To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Promos for membership renewals?

Options
Jools912
Jools912
Community Member

I frequently see 1Password promos for getting new users signed up to your service, which increase the free trial period, or offer some other kind of discount on the regular price, however, I don't think I've ever seen any discounts offered for renewals.

It seems once you're on a 1Password membership, you're forgotten about and are faced with paying full-price for ever more. That doesn't seem particularly fair - surely it's the customers that stay with you long-term that are the most valuable to your business.

Do you have any discounts to encourage customers to stick with you at renewal time, or plans to offer such promos?

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: macOS 10.14.5
Sync Type: 1PW & Dropbox

Comments

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member
    Options

I mentioned this earlier as I thought it would be a nice thing to do now and again given that we are essentially tied to their service, well I am because I LOVE it,

They actually have $125 gift cards on sale for $99 dollars, and we can buy them and use them for renewal, So whilst not as good as some of the promos they have for new customers, it's still something worth doing :)

https://1password.com/giftcards/

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi @Jools912!

Do you have any discounts to encourage customers to stick with you at renewal time, or plans to offer such promos?

We believe that the best way to get people to stay with us is by offering the best possible password manager that we can build, rather than using price as leverage. If you are happy with 1Password, and you think 1Password is bringing a benefit to your life, we believe that this is the best possible way to thank all of our customers for their support :)

Having said this, as @Zaka_7 correctly mentioned, you can buy gift cards at a good discount, and that offer is not only for new users ;)

• tfoxsail
    tfoxsail
    Community Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

Oh man, looks like I stumbled across a thread that covers a topic that has been a sore spot with me for years. The most recent company I had it out with (nicely) is my wireless carrier. I grow tired of all the benefits and discounts for new customers who join the carrier when I am paying the same (or more) after 12+ years of using their service. So....

First I am a new 1Password guy, having migrated over from LastPass. So far I am enjoying 1Password, and I'll not hijack this thread to point out the parts I have an issue with. In other words, I am one of the new users that @Jools912 mentioned above.

While I understand the point of view of @ag_ana and 1Password, I respectfully disagree. I have worked in the gaming and hospitality industry in Las Vegas for just over 2 decades, and it is one of the most customer-centric industries I have had the pleasure (tongue in cheek) of working in. The resort I last worked in was within 1 mile of another resort, and many of the resorts here in town are in the same boat...we all have a ton of competition that is within easy driving distance. Naturally, this means that the customer has options, and those options are easily found. This means we have to strive hard...and I mean HARD...to keep our customers. We know there are other options out there, and while I believe we offered the best gaming and hospitality experience you can get within our resort's demographics, we constantly needed to be on our toes to retain our customers - be they long time or here for the first time - and our marketing folks spent a king's ransom on doing so. In fact, we often held special parties and contests for our long-time customers, as well as our higher tier players. While enticing new players/hotel guests is very important and a critical part of business, we also knew that without our longtime guests we would have to close the doors.

From the 1Password side of things, imagine that you are a resort, and the other 'resorts' are the other password management companies that are easily locatable by simply typing "password manager" into Google. Heck, there are antivirus companies who are starting (or have) to integrate password managers, password vaults, and secure wallets with their antivirus software packages. You (and any other SaaS company) are just like a Vegas resort. The competition is right next door, and savvy customers who are cost-conscious are always keeping one eye on the latest offerings.

You can have the best product in the world, but eventually someone will come along and wrestle you for the top of the mountain. I would imagine that the founder(s) of 1Password didn't start their foray into the industry without having a reason for doing so. Well, the next company X is out there somewhere watching 1Password (and all the other big players) and making a list of issues that they feel need to be addressed...whether that be on the software side of things or customer service. If they sense an opportunity they'll pounce, and when they do, folks who hear "we love you but you should love us back simply because of what we give you for what you give us" will have to decide if leaving 1Password

Price is not "leverage". Price is not even the issue here. When I read @Jools912 comment, I don't see someone who is worried about the price (after all, it sounds like @Jools912 has been paying your price for a while now). What I do see within those words (please correct me if I'm wrong, @Jools912 ) is a longterm and LOYAL customer who doesn't want to be left in the corner to be forgotten while 1Password smiles and hugs the latest arrival to the party.

Just my 2 cents here. I apologize if I've gone off base, but I feel strongly about customer service, and I think that the point was missed by 1Password when responding to the OP. 1Password is great (so far) for me, so I feel that people like @Jools912, @Zaka_7 , and me voicing our opinions make for a better product (or more importantly a better EXPERIENCE) that will entice us all to stick around even longer.

Here's a question for 1Password....what do you do for your long-time team members? Do you tell them that they should just be happy and stay because you feel that your workplace is the best there is?

