1Password can't run in Samsung DeX. Try running in tablet mode

mariusandra
mariusandra
Community Member

Hi all,

On a Samsung Tab S5E, in DeX mode, 1password won't start. I get this screen when launching 1password from a launcher or from a password prompt:

... which is a shame, since I find myself in DeX mode all the time as now you don't need an external monitor to use DeX. It's great for working and coding on the go.

I'm not sure what's the culprit here as DeX is able to open most non-optimized apps just fine, albeit in a small unresizable window.

This page could provide some hints: https://developer.samsung.com/samsung-dex/modify-optimizing

1Password Version: 7.1.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: android 9
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mariusandra. Thanks for reaching out! It looks like there's something wrong here, as 1Password should be working on DeX. I'll pass this on to our development team so they can look into it. Thanks!

• tws
    tws
    Community Member

Hi @peri - has there been any progress on this?

• Hi @tws. We don't have anything to report here but I'll let you know when we do!

• JDubDev
    JDubDev
    Community Member

I'm on a Tab S4 in Dex mode and am getting the same notice.
    I've updated to Android 9 and One UI 1.1

• Thanks for reaching out, @JDubDev. Unfortunately there's an issue with using 1Password on DeX, and we have an open issue to investigate. I'll pass your feedback on to our team.

• JDubDev
    JDubDev
    Community Member

Thanks for the follow up @peri ! If there is anything I can test or check for you on my end let me know.

• Thanks for your offer to help! I'll keep this in mind if we do need help testing, @JDubDev. :)

• zigguratt
    zigguratt
    Community Member

I just started trying out DeX and was very disappointed to find out that 1Password didn't work. It's key to my access to almost everything. I'm happy to find out that it's supposed to work but there's some sort of issue. I'd rather that than be told that DeX isn't supported!

Is there an update to this issue? I'm finding DeX more and more attractive, but it's a non-starter as long as I can't use my password manager.

• @zigguratt Thanks for sharing your feedback. I can understand your disappointment with being unable to use 1Password on the Samsung DeX platform. We don't intentionally restrict 1Password on Samsung DeX. There may be something specific (or lack thereof) with our app that is preventing it from running on the platform. While we don't have any updates to share yet, our development team have plans to review this feature request.

We made several desktop optimizations as part of a 1Password update focused on the Chrome OS platform. The app is easier to use with a mouse and keyboard, and we'd love to see these features expanded to the DeX platform, so you can take advantage of these desktop-like capabilities too.

• zigguratt
    zigguratt
    Community Member

Thank you @saad. I realize from the preceding conversation that this is unintentional. I look forward to being able to use 1Password with DeX. I can see myself using DeX quite a bit, so it's essential that 1Password be available. Thanks again for the quick response!

• zigguratt
    zigguratt
    Community Member

I actually got it working, though 1Password still exhibits the same issue reported elsewhere: The screen isn't refreshed after password entry. It stays at "Unlocked" until you move or resize the window, or switch focus to another window to get it to change to your list of passwords. That's a very minor thing when compared to it not working at all! :)

The way I got it working was to turn on DeX developer mode: Settings -> Samsung DeX -> About Samsung DeX. Then click on the Samsung DeX at the top five times. You'll be asked if you want to turn on developer mode. Obviously yes! Now go back to your phone settings and scroll to the bottom. You'll see Developer options. Click that and scroll to the bottom. Choose Force activities to be resizable.

When you next start 1Password it works as expected.

• Thanks for the heads, up, @zigguratt!

@mariusandra, @tws, and @JDubDev, does the workaround above work for any of you?

• mariusandra
    mariusandra
    Community Member

Hi all,
    I managed to enable developer mode, but couldn't find the "developer options" menu anywhere in the settings, even with the built in settings serach. However I did find the option in "Dex Labs", which I could search for in settings or could access by just clicking the "dex" logo on the bottom right of the screen.

However, I had the option "force apps to resize" already on.

