1Password 4 and 1Password 7's vaults question

Options
leonhart1981
leonhart1981
Community Member

I have been using 1Password for a very long time. In the beginning, I was purchase the standalone version which I believe that it's 1Password 4 and my vault's name is called primary

Last year, I upgraded it to 1Password subscription (the family version). With this type of 1password, I have 2 vaults which are called personal and shared.

I remembered that the personal vault was somehow "sync" with primary vault when I upgraded it at the first time. But I think the sync was never 100% complete at first place because there was 733 items in my primary vault but there was only 687 items in my personal vault

In this case, what should I do? Can I do the "sync process" again between my primary & personal vaults?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leonhart1981 - there is no sync between your Primary (standalone) vault and your Personal vault in your 1password.com account. What does happen is that when you first sign into your account in a browser, you'll be asked if you want to migrate your data. If that process was interrupted or incomplete somehow, things could be in a pretty messy state, if that was a year ago. Can I ask: did you keep the Primary vault on any of your devices? Or did you remove it as indicated, once the migration finished (even if it was incomplete)?

• leonhart1981
    leonhart1981
    Community Member
    Options

I still keep the Primary vault on one of my devices.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leonhart1981 - that may wind up being helpful in this particular instance, but it's generally not a good idea, because when you copy your data from Primary --> Personal, you have two copies of the data in different vaults, which do not sync with one another. Especially if you use the All Vaults view for most of your work in 1Password, it can be sometimes difficult to remember to keep track of which copy you're editing/deleting, and as a result, over time, the two copies of your data can become increasingly dissimilar.

If you believe that the copying process from your Primary vault to your Personal vault of your 1password.com account was incomplete at the time you did it a year ago, then I'd suggest you do a thorough comparison of the data that exists in both Primary and in your Personal vault. Copy over anything you find that's either still missing or incomplete into the Personal vault. When that's done, remove the Primary vault so you won't run this risk of this confusion again. Let us know if you have any questions or run into any complications. :)

• leonhart1981
    leonhart1981
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars Understood. Thanks. I will give it a try.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

• leonhart1981
    leonhart1981
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars

Well... I was trying to redo the migration process, but I have no clue how to do that.

Could you please guide me through it?

Thank you!!!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leonhart1981:

After thoroughly comparing the contents of the Primary and the Personal vault, as Lars wrote, you can now move the items that are missing missing manually from one vault to another anytime :)

• leonhart1981
    leonhart1981
    Community Member
    Options

Is there a way that I could do the migration again from primary to Personal vaults?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leonhart1981: certainly. You can delete everything that you currently have in your Personal vault, and then move all items from your Primary vault again into your Personal vault :)

This discussion has been closed.