I have a 1Password family account for my wife and me. We each have a laptop and an android phone (Galaxy S9+). 1password works great on both laptops and on my phone, but on my wife’s phone (same model, same networks as mine) there are a few very strange issues that have left it unusable.
This is what she had to do, in order to open her 1Password app on her phone:
1.Open the 1password app and get prompted for her fingerprint, enter the fingerprint (At this point the app on MY phone opens every time, but on hers the list goes on...)
2.The app prompts for her master password ONLY. Enter the master password.
3. The app now prompts for the OTP so she has to navigate out of the app to open AUTHY and copy the OTP numbers.
4.Go back to the app and enter the fingerprint again, enter the master password again, enter the OTP.
5. If the OTP is already invalid it is rejected and we have to do steps 2, 3 & 4 again. If it's valid, after accepting the OTP the app asks for the OTP again.
6. Only after entering the OTP twice, she could access her vaults.
Note that this login process is ridiculous for each and every use, and is not normal. And I noticed that the app seemed not to be updating passwords, so beyond the tremendous inconvenience, it was not functioning properly so this is what I did:
This is how I already tried to solve this (and made things worse):
1. Since my phone works perfectly I placed them both side by side and went into all the settings and confirmed that they were all the same. They were, both in all phone network settings and on the app.
2. Resetting her phone did not work. Uninstalling & reinstalling the app did not work. Go into settings, then apps, then 1password, delete all data & cache, then uninstall app, then restart phone, the reinstall app did not work.
3. After re-installation, while trying to login, the app tells me it found one saved (family) account, so I try to log in there, it prompts me for her master password and after entering it I get a prompt saying : Error Unable to communicate with the server. Check your network connection and make sure sign in address is correct. (Note that network connection on this phone is fine, and I tried this both on WiFi and 4G)
4. Completed a restore of her account from mine (TWICE). This did nothing but change her secret key for a new one. I also changed her master password. Still nothing.
5. Since using the saved account returned a “network” issue, I tried to add her account on the android app back from scratch by using the “add other account” option using the QR code (even thou I’m actually adding back the same account). This has me scanning the QR code to auto fill the account data, asks me for the master password and the OTP and then… it immediately goes back to the login part of the app, so** I’m stuck in a loop and can’t login.**
6. I made sure there are no VPNs on the phone (I have a VPN mounted on the home router that I flashed with DD-WRT, but that’s invisible to the app and the phone and of course my phone is using this same tunnel with no issues). I even disabled Samsung's bloatware “free” VPN that intercepts the first 250MB/month.
7. I made sure that everything else was working, that networking was fine, that there were no antivirus apps nor anything else on the phone that could somehow mess with the app’s connectivity. Also everything else connects fine and all third party tests reveal no network issues (I’m running on 73Mbps download and 11Mbps upload)
8. I tried logging in on her phone using my account, same result.
I very much appreciate any help and suggestions as to what I can try next. Thank you!
1Password Version: 7.1.5
Extension Version: 1.15.3
OS Version: Android 9
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:android sign in network