Recovery Problem

GL4
GL4
Community Member

I have a family account. My wife forgot her password and I recovered her account. She has a new password and secret key. She can log onto her account in my.1password.com. When she tries to open the 1password applications on her Mac and her iPhone, she can't get in with her new password (that works on my.1password.com). How do I use the secret key and the new password to open the apps?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:recovery

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @GL4! Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like your wife's 1Password apps still have the old account information in it. After recovering her account, she will have to start over so she can add her new account credentials to the 1Password app on her Mac and her iPhone :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@GL4: And be sure not to select the saved account information to automatically fill it: enter all the new account information, or you'll end up with a mix of old and new, which will not work to sign in.

• GL4
    GL4
    Community Member

Got it done! Thanks for your help.

• Glad to hear it worked out. :)

Ben

• unixdude
    unixdude
    Community Member

I am having exactly this same problem. I recovered my wife's account because she can't log into 1Password on her Mac. Just to be clear: The "start over" will not actually start everything over, right? I do not want to delete all ~800 passwords stored in our shared vault. I only want to start over on her devices.

• Hi @unixdude

It clears the data and preferences from the device you perform the procedure on. It doesn't affect any data stored on 1Password.com. :) If your wife has a "standalone" vault (likely named "Primary") that would be deleted by doing so, but if she doesn't know the password for it then it isn't doing her any good anyway. There is no way to recover such a vault. Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.