered a credit card for his individual account. Can we deal with it afterwards in the unlikely event that the card is charged, using this conversation as evidence of what we thought transpired? Not sure what else to do.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Madcitydon - it might be worthwhile to use a browser he/you don't use on that computer often, because each browser does retain copies of Secret Keys, so if he's previously signed in with his 1Password Families account (which he has), then that Secret Key will be saved and 1Password will expect you to be attempting to access that account, which will fail. You can also get around that by clicking the 'Sign into a different account' button at the bottom of the sign-in page, so you get the full/blank sign in page.

However, yes, we can also do what you suggested. If you think you never added a credit card for payment on that account, then it's fine to just allow it to enter Frozen status; it can stay that way indefinitely.

• Madcitydon
    Madcitydon
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars. I did use the 'Sign into a different account' button on a different computer to try this, so was prompted for all three fields (email, secret key, master password). So I think we'll just wait and see if there's a credit card charge problem (I don't think there will be). I do have to say that part of evaluating a product like this is learning about the tech support behind it, and it has been REMARKABLY thorough and timely (you should pass that feedback along to your tech support management). So I'll definitely be purchasing the family account when the trial runs out as a result. Thanks for all your help. You guys are great.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Madcitydon - huh. Well, I'm not quite sure what the issue might be there, but if there's a need to credit a charge, we're happy to do that. We can also send out a deletion request email to the email address used to register that account, if you'd prefer. Those contain a special link which will delete the account. Let me know if that's something you'd like to pursue, since we'd have to handle that via email, rather than here in this public forum. And thank you for the kind words! Glad to have you as new users. :)

• Madcitydon
    Madcitydon
    Community Member

Yes, let's go ahead and do the deletion request email with the link. Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Madcitydon - OK, sounds good -- but it doesn't work quite like that. I'll need whoever actually created that account (or at least has the keys to the email account used to set it up) to send an email to support@1password.com and mention you want to delete the account. Include a link to this thread in your email. You'll receive an auto-reply from our BitBot assistant which will contain a Support ID number. Please post that number here, in a reply to this thread, so we can "connect the dots." Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.