Why did I have to re-install Chrome (Mac) extension

acanton77
acanton77
Community Member

I do not power-off or sleep my iMac (High Sierra) at night. Came down this morning, bought up Chrome and clicked the 1PW (new version with paid account) and got a 'suggestion' to install the Chrome extension... even though I already had it. 1PW would go to a site but not fill fields. So I reinstalled the extension and all is well.

Was there a new version of the extension that you folks put out? If so, you should put up a notice somewhere on your website so people will understand. If not, why did I get the "Suggestion" in the 1PW extension when I clicked it in the top menu?

What's goin' on guys?

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: High Sierra
Sync Type: Agile datacenter

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

Hi @acanton77, the Mac app may have had a small communication issue with the extension and reinstalling helped reinstate the connection. To make sure this doesn't occur again, we should ensure that the 1Password Extension helper is always running in the background. You can do that by proceeding to 1Password 7 > Preferences > Browsers and making sure that the checkbox "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" is checked. This will ensure a flawless communication between the app and the extensions :smile:.

If this problem does occur again, please let us know :smile:.

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member

Thanks, but I've always had "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running." in preferences checked. So it was something else that was the cause. I'll monitor it and report back if it happens again.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @acanton77! If it does occur again, I’d like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/93526/why-did-i-have-to-re-install-chrome-mac-extension#latest
    • Your forum username: acanton77

That way we can “connect the dots” when we see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :smile:

Once we see the diagnostics, we’ll be able to better assist you. Thank you very much!

• acanton77
    acanton77
    Community Member
    edited July 2018

Here it is: [#KNY-13892-241] 1Password Diagnostics Report

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @acanton77, we will take a look.

ref: KNY-13892-241

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

The problem occurs on a regular basis (MacOS, Chrome).
    Me and one of my colleagues experienced it twice within the last week.
    Restarting 1Password and reinstalling the chrome extension fixes the problem.
    "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" is checked.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @P4sca1! I'm sorry for the trouble. I'm guessing that whatever you're experiencing now, however much it seems like what the original post in this thread described, is probably not the same thing -- unless you happen to also be running version 7.0.7 of 1Password for Mac and macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”). Are you? My guess is you're likely running version 7.3.1 (the current version of 1Password for Mac), and probably macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) -- but you didn't give us any system information. Can you tell us:

1. The specific version of 1Password for Mac you're currently using?
    2. The specific version of macOS you have installed?
    3. The specific version of Chrome you're using?
    4. The specific version of 1Password extension you have in Chrome?
    5. Any recent changes/updates to the system that might've happened around the time you noticed this behavior starting?
    6. Anything else you think might be relevant to helping us narrow things down.

Thanks! :)

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member

Hi Lars, thank you for the very quick reply!

1. I'm using 1Password version 7.3.1
    2. It happened on macOS 10.14 as well as on macOS 10.15 (Catalina beta).
    3. Chrome version 75.0.3770.100
    4. 1Password helper version 4.7.5.90
    5. We started using 1Password just a few weeks ago so I can't really tell if the bug occured because of some changes / updates.
    6. I did not yet find out how to reproduce this error, it seems to happen randomly. At work we lock our macs frequently and one time at home the issue started after closing 1password. So my guess would be that its some issue with 1password being unlocked and the credential helper not correctly recreating the connection. But that's just a guess.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@P4sca1 - thanks for the additional information. We don't make promises at this stage about macOS 10.15 ("Catalina"), since it's still in beta and we're still working to make sure everything's ready for the stable version. Also, since you say the issue was present on both the beta of Catalina as well as stable macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), I doubt it's a function of some beta incompatibility.

To be honest with you, this sounds very much like a Chrome update issue; when Chrome auto-updates in the background, the bundle ID changes, and 1Password will not connect with a version of browser it considers "invalid" (I put that in quotes because obviously, it's not...but until you restart the apps, 1Password doesn't know that). If it's happening constantly, or every time you use Chrome, then obviously that's not the issue and something else is wrong. But if it's only once in a while, that's likely to be the case.

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member

@Lars I will keep an eye on wether it is only happening after a chrome Update and net you know.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@P4sca1 - sounds good. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.