concerned about transition to 1Password for Families

Jim B.
Jim B.
Community Member

My wife and I have been using 1Password since 2008. It's become an indispensable application for us. We are considering subscribing to 1Password for Families, but we want to thoroughly understand the transition process before making that leap. We don't want to be without our passwords; the very thought puts me in a panic!

Here's our current 1Password environment:

• his and her MacBooks, both running Mac Store version 6.8.8
  • his and her iPads, both running version 7.3.2
  • his and her iPhones, both running version 7.3.3
  • sync is via Dropbox
  • 3 vaults: 1 shared, 2 private (1 for each of us)

Can you provide a thorough explanation of the process for transitioning to 1Password for Families?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Jim B.

I'm glad to hear 1Password has been working so well for you for so long. I'd be happy to help you upgrade to 1Password Families. Here is what I would recommend:

1. Sign up for a 1Password Families membership from your MacBook: https://start.1password.com/sign-up/plan
    2. Print your Emergency Kit that is presented to you as part of the signup process
    3. Download 1Password 7 for Mac on your MacBook and sign into your newly created account using the details from the Emergency Kit
    4. Follow the on-screen prompts to migrate your data
    5. Make sure 1Password for iOS is up to date and sign into your account on your iOS devices
    6. Invite your wife to your membership: Share passwords in 1Password Families
    7. Have her sign up following the link in the invitation email and then follow steps 2 – 5 (once created she should sign into her account with your membership on her devices, not your account)
    8. Make sure that both of you are able to sign in at https://my.1password.com/ and each of you see all of your respective 1Password data there

Lastly, make sure there is no "Primary" vault left on any of the devices. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Jim B.
    Jim B.
    Community Member

Your last point is concerning to me. If "Primary" vaults are removed, it seems the transition is a "one-way street" with no possibility of return to the version 6 state.

• I certainly would not recommend going back, but it is possible to re-enable standalone vaults if needed. For optimal experience they should be removed when using a membership.

Ben

• Jim B.
    Jim B.
    Community Member

Sorry about these following questions. I must seem exacting and demanding, but I want to do this correctly the first time!

When I do step 4 is only my private vault migrated?

When my wife does step 4 is only her private vault migrated?

When is our shared vault migrated?

Do all three of our vaults retain their current master passwords?

• Jim B.
    Jim B.
    Community Member

One more question: What are the steps I need to follow to convert my three existing vaults from the Agile Keychain format to the OPVault format?

• Jim B.
    Jim B.
    Community Member

forget my 2 previous posts. I just charged ahead, and did the transition. Kind of rocky, but I was able to resolve all the problems I encountered. Everything seems to be working fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Jim B.: It sounds like you may be in good shape already, but I wanted to address your questions because they're good ones and may help you or others in the future. :)

Sorry about these following questions. I must seem exacting and demanding, but I want to do this correctly the first time!

Relax! :) It's totally okay to ask questions. We're happy to help. But, more importantly, if you do happen to make a mistake, unless you nuke all of your data and backups, you can recover from it. ;)

When I do step 4 is only my private vault migrated?

The migration process copies data from the Primary (local) vault to the Private (account) vault.

When my wife does step 4 is only her private vault migrated?

Yep.

When is our shared vault migrated?

You'd need to move any items you want shared there yourself. Only do that once, or you'll end up with two (or more) of all of them.

Do all three of our vaults retain their current master passwords?

Vaults do not have Master Passwords. You'll each choose your own Master Password when setting up your own accounts.

One more question: What are the steps I need to follow to convert my three existing vaults from the Agile Keychain format to the OPVault format?

You don't need to worry about that. 1Password accounts don't use either of those.

forget my 2 previous posts. I just charged ahead, and did the transition. Kind of rocky, but I was able to resolve all the problems I encountered. Everything seems to be working fine.

If you're all set, that's great! Just make sure none of you have a Primary vault on any of your devices still and you should be good to go. But if you -- or your loved ones -- have any other questions along the way, we're here for you. Have a great weekend! :chuffed:

• Tamjam
    Tamjam
    Community Member

Hello Ben or Brent or anyone,

I'm a longgggg time 1Password 6 user.. purchased through the App store. My partner is using it too and we have 1 shared vault. on our iPhones we're using 7.3.2 accessing our data [dropbox sync].

I want to upgrade to a Families account. Most things in the migration seem clear - I have to join via the agile bits portal - make a 7 families account with subscription etc - unsubscribe in the App store - then do the data migration dance.

From what I can tell, it's only the private vault data that gets migrated - what's not clear here is what happens to shared vault data from the legacy 6 accounts..

It looks like that stuff will just hang in limbo - ie only MY private vault data can be migrated into my personal area of the Family account. Is that correct?

Assuming that is true, does one thus need to import any p/w's that are solely in a 1P6 shared vault over to one of the private vaults [while still in 1P6] before migrating that updated private vault over into ones new [vault/private account area?] in the new 1P7 family account?

Would love some help with this please.

TIA

Ken

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Tamjam!

From what I can tell, it's only the private vault data that gets migrated - what's not clear here is what happens to shared vault data from the legacy 6 accounts..

Only the Private vault data can be migrated automatically, but you can migrate any other vault items manually by moving your items. For example, you can move the items in your shared Dropbox vault to the Shared vault that is created automatically when you create a Families account.

It looks like that stuff will just hang in limbo - ie only MY private vault data can be migrated into my personal area of the Family account. Is that correct?

You can move anything from any vault to any vault, if you wish. Nothing is stopping you from moving your shared data to your personal vault in the Families account too, if that's what you wish. You are in complete control of your data.

Assuming that is true, does one thus need to import any p/w's that are solely in a 1P6 shared vault over to one of the private vaults [while still in 1P6] before migrating that updated private vault over into ones new [vault/private account area?] in the new 1P7 family account?

You can do everything inside 1Password 6 if you prefer, yes. If you have both your Primary and your shared Dropbox vault in the app already, perhaps it's better to do the migration there, and then install 1Password 7.

I hope this helps!

• Tamjam
    Tamjam
    Community Member

Hi ag_ana,

Thanks, yes that handles my big questions... I should have been a little more specific - the big question was "Can I migrate shared vault p/w's separately from 1P6 to 1P7?

Really appreciate the help, thanks

Ken

• Tamjam
    Tamjam
    Community Member

That still seems ambiguous actually - what I want to end up with is a mirror of the current setup - my partner and I having our own vaults/personal accounts and also have a shared vault in 1P7.

SO the question is really, can I migrate all accounts separately and individually from the various vaults in 1P6 across [separately] into 1P7 accounts and still keep the linking etc?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Tamjam:

Yes, you can migrate shared vaults separately, so you end up with a mirror of your current setup :)

• Tamjam
    Tamjam
    Community Member

excellent. thought so. Thanks for your help!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Tamjam, you are very welcome!

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to get back to us anytime, we will be happy to help you.

Have a wonderful day! :)

This discussion has been closed.