Family Account Emergency Kit & Organiser Set Up

Zaka7
Zaka7
Community Member

Hi All,

I am just wondering what set up you all have in terms of family organisers and emergency kits, I am currently the organiser, I am fine with this as my set up is secure and I won't forget my details.

However; without being too morbid, Say however something happens to me, and I then become unable to use 1Password I would want a family member to be able to access my account, How would they go about this, even if I had another organiser registered, they wouldn't be able to get into my emails without the password (Which would be locked away in my inaccessible 1Password account), so they they couldn't actually recover the account anyway?

I suppose I am just interested in what others do? and if there is a feature on the horizon which could somehow tackle this whereby the recovery instructions could be sent say any of the emails registered with that family and to avoid it happening accidentally, the account being recovered would have say a few weeks to stop the recovery process with in app alerts or emails?

I appreciate that this all brings it's own challenges, I guess I am just thinking what if. My entire digital life is locked on something that only I know and can access I have copies of my emergency kit on Dropbox and iCloud, but again these are inaccessible without the passwords which would be unknown should anything happen to me?

Am I over thinking all of this.

Look forward to your thoughts :)

Comments

• Hi @Zaka_7

General advice on similar topics tends to be to store a printed Emergency Kit (including Master Password) with the lawyer that will handle your estate in such an event, if you have one, or in a safe deposit box. There have been other suggestions (search this forum for "estate" if you're interested) but those tend to be the most common ones.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben something to think about for me then and work out the best way to do it.

Maybe a locked box the lawyer has and a family member has the key I don't know, My dad worked in data security so I am just excessively security conscious and the thought of giving someone everything they need does scare me, my emergency kit is 'hints' not the full password!

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

@Ben I think what I am going to do is share a secure not with the pin access to my mobile / laptop should anything happen. That way they could access my emails and recover my account if I made them a Family Organiser. I feel far more comfortable doing something like that.

Is there however any recovery only type feature in the pipeline?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Zaka_7 - we've tried something like that in the past, and it didn't meet our muster for security and stability. It's something we'd like to address more comprehensively in the future, but such a feature would be a significant one for us in terms of resources and it's just not been at the top of the priority list, since having a trusted attorney with the information is a relatively stable and secure way to do such things: they are paid for (and their license to practice law depends upon) their discretion and carrying out your instructions; you also create attorney-client privilege if you retain a lawyer in this way; they cannot be compelled to disclose your Emergency Kit or other details about 1Password.

And stay tuned for future developments in this area; like I said, estate management is something we'd like to address more comprehensively within 1Password itself.

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars completely get that.

After investigating and trawling through the forum I have decided to do a shared vault with a second organiser and in that vault have my email account details and vice versa, that way we should both be covered and safe. I will enable 2FA on their account to put my mind at ease, and my emails notify me of new sign in's anyway. So i'm comfortable with that set up, especially after reading some of the 1Password team do similar.

Zac

• Glad to hear you've found a solution that will be a good fit for you. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.