1password7 password not working on 2nd mac

Options
copesthetic
copesthetic
Community Member

Longtime user. I just installed 1Password7 on my wife's new 2nd iMac. Everything setup perfectly. Now when I close and reopen 1Password7, it does not recognize the master password. I have copied and pasted the exact same password to the old iMac and to the online portal, and it works perfectly. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled and still get the same thing. Need some help.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:password not working on 2nd mac 1password7

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@copesthetic - I'm sorry for the trouble! If your wife cannot unlock 1Password 7 for Mac, you won't be able to do anything about that. Assuming you're both using a 1password.com membership (you used the words "online portal", which is what makes me think this), probably the easiest approach would be to click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data, which will remove all the local data in 1Password 7 for Mac. The next time you launch 1Password for Mac, it will be as if you're a new user: have your wife sign into her account...but be sure she's signing into the correct one. Especially if you've had previous accounts or more than one, it's important to check which one you're signing into. Let us know how that works for you.

• copesthetic
    copesthetic
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much. I think Imay have found the problem. She has 2 vaults. When I set this iMac up, the one she rarely used was the first one added (alphabetically). Is it possible that the login to open the software defaults to the account listed on top in the list?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@copesthetic - does your wife have two vaults, in the same 1Password account? Or two accounts? Those would be very different scenarios.

If you've (or your wife has) previously signed in using one account, and she's signed into an iCloud account that has iCloud Keychain activated, that account will appear as a choice for her on any device that she's signed into iCloud on, using the same Apple ID. If you don't see the account you want in the "We found X accounts" list:

...just close that window to return to the regular sign-in window where you can scan the Setup Code or manually enter the details of any account you belong to:

Hope that helps! :)

• dtrent
    dtrent
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know if my problem is along the same lines. I am upgrading from 1password 6 to 7. I set up an account online and am in the free trial period. I downloaded 1password 7 to my desktop, but am not able to open it. It is not a family account. When I try to enter my Master Password, (the password I set up online because my old master password was not long enough), it does not open 1password. I have tried both my old and new master password. My agilkeychain is stored on dropbox. On an associated note, I still have 1password 6 installed on a laptop and that works with my old password. On my phone I scanned the setup code and it seems to work with the new personal vault. What do I need to do to get the desktop to work and the laptop to update?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dtrent - I can't say for certain, but it sounds as if you may have created at least one other 1password.com account in the past, and your Mac is "picking up" that older account. If you've only recently downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac onto this desktop and are certain you don't yet have any data you need in it (that's not also somewhere else), then I'd recommend you use these instructions to Start Over on your desktop Mac. When you restart it will be as if you're a brand new user. When you choose to sign into an existing 1Password account, don't accept any existing accounts it offers you; instead, choose to sign into another account, and then either scan your Setup Code from your Emergency Kit (if you printed that off when you created the account online) or enter your details manually (sign in address (usually https://my.1password.com unless you have a 1Password Teams or 1Password Business account), email address you used to sign up, Master Password and Secret Key). Let me know how that works for you.

• dtrent
    dtrent
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

You are magic! It worked on the desktop and I am good. Now I need to update the laptop. Any secrets there to avoid this same problem? THANK YOU!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Lars, you are welcome! :)

If you have never installed 1Password 7 on your laptop, you shouldn't see the same problem. Just make sure to choose the 1Password.com option in the first window after you launch the app for the first time, add your information from your Emergency Kit (or scan the setup code) and you will be up and running :)

Please let us know how everything went!

This discussion has been closed.