Just in case I disabled it and enabled it again... and... somehow... 1password now opens in DeX mode! I don't know what did the trick in the end, but it works now! :smile:

I have the same issue with moving/resizing the window after unlocking though. I can live with it...

• Thanks for the update! Glad that worked for you, and hopefully we can get this fixed soon!

• tws
    tws
    Community Member

@peri using @zigguratt's workaround did in fact work for me. Hopefully the real fix will be available sooner rather than later.

• Thanks for letting me know! :+1:

• We've just published a beta update with some changes that may help resolve the issues experienced when trying to use 1Password with Samsung DeX. I would love to get your feedback on whether this improves things for you.

If you're interested in helping us test the changes, you can opt in to the beta here. The usual cautions about beta software and bugs apply. On the plus side though, you'll get to be among the first to try out the latest features that we're building such as dark mode and managing trashed items!

• JDubDev
    JDubDev
    Community Member

@mverde you guys are awesome! Got the beta version installed. I turned off all special settings (couldnt ever get this tricks listed above to work), no force resize, or allow resize in labs or developer options. I rebooted for good measure after turning all of that off and then fired up the new Beta build and it worked like a charm! Used it to login to the forums here.

This is why I've been a 1Pass customer since 2012!

• JDubDev
    JDubDev
    Community Member

Going for broke here.... I realize the market place is vastly smaller compared to Apple Watch but is there any chance of getting a Galaxy Watch (Tizen) or Wear OS app for us Android users (legitimatly the only thing I miss about being on team apple),

• Thanks for the update, @JDubDev! I'm glad to hear that things are working well in the beta. :)

As to Android Wear support, we don't currently have plans for this, but I'll pass your request on to our development team.

• @JDubDev thanks for confirming that Samsung DeX is now working as expected! When it comes to Android Wear, I hesitate to prioritize it over the many other features and improvements that we have planned because I have yet to hear of a must have use-case. If you've got a compelling case in mind, please do share it (although preferably in a new thread so that this one doesn't get muddled).

• JDubDev
    JDubDev
    Community Member

Fair enough. Looking forward to seeing what you guys have got next. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi 1Password team - great to hear you are working on Dex support!

I have been really enjoying using Dex and Linux on Dex Beta on Samsung S10+ and 1Password integration will really give this mode a productivity boost.

This forum page was really helpful to find out where you are at with this. I've just requested joining the 1Password Beta program too and hope to give it a try soon.

• Hi @RyanDeveloper. Thanks for reaching out. There's no need to worry about joining the beta, as DeX support was added in our latest stable build. Just make sure you have the latest version (7.2) installed, and it should work for you with Samsung DeX!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi Perl, that's awesome it has been rolled out already!

I managed to get 1Password running on Dex by following advice from others on this page. I ended up turning off all Developer and Labs options, installed the 1Password update, turned phone off and on again and it worked - well, mostly... when I enter my master password it plays the animation to unlock, then freezes until you move the window or do something that forces it to refresh.

Aside from this, the app works really smoothly on Dex and the UI is really well designed and executed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately we've had some reports that there are still some outstanding issues, but we're working on it. Thanks for your encouragement! :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @brenty - great your team is looking into this. The freezing issue also occurs outside of Dex mode too when you use Samsung split screen view in its regular mode.

Has 1Password considered some user animation preferences, like turning off animations, that might be a work around?

I saw you've been adding some accessibility options and perhaps this could fall into this? (I'm one of those people who go to great lengths to reduce screen movement, eg turning off animations, video autoplay, page transitions, etc.)

• Thanks for those details! Does it freeze on all occurrences in split-screen mode, or only when another app is in focus? I'll share your findings with my development team.

We haven't explored in-app animation preferences, but 1Password does respect the system settings. If you disable animations in Developer Options for your device, 1Password won't show animations. Are you able to confirm if disabling the animations in Developer Options resolves the issue with freezing during unlock?

• siebica
    siebica
    Community Member

Would be awesome to get 1Password working in Samsung Dex mode too! +1

This discussion has been closed.