Password generator improvements

Options
randian
randian
Community Member

1) Permanent settings in Preferences? I don't see any.
2) There should be a "random" setting for the number of digits and/or special characters in the password.

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.15
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @randian,

Thanks for writing in with these suggestions.

1) Permanent settings in Preferences? I don't see any.

Preferences for what, exactly? Our philosophy tends to be that less preferences is better and to make every effort to pick sensible defaults that will work for the vast majority.

2) There should be a "random" setting for the number of digits and/or special characters in the password.

That is what the password generator in mini does now by default if digits and special characters are turned on.

Ben

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

Preferences for default password size, default number of digits, default number of special characters.

The mini password generator doesn’t give you the exact number of digits and/or special characters that the sliders are set to?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2019
    Options

The mini password generator doesn’t give you the exact number of digits and/or special characters that the sliders are set to?

There are no sliders for digits and symbols in the password generator in mini in v7.3, only checkboxes:

The number of digits and symbols is randomized.

Preferences for default password size, default number of digits, default number of special characters.

1Password remembers what you had set for length and digit/symbol preferences and will default to the last used settings. The intention going forward is that the exact number of digits and symbols will not be selectable, as this reduces randomness.

Ben

• randian
    randian
    Community Member
    Options

Main 1Password has the sliders so I thought mini would have them too.

• Ben
    Options

Nope. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@ClickCardo,

What makes you want that control? We're trying to understand how that helps folks so that we can understand how to best resolve the issue.

Ben

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ClickCardo - let's try to keep this conversation going in one thread at a time, instead of multiple places at once. I just answered you in the Windows forum, then came back to find this. :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.