Adding a shared vault from another family

Options
dbabq
dbabq
Community Member

Are there any special tricks or concerns with accepting an invitation from someone for a shared vault if I already have a family plan of my own? If I accepted, would the new vault simply appear in my list of vaults?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member
    Options

Hey, @dbabq.

I'm not a 1Pass team member, but if I'm not mistaken you definitely can belong to more than 1 family account, but each one would have their own address. I quote Ben (1Pass team member) from this thread:

I think a key point to make here is that 1Password for Families accounts are 100% independent of each other. So if your son-in-law has his own Family (e.x. son-in-law.1password.com) and you have yours (e.x. mdbrown.1password.com) these are entirely separate entities that do not share any information.

Have a great Friday! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dbabq - there aren't any tricks or concerns, per se, but as arturoaubry mentioned, accounts are entirely separate from one another. When you say "invitation to a shared vault," that's not possible unless that user wants to invite you as either a member or a guest to their own 1Password Families or 1Password Teams / 1Password Business account. Is that what's going on? Or are they proposing something else?

• dbabq
    dbabq
    Community Member
    Options

He invited me to be a guest in his Family. Should he invite me using the email address I use for my 1Password Family?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dbabq:

You can use the same email address if you prefer, or use a different one, it's up to you. Because you are joining a different 1Password account, the email address that you use doesn't really matter, so you can definitely use the same one if you prefer :)

• dbabq
    dbabq
    Community Member
    Options

How would I access the new vault? If I use a different email address, would I have to log out of my 1Password Family and log in to the other one? Or would the new vault appear in my list of vaults under my own account?

• Ben
    Options

@dbabq

In the 1Password apps you can be signed into multiple accounts across various memberships. For example I have my own individual membership account, and then I also have accounts in my family membership, our work membership here at 1Password, as well as a membership for a non-profit that I volunteer with. All of these are accessible to me simultaneously in each of the 1Password apps. They all are associated with different email addresses, for what it's worth. As Ana mentioned what email address is associated with the account has no real bearing on the functionality here.

Ben

• rsteinla
    rsteinla
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running into a similar situation here and I'm a little confused. Hoping someone can help me understand better:
    I have been a 1password user for a few months now and I love it. My coworker quit and is trying to share a vault that he kept work passwords on. I want to be able to login to my account the same way I do right now (no extra steps, no extra logins, no extra passwords, ETC) and just see this shared vault as an option in my existing account. Is this possible?

If not, what am I missing? As I currently login from my chrome extension, there is no options for a login, just my master password.
    Thanks, in advance, for the help!

• Hi @rsteinla

Is this possible?

Not unless you currently share a membership with this person. Vaults cannot be shared across memberships. To share a vault, each person would need to have an account in the membership that vault is in.

Ben

• rsteinla
    rsteinla
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply. So how will I access both vaults/accounts from my computer/devices? When I go and use the Chrome extension, it only asks for my master password. What am I missing?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rsteinla - Ah, we've got a great guide for that. To add other accounts, just click the "Settings" link/icon shown in the example.

This discussion has been closed.