Custom Icons

I'm confused as to whether 1Password X supports custom icons.

The last time I tried it on Google Chrome, about a month ago, it didn't but as I was skimming through the release notes I noticed it's supposed to be a supported feature?

There are six mentions of "custom icons" and four mentions of "rich icons", spread across different versions, in the release notes.

Maybe I don't understand something here:

• Many of my entries have personalised (custom?) icons uploaded for those entries without a 1Password-obtained (rich?) icon
  • Some of my entries use personalised (custom?) icons uploaded where a 1Password-obtained exists but is out-of-date

Does 1Password X support personalised icons in Google Chrome and, if so, how can I fix the icons not displaying?

Thank you :)

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @gazu.

The way Rich Icons work is explained here: https://support.1password.com/privacy-rich-icons/, and it basically depends on 3 things:

1. Your login's site has a quality icon available
    2. That icon is available in the 1Pass database (as explained in the link I shared above)
    3. There's a URL to match it

My understanding is that you can add personalized icons in 1Password.com and in the native apps (Windows & Mac), but not in 1Pass X (I guess it's because of the privacy concerns, but can't say for sure), and so 1Pass X would just show the default icon (if there's any).

I have to say I'm not a 1Pass team member, so definitely wait for a response from them :chuffed: Have a nice weekend!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I think it's important to draw a distinction between custom icons and Rich Icons.

Custom icons are those you've added yourself. This is possible for any item.

Rich Icons are those that we host on our server for popular sites, so there's automatically (with the feature enabled) an icon representing specific Login items.

1Password X supports both in the current beta, but only Rich Icons in the current stable release. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused. :)

• gazu
    gazu
    Community Member

1Password X supports both in the current beta, but only Rich Icons in the current stable release

Thanks for the clarification.

I'll await the stable release and then install it - I rely on the visual icons a lot.

1PX seems more reliable at auto-filling than the traditional browser extension so that'll become my daily driver (with the desktop app used for everything else).

Awesome. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gazu: Sounds good. Shouldn't be too long for that one. :)

But perhaps of interest, the filling Brain is exactly the same in 1Password X and the desktop extension. One thing that helps 1Password X in some cases though is when you trigger filling from within a web form, since it has more information about where you want it to fill then. ;)

Glad you're enjoying 1Password X! We've got even more improvements to come. Cheers! :)

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member

Interesting. I was wondering when 1pwX would support custom icons, and lo and behold it does. Cool.

Question regarding those, are they stored in our private account? Encrypted with everything else? Similar to a file attachment on a record? or are they copied to a public server similar to your rich icons? Not a big deal, just curious as to how they are stored.

Thanks for being awesome!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @unrealreality! That's a really good question. Custom icons are stored on our server, encrypted by a random key stored within the item, which is encrypted with the vault key, which is encrypted by however you're getting access to the vault. We don't actually have any of those keys either. Pretty sweet, huh? :sunglasses:

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn I didn't realize I got a notification on this. You guys are fast. Yes, that is actually pretty cool. Thank you for the clarification on how it's stored! You guys do some great work!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@unrealreality – No worries at all, and thanks for the compliment. :smile: I hope you have a great rest of the week.

• unrealreality
    unrealreality
    Community Member

@kaitlyn you as well!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.