To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

1 Password 7 license vs membership

ahmads
ahmads
Community Member
edited July 2018 in Memberships

Hi
I have 1Password on a couple of Mac laptops (business & personal) and my iPhone 6 (ios 11). Everything runs fine and syncs through iCloud. I want to upgrade to 1Password 7 on my MacBooks but I don't understand the benefits of getting the membership over the licence.

When I look at the following page; https://support.1password.com/why-membership/ it seems that I already get these benefits with my license i.e. using multiple devices, getting updates, syncing and backup.
1Password has already updated automatically on my iPhone to version 7.0.6. which continues to sync with my Macs running 1Password 6.

Also, would I have to purchase two unique licenses, one for each of my MacBooks?
Many thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When I look at the following page; https://support.1password.com/why-membership/ it seems that I already get these benefits with my licence i.e. using multiple devices, getting updates, syncing and backup.

@ahmads: There are a number of additional benefits to a 1Password.com membership (Travel Mode, intra-account sharing, automatic offsite backup and item history, etc.), but in your example the difference is that you'd have to purchase each of the apps (and new versions) separately without a membership. The subscription includes them all across the board.

1Password has already updated automatically on my iPhone to version 7.0.6. which continues to sync with my Macs running 1Password 6. Also, would I have to purchase two unique licences, one for each of my MacBooks? Many thanks

A single license for 1Password for Mac version 7 will allow you to use that on all of your Mac. It's the other apps that will be a separate purchase. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• ahmads
    ahmads
    Community Member

Hi,
    Thanks for your prompt response. I already have 1password 7 on my phone so what are the other apps I need on a separate purchase?
    Thanks

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2018

Hi @ahmads, great question! You would need to purchase a license for each platform (e.g. macOS, Windows) along with the Pro features on iOS (if you do not already have them). These licenses and extra features all come standard with the 1Password membership.

This is a great perk of the membership, but it has many others as well. One of my absolute favorites is the 1Password X browser extension for Chrome and Firefox (separate from the standard 1Password browser extensions), which recently received a massive update that included features like automatic multi-step login filling, guided password changes, and password generator history. Give it a try and you will love it! Furthermore, the membership offers, to name a few, enhanced security, a web client, and travel mode.

• duglessxott
    duglessxott
    Community Member

Just running across 7 for the first time (by way of Apple Store). Sure looks purty. Of course, I want to keep up-to-date with security software. I don't want a membership, much prefer my manual distributed backup strategy, don't care how hardened you've made the 1Password fort. Takes all kinds, I guess. So I'm your standalone license customer.

Anyway the documentation on the Apple Store-triggered install recommended a download from the 1Password site in order to buy a standalone license. Which I've done, and I see the license link for one-time @ ~ $50. Perfect.

But question: I have multiple Macs, and two phones and an iPad on two Apple IDs linked by Apple Family Sharing. Clarifying the above, will a single license get me 7 on my laptop and desktop? Will a separate purchase of 7 on the AppStore get it on all my phones and iPad? Or is a separate license purchase required for each Apple ID get it on the phones and iPad registered to their respective Apple ID?

Hopefully not a separate purchase for every mobile device, god forbid!

Something like:

Laptop - License 1
    Desktop - License 1
    Phone 1 - Apple ID 1 / Family Sharing - License 2
    Phone 2 - Apple ID 2 / Family Sharing - License 2
    iPad 1 - Apple ID 2 / Family Sharing - License 2

Acceptable. Or are Phone 2 and iPad 1 registered under Apple ID 2 destined for another license - a new License 3, to extend this example?

thanks!

• Hi @duglessxott

1Password for iOS can be used alongside a licensed copy of 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows with no additional purchase necessary. With a 1Password 7 for Mac license you can use 1Password 7 for Mac on any number of Macs, and as of writing you'd also be able to install and use 1Password for iOS on any number of iOS devices. Each person would need their own 1Password for Mac license in order to meet the license agreement. Family Sharing isn't applicable.

1Password for iOS isn't capable of creating a standalone vault, so you need 1Password for Mac to do that for you. For standalone usage 1Password for iOS is best thought of as a companion app. It is possible to use an iOS-only environment with membership.

don't care how hardened you've made the 1Password fort

Just to clarify: the security of your 1Password data has never relied on the sync service that you choose. Regardless of how you sync your data is always encrypted by your Master Password which is known only by you. Even AgileBits employees with the highest levels of access to 1Password.com cannot access your data. What we don't have can't be stolen from us. It is "secure by design, not by chance."

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• duglessxott
    duglessxott
    Community Member

True. But I have another layer of protection - 1Password doesn't have my data in any form. At all. Why exfiltrate even my encrypted copies if none of the rest of the service is of any value to me? The value of 1Password is in the application, securing data locally. I'll pay money for that. Not for a subscription.

I appreciate the clarity of the position of the two applications here: "For standalone usage 1Password for iOS is best thought of as a companion app". That's a great way to think about it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@duglessxott:

Why exfiltrate even my encrypted copies if none of the rest of the service is of any value to me?

If you do not need any features, absolutely, but it would still make sense for the encryption itself. Storing your data on 1Password.com uses stronger encryption than when you store your data only locally. This is because data is encrypted with a combination of your Secret Key and your Master Password, not just with your Master Password alone.

Which means that the safety of your data in this case only relies on how secure your device is, and how strong your Master Password is.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@duglessxott: There's a lot of value in automatic offsite backup for your encrypted 1Password data, even if you don't see it now, or see any value in the rest. I've personally lost data in the past, and wouldn't wish that on anyone. I regularly help standalone 1Password users who have gotten themselves into a similar predicament, who even when they do have something to work with (e.g. an old iTunes backup) it's a lot of hoops to jump through. 1Password memberships eliminate all of that: even if all devices are lost, stolen or destroyed, you literally need only your Emergency Kit to get back all the data in the account. So, based on those experiences, I would argue strongly that there is a value. That's a "layer of protection" most people don't think about until it's too late.

• J_O_D
    J_O_D
    Community Member

@brenty That is a very good point. My lesson learned (hrad) has been: I cannot trust myself under any circumstances regarding data-loss prevention. I better leave it to you, guys:-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@J_O_D - I mean, I don't think brenty was suggesting we and we alone can responsibly manage your data. In fact, an unofficial saying around here is that good security is a process, not a product. 1Password can function as the hub - or at least a vital part - of a good security approach...but it can't do everything, and it can't make decisions for you or any other user. If there were a product - any product, whether 1Password or anything else - that could reliably keep you secure under all conditions, this game would be over; everyone would own it and hackers would go look for other lines of work. But that's of course not the case. The best security you can give yourself is your own active participation in it. You don't have to try to be Ed Snowden, but thinking systemically and regularly about your own best practices for security is the real heart of any good approach to security. :)

• J_O_D
    J_O_D
    Community Member

I know that I have been exaggerating, but only to an extent. E.g. I have to have a local backup of my data or Secret key...but I cannot trust myself enough not to have 3rd party to have my cloud backup too...To choose the 3rd party is again up to me and my responsibility. And I did, that is why I am here 👌

• :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.