1Password for Mac vs. 1Password X: What'S the difference?

Thomas_U
Thomas_U
Community Member

1Password for Mac vs. 1Password X: What's the difference? What is the relation between the two?

I am referring to today's post inside the 1P beta updater.

Quote from updater:

1Password for Mac now receives a list of accounts from 1Password X during initial setup.
(...)
Corrected a problem where 1Password X would not lock when 1Password for Mac was quit completely.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MBehr
    MBehr
    Community Member

Didn't even know what 1Password X was...as it's mentioned in the 7.3.BETA-10 (build #70300010) notes.

1Password X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzBAWGjgnAU&feature=youtu.be

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Hey @MBehr and @Thomas_U! Thanks for the question and sorry for any confusion. 1Password X is our newest browser extension that works directly with a 1Password.com account and doesn't even require a standalone 1Password app like 1Password 7 for Mac or 1Password 7 for Windows in order to function. It's pretty great if you've got all your data in a 1password.com account, since you're now restricted only by what browsers you can install (Chrome and Firefox, as well as some Chrome derivatives like Brave and Vivaldi, are supported). So it works on Linux, on Solaris, nearly anywhere you can install Chrome.

However, if you're using 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows, you can still use 1Password X as long as your data is in a 1password.com account -- and now, 1Password X can interact with the local Windows or Mac 1Password app as well, (un)locking each other when you unlock one. This is very much a beta feature at present, and obviously this won't work if you're still using standalone vaults...but if you're using all-1Password.com accounts/vaults, it's pretty awesome. And in that situation, it could even replace the regular (desktop app required) extension (currently at 4.7.3.90).

Anyway, hope that answers your questions, but feel free to ask any follow-ups you might have, and let us know what you think re: 1Password X if you decide to give it a whirl! :)

• Coder256
    Coder256
    Community Member

Hi @Lars,

Thanks for the explanation, I had been confused too. One question I have is, why can't 1Password X fully replace the desktop browser extension? I can't see any reason why it should be unable to access local vaults on platforms that have the native app installed; this is a regression from the existing desktop extension (this beta might be starting to fix this at least for unlocking?). I understand that 1Password X is meant to work on any platform/browser with 1Password.com accounts, and that its main benefit is that it works without needing a native app, but why can't it also support local vaults and all the features that the existing desktop extension does on supported platforms? I guess what I'm saying is, in other words, why aren't the two extensions merged?

I know part of the reason is that the desktop extension uses 1Password Mini, and 1Password X has its own interface, but that is the only issue I can think of. And that issue can be simply resolved by either a) requiring the user to use the 1Password X interface, or b) adding an option for supported platforms to use 1Password Mini (which I would definitely use, I love the new mini!).

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

Thanks Lars, the fog is raising ;-)

My first follow-up questions (more might come):

1. Is 1PX started automatically when I start 1PMac?
    2. Do I need to shut off the browser-extensions for 1PX to work properly so I can test? – I'm using Safari, Chrome and Firefox in parallel, all with 1P-extensions.

I am using the 1password.com account
    macOS 10.14.4 (18E226) · 1Password 7 Mac - Version 7.3.BETA-10 (70300010) - AgileBits Beta

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

I deleted the old extension from Chrome. For a login test I clicked the 1P-macOS-menu-icon and was prompted to install 1PX. Very fine - all features from the video are there!

In Firefox I found no extension on the add-ons/extensions page but the old icon was there and worked as expected.
    I installed 1PX PasswordManager and it shows on the extensions page. The new icon sits next to the old one in the toolbar but does not work.
    So: Where is the old extension hiding and how can I kill it?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Coder256 - thanks for the question/suggestion. The answer's not as straightforward as it might seem, so bear with me here and I'll try to rein in my tendency toward wordiness. ;)

One question I have is, why can't 1Password X fully replace the desktop browser extension?

That's actually been the passion of Dave Teare for a while now: to have 1Password X replace the desktop browser extension...but not in the way I think you're envisioning. Since releasing the 1password.com server backend, it's quickly become not only the best but also far and away the most popular way for newer users to use 1Password. As time goes on, there are fewer and fewer users who still have standalone 1Password data (which is the only way you'd need the "requires companion app" 1Password extension. So in a sense, 1Password X can replace what you called the "desktop browser extension"...by superseding it for the vast majority of users. New features being tested in beta, like Native Unlock - allowing 1Password X to unlock 1Password for Mac - will make the use-case for the older extension even more limited to those who continue using standalone 1Password.

I know part of the reason is that the desktop extension uses 1Password Mini, and 1Password X has its own interface, but that is the only issue I can think of.

