Is Auto Fill from browser extension a paid feature now?

A_Rain_Dog_Too
A_Rain_Dog_Too
Community Member

Hi,

Updated to v7 and now 1Password will not auto fill my login screens when I select the relevant site name from the Chrome browser extension or OS X menu bar. It will also not launch and fill the browser from the desktop app. Is this feature now a paid item in v7 or is there some troubleshooting I need to go through?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.3.1 (70301007)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6 Beta (18G59b)
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @A_Rain_Dog_Too! 1Password 7 for Mac is a paid upgrade from earlier versions. You'll need either a new standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac (currently on sale for $49.99 from the usual retail price of $64.99), or (our recommendation), a 1password.com membership. Without one or the other of these methods of upgrading, 1Password 7 for Mac will not allow you to add to, edit, or delete any of your data, or use the browser extension(s). You'll still be able to unlock your data with your Master Password and you can export it if you wish, but if you want to use the new 1Password 7 for Mac, you'll need to choose one of these methods. We recommend a 1password.com membership for many reasons. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• A_Rain_Dog_Too
    A_Rain_Dog_Too
    Community Member

Thank you - so I guess the answer about Auto Fill is, yes, it is now part of the paid or subscription feature set in 1Password 7 while the read-only, manual copy-paste approach is the only way in the free version? Is there a way to shift back to the previous version or will its functionality be discontinued or curtailed? Thanks for the reply.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@A_Rain_Dog_Too

...so I guess the answer about Auto Fill is, yes, it is now part of the paid or subscription feature set in 1Password 7 while the read-only, manual copy-paste approach is the only way in the free version?

Not quite. 1Password for Mac is a paid application and always has been. There has never been a "free version" of 1Password for Mac. Anyone can download and install 1Password for Mac from our downloads page, but using it requires either a standalone license or a 1password.com membership.

That said, any existing standalone licenses you may have purchased in the past for old versions of 1Password for Mac will work forever to license the version you purchased them for. If you have a license for 1Password 3 for Mac, you can use it to install 1Password 3 for Mac on as many Macs as you still own which are still running the versions of OS X that were current when 1Password 3 for Mac was current: Snow Leopard and Lion. It also worked decently on Mountain Lion, but by the time Mavericks came around things were already getting dicey and 1Password 3 for Mac has been essentially unusable on the last couple of versions of macOS, simply due to its age. But if you've still got Snow Leopard-based Macs, you'd still be able to install and license 1Password 3 for Mac. What that old license doesn't give you, however, is the ability to license later versions of 1Password for Mac. Hope that helps! :)

Is there a way to shift back to the previous version or will its functionality be discontinued or curtailed?

We won't be taking steps to intentionally limit the functionality of 1Password 6 for Mac or any other outdated versions, if that's what you mean. But 1Password 7 for Mac was released in May of last year (2018). That means 1Password 6 for Mac has been in "legacy" mode for more than a year now; it will no longer be receiving compatibility updates, bug fixes or new features. As with the above example of 1Password 3 for Mac, over time, changes to both browsers (and related browser technologies like WebCrypto, Native Messaging, and newer things that may not have even been discovered yet) as well as to macOS will make older versions increasingly unstable. In general, it's a bad idea to keep updating certain parts of your system (OS, browser) while attempting to keep other parts frozen on past versions. As a security company, it's our recommendation users keep all critical security software up to date on their devices, and that includes OS, browser(s) and 1Password. Hope that helps! :)

• A_Rain_Dog_Too
    A_Rain_Dog_Too
    Community Member

Got it. I must have paid something for v6 then :) . I hope the thread was of use to others who might have had the same cross-version questions. Will subscribe.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that Lars was able to help. A 1Password membership is definitely simpler since you don't ever have to try to figure out which version you can use, because it includes all of them. If you have questions about anything else along the way, just let us know. We're here for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.