I downloaded 1PW 7 as a 6 user. Can't sign in without old PW.

billhoward
billhoward
Community Member

Today I upgraded/downloaded 6 to 7. Can't sign in since I do not remember my password. Also really want latest Family version. Can I forget old data and start a new pass word with a clean slate for entering all new data.

1Password Version: 6 and 7
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: OS Mojave version 1.15.3
Sync Type: don't know
Referrer: forum-search:I downloaded 1PW 7 as a 6 user. Can't sign in without old PW.

Comments

• billhoward
    billhoward
    Community Member

I hope you can understand above. Please reply

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @billhoward! I think I understand you, but I want to be sure we're not having any miscommunication. You said you have both version 6 and version 7 of 1Password for Mac? Is that true -- do you have both currently installed on your Mac? If so, you'll want to remove 1Password 6 for Mac, because having both simultaneously can cause problems.

Can I forget old data and start a new pass word with a clean slate for entering all new data.

If you cannot remember the Master Password you were previously using for your 1Password 6 for Mac data, then you won't have much choice about starting over, unfortunately, because we never have your Master Password and can't "reset" it for you. If you had data in 1Password 6 for Mac that you need, it might be well worth your time to try some of these steps to see if you can jog your memory or properly enter your Master Password.

Please let us know what SPECIFIC version(s) of 1Password for Mac you have installed right now, whether there's data in one or more of them that you need, and for which version you cannot remember the Master Password. Thanks.

• billhoward
    billhoward
    Community Member

I had some data stored in 6 but since I can not find the pass word I have deleted 6 from my Mac. It is gone and it had some data but I can easily enter it in 7. I now have only 7 but I have not yet entered a master password. I actually want 1Password Families but am thinking it may be better to start with 7 and later move to Families. Can you recommend next steps for me?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@billhoward

I now have only 7 but I have not yet entered a master password.

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? In order to access 1Password data, you must have chosen a Master Password, so did you mean maybe that you just installed the app on your Mac, without entering any data yet?

If that's the case, and you would like to use a 1Password Families account, that's probably the best time to create one then. Once you have created it, add it to the app and start saving your items :)

• billhoward
    billhoward
    Community Member

Correct. I just installed the 7 app but did not enter any password or data yet. I do think I will go to Families now but am trying to figure out if the 7 that I down loaded was just a free upgrade to my previously paid for 6. If so I will now go directly to Families and pay for it before the new download and create my password then and load data.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@billhoward

1Password 7 is a paid upgrade, so that's why I think it makes more sense to use it right away with a Families account. If you have a Families account, you get the latest version of the 1Password apps included in the price of the subscription, so you don't have to purchase a license separately ;)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@billhoward - if you've installed 1Password 7 for Mac onto a Mac that was previously running 1Password 6 for Mac, the first-run process will (or already has, if you've opened it) attempt to import your 1Password 6 for Mac database. This will result in the old, 1Password 6 for Mac data for which you can't remember the Master Password being imported...and you'll be in the same boat: unable to unlock 1Password.

If this turns out to be the case, and if you know you can't recall that Master Password, then click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data and all of the data will be erased. The next time you open 1Password 7 for Mac, it will be as if you are a brand-new user; just choose the 1Password Families option if you haven't yet created an account, and you'll be taken through the process. Or, if you did already create your 1Password Families account, just sign into it. Make sure you do the same thing on other apps where you use 1Password as well. Let us know how you get on! :)

This discussion has been closed.