If it were just that, things might be easier indeed. The underlying issue here is that both 1Password X and 1Password for Mac are essentially clients; they understand how to talk to the 1password.com server and exchange information that way (server - client model). 1Password X has no code to support syncing to 1Password for Mac, and 1Password for Mac has no code to support syncing to an extension (the extension you see in Safari, for example, has no UI of its own; what you see is the 1Password mini. The extension itself is more or less a dumb conduit for the mini). Creating code to allow syncing of 1Password X with local vaults would be a non-trivial amount of work, to put it mildly. We can't just re-use the code from the existing 1Password mini in 1Password 7 for Mac, and neither 1Password for Mac nor 1Password X knows how to behave as server.

Could it be done? Of course, eventually. There isn't much we can't do that doesn't violate the laws of physics or the rules of the OSes for which we develop. Possibly it couldn't be done by modifying the existing codebase, but given enough time and resources (specifically, developer hours), we could likely accomplish it one way or another. But that's where "possible" diverges from "feasible" and "advisable." As fewer and fewer users continue to maintain standalone vaults, the cost/benefit ratio of such a large undertaking just stop making sense; the number of users who would even potentially be able to make use of this continues to shrink, and those who would actively WANT such a thing is an even smaller number, especially when there is already a perfectly-serviceable extension to accompany the native app for local vault support. The result of all those considerations adds up to this being something I would guess is very unlikely to happen. There are just too many other projects we'd like to pursue to make 1Password better for a much greater number of 1Password users, which would have to be put aside to devote resources to this, to make this something we'd consider attempting without a much larger groundswell of interest in it. Hope that answers your question, but feel free to ask any follow-ups. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Thomas_U - Firefox's Tools > Add-Ons menu should get you there; click the Extensions tab in the left sidebar, then you can remove any existing extension. :)

• Thomas_U
    Thomas_U
    Community Member

There was nothing on the Extensions page but I had old and new 1P icon in the toolbar, the old one working and the new one not. I completely wiped Firefox and all associated files and reinstalled it from scratch, then installed 1PX Manager. Now everything is working just as it should.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @Thomas_U! I am happy to hear that things are working again :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

Hello, I also wondered what 1Password X is, thank you for the details.
    I understand it as "more is done inside the browser" by reading from/sending to the 1Pwd-server and not from/to the local app. If this is correct I must admit that I have a bad feeling using it. How can you (or I as a user) be sure that no browser add-on or just a website is not tracking what 1Password is reading/sending/doing (well, if it makes a difference if its the server or the app). Ok, I did not read all comments (and those by Lars, who is a TM of Agile) and I am sure Agile thought and did a lot about and to protect all data. Greets, Claus

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@claus -

I understand it as "more is done inside the browser"

More like "everything is done inside the browser." If you have a 1password.com account and you install 1Password X into Chrome, Firefox or any of the Chrome derivatives (Brave, Vivaldi), you don't even need to install the native 1Password for Mac application. Such a setup (1Password account plus 1Password X in a browser) is a self-contained system. Or it can function as one.

If you're curious about 1Password security when using a 1password.com account, I'd recommend the full 1password.com security white paper. It's an excellent and very in-depth resource for users to check how 1Password works to keep your data private and secure. Feel free to ask questions. I will say more generally that if your system has been compromised, depending on the level of control gained, there will be things we can do nothing about; once an attacker has gained the ability to execute arbitrary code running as root, your computer can no longer truly be considered "yours." There's a limit to what 1Password can protect against, and that's why we say that security is a process and not a product -- you have to exercise good judgment and follow best practices like not clicking attachments in emails from senders you don't know (or even be careful of suspicious-looking ones from senders you DO know), only install apps from trusted sources such as identified developers and App Stores, and numerous other practices that are well outside the scope of this forum. The basics are what they've always been: stay alert, choose a good Master Password and don't share it with anyone else, don't leave your computer unattended and running, and other precautions. In conjunction with such user-practices, 1Password offers a high level of security for your most-important data.

• claus
    claus
    Community Member

Dear Lars, thank you for these clear words. And a "Sorry" for what I wrote in my last comment. I wanted to say that I read most of the comments quick (and also yours where you go deeper into 1Pwd X). I did not want to say that I have not read yours!
    Ok, I will have a look at the white paper, I will read it and understand little bit more what happens under the surface.
    For me like with many other things I need some time for news and changes - I need to see if it works and how it works. But then, after doing the change I am almost always happy with those. Greetings & Takk from Reykjavík!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@claus - as always, you're most welcome. :) Don't hesitate to ask any questions.

• onamac
    onamac
    Community Member

@Lars - one question: where you said "don't leave your computer unattended and running", are you talking about where there are other people around? Or, in general running (connected to the internet), while you are watching TV or out?!

• @onamac

From a security perspective ideally any time you're not seated at your computer it would require a password in order to use.

Ben

• Kromi
    Kromi
    Community Member

Hi, there's still one thing I don't understand: Supposed I have all my passwords (and other data like licence keys) in 1password.com and on my Mac I only have installed 1Password X. Will I be able to access my passwords outside the browser? Is there some sort of 1Password X app that allows to view my passwords even if no browser is running? Or do I need to install 1Password 7 in order to do that?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kromi! Welcome to the forum!

on my Mac I only have installed 1Password X. Will I be able to access my passwords outside the browser?

