Remove obtrusive 1PW7 advert in Safari Extension 4.7.4

snozdop
snozdop
Community Member
edited July 2019 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Booted my work Mac today and received a massive unsolicited advert for 1Password 7 taking up most of my screen which I didn't appreciate and had no idea where it came from. My boss immediately thought we'd been hacked as we've never received such blatant ads on a Mac before.

I eventually determined the 1PW Extension has updated as there's now a very obtrusive "1Password 7 is now available" message stuck right at the top of the browser extension and 1PW mini menu, and clicking it produces the same advert.

I know 1Password 7 is available. I don't need to be told every time I use the extension. I use it at home.

How do I get rid of this advert and message permanently?

I know you're all brainwashed into repeatedly saying subscriptions are the way forward, and that's the company line, but this is my work Mac, and I don't control the software that runs on it. It's my boss who decides what is good for us, not Agilebits. These sort of pushy sales tactics are the things that will make us look at alternative solutions, not blindly follow your "we know that subs are best for you" mantra.

So, how do I get rid of this advert in my Safari extension?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.4
OS Version: macOS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @snozdop

You should only be seeing the message appear once. If you're seeing it more than that we'll need to do some troubleshooting. :)

Ben

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

Which message should only appear once? The massive screen-filling one, or the ""1Password 7 is now available" message at the top of the 1PW mini menu?

• The massive screen-filling one

That one. :)

Ben

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

The "1Password 7 is now available" has been there all day, EVERY time I click the 1PW icon in Safari or the Mac menu bar. I just rebooted my Mac and thankfully it's gone now.

I think you should reconsider doing such advertising in the future. It's not what I expect to see from Agilebits, or in any Mac program.

• Thanks for the feedback. We feel it is rather important to keep up to date with your software, but especially your OS, web browser, and 1Password. We don't have any other way of notifying our customers of an upgrade (i.e. we don't have everyone's email address), so we'll likely continue to do in-app notifications.

Ben

• snozdop
    snozdop
    Community Member

Why not just use the built-in MacOS notifications? I wouldn't mind that. But not a screen-filling advert. Looks like a malware popup.

• That might be an idea for next time. :) Thanks.

Ben

• @snozdop Let me take a minute and apologize for the way this popup is presented in 1Password 6. It is a bit in-your-face and more so than I would have preferred. I believe there were "very good" technical reasons why I did it this way, however, because in 1Password I made sure that it does present as a notification first and not a giant window.

I will say this: our use of these notifications is going to be very limited. I believe we have one more planned to spread the word about 1Password 6 and Safari 13, but beyond that I don't know of any other planned uses.

• mrgreen
    mrgreen
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

It's ok to put the ad there, BUT at least add an X to permanently hide the ad.

I personally hate it because after testing 1P 7 I hated the new confusing design, the window behaviour when pinning an entry, the new confusing shortcuts to save a login, etc

Hence I find it annoying to see the suggestion after I made the conscious decision to stick to (in my personal opinion) way more user friendly 1p6.

There is no way I will upgrade to 1p 7 unless it gets the same minimalistic and compact design and easy to understand behaviour of 1p 6.

//edit: Since you said, it only should appear once, I have same issue too. It doesn't disappear for me

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mrgreen: The notice of the availability of 1Password 7 is only designed to be shown once. If you're seeing it on subsequent launches of 1Password, please let us know. But it's not supposed to "disappear" spontaneously. If you restart your Mac or Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q -- do you see it when opening 1Password again?

This discussion has been closed.