I haven't kept up lately: Do I have to switch to the subscription model?

danito
danito
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for over a decade and I am still on the 6.8.8 standalone app from the Mac App Store. I haven't really been paying attention the last few years so I am a little confused regarding the current offerings and the path forward.

I don't like subscription models and I very much don't like entrusting sensitive data to a cloud. From the official website I cannot quite tell if that is the only way forward from now on, though. Would I have to switch to a cloud-based subscription to continue using 1Password or is it also possible to use the newest version in a standalone way with the data managed locally?

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hi, @danito

1Pass 7 was launched last year, and I think it's a great update! I'm not a 1Pass team member, but to answer your question, you can have your data managed locally or through the cloud (a 1Password membership). Here's more info about the options you have to upgrade to 1Pass 7.

I'd also like to invite you to read about 1Pass security. Being in the cloud, does not mean less safe (at least not for 1Pass). It means more convenient. If any, the security of your account really depends on how strong your Master Password is.

Hope this helps with your doubts! :D

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member

@danito I am also not a fan of subscription models, but sadly it seems it will be inevitable in this case. As macOS gets updated every year, 1Password app code will have to be adjusted at some point to adhere to latest system requirements.. I am pretty sure that is not a sustainable model for 1P team, and in about 2 years we will all have to switch because the old standalone version will simply not work on latest macOS.

• danito
    danito
    Community Member

Thank you for your answers! The way I understand it now is that 1Password 7 can at this point still be used as a standalone app, without subscription and with local syncing, correct? I'd just have to download it from the website, instead of through the Mac App Store.

The iPhone app, which I also use, works with any option I choose?

• bzx
    bzx
    Community Member

Here's the info with purchase options: https://support.1password.com/upgrade-mac/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@danito - thanks for the questions, and no worries about "not keeping up lately." That's our job, not yours. :)

I don't like subscription models and I very much don't like entrusting sensitive data to a cloud.

You left that question out of your initial response, so I'll just ask: how have you been syncing your 1Password data up to now? Or have you only used it on a single device and not synced your data at all?

...is it also possible to use the newest version in a standalone way with the data managed locally?

It is! We no longer advertise standalone licenses to new/prospective users, as 1password.com memberships are both more secure and easier to use, for many reasons. But standalone licenses are available for those who know what they are and prefer their "DIY" approach. bxz's link above will show you how to purchase a standalone license if you still feel that's the best way forward for you. One thing I want to emphasize you can't do any longer is purchase "standalone" from the Mac App Store. As our CEO, Jeff Shiner, explains in this blog post, we had some decisions to make when we released 1Password 7 for Mac, and one of them was to make the Mac App Store version membership-only. If you want a standalone license, you'll need to delete the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac (if you already installed it), and download/install from our downloads page.

The iPhone app, which I also use, works with any option I choose?

Right. 1Password for iOS is essentially a companion app to it's larger and more powerful desktop cousins, 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows.

Hope that's helpful! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bzx - thanks for pitching in here! :)

I am pretty sure that is not a sustainable model for 1P team.

You're not wrong about this, but there's at least one other reason that's more important than merely the sustainability of the business model for us. It's that we're able to offer a host of features and advantages that just aren't possible (or would be MUCH more difficult to design/implement and for users to use) in a standalone setup. It's true you nominally have more "options" with a standalone setup (what advanced, 3rd party sync method to use, etc)...and for a small handful of longer-term or "power" users, this may be a better fit for their needs. But most people - especially most of our newer users who are decidedly (on average) less technically adept than our customer base from ten years ago - come to 1Password for a secure and dependable solution, not one with the greatest amount of flexibility. They want sync to be secure, and to "just work," without requiring setup expertise, troubleshooting and maintenance on their part -- and 1password.com membership offers them exactly that.

• danito
    danito
    Community Member

how have you been syncing your 1Password data up to now? Or have you only used it on a single device and not synced your data at all?

So far I have been syncing via iCloud. I realise that this is somewhat of a contradiction to my previous statement regarding not trusting clouds. Maybe it would me more accurate to say that I try to limit my exposure to clouds as much as practically possible. I also like that I can manage the file myself, include it in my backups and delete it if I chose to do so. This makes me more comfortable than a service where I don't manage the actual file myself, as I assume is the case with the 1Password cloud.

Either way, thank you a lot for taking the time to answer my questions in such a comprehensive manner!

• So far I have been syncing via iCloud. I realise that this is somewhat of a contradiction to my previous statement regarding not trusting clouds. Maybe it would me more accurate to say that I try to limit my exposure to clouds as much as practically possible. I also like that I can manage the file myself, include it in my backups and delete it if I chose to do so. This makes me more comfortable than a service where I don't manage the actual file myself, as I assume is the case with the 1Password cloud.

Which file are you thinking accomplishes this for you when syncing via iCloud? I may have some bad news... :|

Ben

This discussion has been closed.