Browser workflow with multiple accounts

I use two 1Password accounts - one for work and one privately - which I need to dynamically switch between. I can't seem to be able to do this without manually clicking the extension icon and then closing the active vault. Is there any way to solve this via hotkeys?

Alternatively I would like to suggest either:

• Lock vault(s) hotkey
  • Unlock all vaults when unlocking one option

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@alexandrulesi - you shouldn't need hotkeys; if you're signed into both accounts, you should be able to click the gear icon at the top right of 1Password X and you should see both your accounts listed as active under All Vaults. This should allow you to use (and be offered as suggestions) Login, Password and other items from both accounts. You do need to be signed into both accounts for this to work, however. If you click the 1Password X icon in your browser's toolbar, then click "Settings," are both accounts signed in?

If not - i.e., if you see "locked" next to one of your accounts, click the link for that account:

This will take you to the sign-in page for your account(s). Make sure you're looking at the correct one; the one you need to sign into. You may have to switch accounts, at the bottom of the page. Enter your Master Password there, and then return to the 1Password extension in your browser's toolbar. Clicking the gear icon should now show you both accounts, signed in and usable under "All Vaults."

• khutch
    khutch
    Community Member

I have the same problem. @Lars , your directions for having both accounts work well. However (and this is a big however), every time I lock my workstation, and then unlock, I need to "re-login" to both accounts to unlock.

I have a personal account and a business account. I have different passwords for each account. When I unlock 1PasswordX with one of the passwords, it doesn't unlock both accounts. This behavior is different than the desktop version (and accompanying browser plugin). This, to me, is a major roadblock to adopting 1PasswordX - which is a shame, since I really like the look, feel and functionality of 1PasswordX. I think it's a huge improvement over the workflow of the "traditional" browser extension. But, if I have to go to a webpage to unlock my other account every time I unlock my workstation, that's a deal breaker.

Is there something I'm missing? Is this by design? Is there any chance of having 1PasswordX unlocking multiple accounts with one of the master passwords the way the desktop app does? I hope the answer is not just "make sure the passwords on both accounts are the same". Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but there's just something about using my personal vault password on my business account that scares me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@khutch: 1Password X unlocks based on the Master Password you enter. If you use the same long, strong Master Password for both accounts, they will both unlock when you enter it. Otherwise only the account whose Master Password you entered will unlock. Hope this helps. :)

• alexandrulesi
    alexandrulesi
    Community Member

@brenty thank you for your answer! I would argue though that this is a bit of a security issue if you have to use the same password for both accounts in order to unlock both at once. I would find it more convenient to just be able to switch between accounts and only have one unlocked at a time. @Lars what you describe does work but as I mentioned in my post my inquiry is about workflow. I.e. I want to be able to perform everything via hotkeys and not have to use my mouse. Either logging out or logging in to a second account via hotkey is necessary for this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alexandrulesi: Why would that be a security issue? Each 1Password account has a unique (128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key. I can understand if you're sharing your account credentials with someone else, you might be reticent to tell them the Master Password if you're using it for a different account as well. But the real security issue there would be just that: sharing your account credentials, which are meant only for you, with someone else. It's totally up to you though: you can use the same Master Password for your accounts so that you can use the best one possible, and they can unlock together; or you can use different Master Passwords and unlock them separately -- though it's not what we generally recommend since having to remember and type more than one results in weaker passwords for all. But again, your call.

Regarding keyboard shortcuts, you can lock 1Password X using ⇧ ⌘ L, and then press ⇧ ⌘ X to unlock again. Hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.