If 1Password X is the only thing that you have installed on your Mac, and because 1Password X runs in your browser, you will have to open your browser to access your 1Password data on that device.

Or do I need to install 1Password 7 in order to do that?

If you want to access your data even outside of the browser, then yes, you would need to install the 1Password app too.

• Kromi
    Kromi
    Community Member

@ag_ana Thanks, now I understand.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If there is anything else we can help with, please do not hesitate to ask :)

• jimriceus
    jimriceus
    Community Member

Hi Team,

I have 1Password 7 on my MacBook Pro, it created a new Primary Vault in iCloud, and imported everything from my old 1Password Personal Vault. I have been using the new Primary Vault since. When I tried to use 1Password X out of the Brave browser, there is no sign of my Primary Vault anywhere. Likewise, it is not on 1Password.com. What's up?

Thanks,

Jim

• Hi @jimriceus

1Password X does not support vaults that live outside 1Password.com (e.g. ones in iCloud). It'll only work with membership based vaults such as the Personal vault.

Ben

• jimriceus
    jimriceus
    Community Member

Thanks Ben.

Then should I sync everything back up to the Personal Vault and quit using the Primary Vault?

• Yes, but I'd recommend going one step further and delete the Primary vault, otherwise it may cause difficult (confusion) w/r/t your Master Password in the future.

Ben

• jimriceus
    jimriceus
    Community Member

Thanks Ben

Jim

• jimriceus
    jimriceus
    Community Member

Sorry Ben, one more question. How do I sync the current Primary Vault on iCloud with the existing (and old) Personal Vault?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jimriceus - you can't; it doesn't work that way. You can move items between vaults, but you can't sync them. That's why Ben suggested you remove the standalone Primary vault -- to avoid confusion or items getting saved in the wrong place.

• jimriceus
    jimriceus
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars. I used the Migrate Standalone Accounts functionality under the Help->Tools menu. There are some duplicates, but they are all identified with the tag that was created when I upgraded from version 6.x to 7.x. I'm going through the Vault on 1password.com and removing those duplicates.

Thanks.

• Sounds good. Please let us know if we can be of further help. :)

Ben

• BenBob
    BenBob
    Community Member

Sorry to express my ignorance but I am still struggling to understand the difference between 1Password7 and 1PasswordX. Actually I don't need to know what the difference is but which to use to have the best user interface. Since I joined 1P I have been using 1P7 on my MacBook Pro with Safari and I believe the same on my iPhone and iPad.

1. If I want to be able to use 1P with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, which to use? And if the answer is 1PX, does that mean I uninstall 1P7 (which I believe is an app as opposed to an extension).

2. If I want to use 1P on my MacBook Pro, my iPhone, and my iPad, which do I use? It seems that 1P7 is what I am using on all 3 devices.

3. Some of the articles and forum threads say to use 1PX you have to have a 1P.com account. I am confused -- doesn't everyone have to have who an account?

Sorry and thanks in advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BenBob: Honestly, it's going to be pretty subjective, as far as which is the "best user interface". I hear one way or the other daily from different people. Ultimately we'll continue to work to bring the coolest enhancements from each into our other apps where possible and sensible. So they will converge over time to some extent. Happy to answer and clarify some things though. :)

First, the 1Password desktop app/extension combo has been around for literally a decade, in one form or another. It's evolved over that time, but overall is pretty similar to what we've had for a long while now, and it's what many people are used to. It has the benefit of access to OS-level features, like Touch ID, and can be used outside the browser.

More recently, 1Password X exists primarily so that people who can't install the desktop apps can use 1Password in their browser. It runs entirely in the browser, so it works in situations where a desktop app cannot be installed, like Chrome OS, Linux, and restrictive corporate machines. It can be used inside the browser.

To get back to your questions:

If I want to be able to use 1P with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox, which to use? And if the answer is 1PX, does that mean I uninstall 1P7 (which I believe is an app as opposed to an extension).

1Password X is available for Firefox and Chrome (-based browsers). You'd need to use the 1Password desktop app/extension with Safari. Even if you use 1Password X, you don't need to uninstall the 1Password desktop app. But at least for now, they cannot communicate with each other.

If I want to use 1P on my MacBook Pro, my iPhone, and my iPad, which do I use? It seems that 1P7 is what I am using on all 3 devices.

Our browser extensions only work on computers, since they have all the latest browser technologies. But you can use the native 1Password apps on your mobile devices. On a computer, you have the option of using the 1Password desktop app/extension, or 1Password X. Technically you can use both, but that can get confusion. So I'd recommend choosing one or the other.

Some of the articles and forum threads say to use 1PX you have to have a 1P.com account. I am confused -- doesn't everyone have to have who an account?

You'd only have a 1Password account if you'd signed up with a membership subscription within the last few years, as no such thing existed before that. So no, many people do not have an account, if they purchased a specific version of the 1Password app, not a membership.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.