EDIT: One more thing...the whole "price as leverage" thing is still gnawing at me. You say you don't like to use price as leverage. Well, using it to entice new customers would be considered using price as leverage, would it not? If you only use your product's features and experience as the anchor for longterm customers, then why not use it for new customers as well? The only reason I can see is you are doing it because other companies are using price to entice their new folks.

Think about that for a minute...other companies do the same thing you do to get new customers. Other companies also tend to forget about enticing their loyal customers, so why not be one of the few that stand out not only for an awesome product but ALSO for how you treat that loyal customer base. It wouldn't be right if I didn't offer an example, so here goes...

I had a loan through a bank a while back and it was my 3rd with them. Imagine my surprise when they contacted me one December and told me "December is on us. Your next payment is not due until January." I was floored! That extra cash came at the right time for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum @tfoxsail! Thanks for taking the time to drop by and share your thoughts with us about pricing. We appreciate the feedback. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jools912 - before I go any farther, thanks so much for your support over the years. We literally wouldn’t be here without early-adopters like you. You didn't give us many details about how you're currently using 1Password and what you're paying for (and you probably shouldn't, in this public forum). We don't have any discounts just for renewing your account, but we do have a few specific discounts that apply to people in certain situations. If you'd be willing to send us an email to support+billing@1password.com, we can check to see whether you qualify for any of those.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

EDIT: One more thing...the whole "price as leverage" thing is still gnawing at me. You say you don't like to use price as leverage. Well, using it to entice new customers would be considered using price as leverage, would it not?

@tfoxsail: I think you're misunderstanding. We offer free trials to new users and existing customers alike. The point of that is so people can use it before deciding whether or not to commit. And we offer a discount to all customers who commit long-term: 20% right off the top annually. You can do that now. If you are, and you're still asking for more, what if we gave it to you? Then you can say the same thing again the next year, and so on. Maybe that's not what you're proposing at all though, and we can agree that it's not reasonable. :lol:

We could of course offer other kinds of "incentives", but let's leave the games to the cable companies. Since we're charging sustainable prices for our products, anything else would come in the form of higher overall "imaginary" pricing with discounts that match what we're charging now anyway. I don't see how that would actually be helpful to anyone at the end of the day. I'd much rather we charge what is appropriate, and continue giving people the opportunity to try 1Password membership first, with the option of getting a discount if they're willing to commit...which you and anyone else can take advantage of today. We're not going to offer ever-increasing discounts year-over-year though, because that's just not sustainable, and pretending it is would set unreasonable expectations and devalue the work that we do. I can't imagine you charge each time less than the last for your own labour. :)

• Zaka7
    Zaka7
    Community Member
    Options

As much as I love a bargain, you get what you pay for with most premium services, 1Password provides such a service and provides it well. They're not tying us in with an inability to go anywhere else. We are free to export our data and leave if we're not happy with the price. Similar to Apple, they're far more expensive than most competitors and rarely if ever offer discount, but they are still some of the most commonly sought devices.

What grinds my gears is price rises! The point you make @Jools912 regarding energy companies, tv companies, insurance companies (etc) in the UK is correct, they're a nightmare, however they raise prices year after year, so all you do is argue them back down to the price you already paid the year before (Sometimes a little better) so you're not actually gaining anything, it's very clever marketing from wallet robbing companies. They rely on the fact a portion of their customers will just pay the rise and know that for the remainder they will merely go back to the previously agreed rate.
    If 1Password continues to commit to the same prices, then we're technically already saving year after year.

All in, I personally see myself remaining a committed 1PW user for many years to come, I'd love the occasional free month or 25% discount on gift cards (etc) but it won't make me jump ship if that doesn't happen, however a 10-20% price rise or regular price rises like many companies do would make me reconsider as to me that's penalising loyal customers. I appreciate price rises are needed time to time, but most companies, certainly here in the UK truly take the mick with it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Zaka_7: I hadn't thought of it in that sense recently, but it used to come up more. We haven't raised our prices, and that wold only affect new accounts anyway if we did. A fair number of people are "grandfathered" in to some deals we ran when we introduced 1Password memberships originally. And when we have introduced new options, some more expensive, it's been on us to also offer more value for the cost as well. I don't think inflation is as applicable to software, but it's interesting to think about. I know the SNES I saved up 200$ for back in the day would cost about 350$ in "2019 dollars". :lol:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jools912: I think in most cultures gift giving isn't meant to directly benefit the giver. I thought the Thanksgiving promotion was pretty cool and fairly unique. There are still people out there benefitting from that. I don't think someone else getting something nice takes anything away from you. But maybe that's subjective and I'm being naive. If so, I think I'm okay with that. :chuffed:

P.S: If you get your wife to use 1Password, you can invite her to your family membership plan and she doesn't have to pay -- and that also makes it easy for you to securely share vaults between you. ;)

P.P.S: We do have an affiliate program, and you're welcome to apply for that. Cheers! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jools912

She already uses 1PW 6, but I don't have a family membership to invite her to. It's more about convincing her to upgrade to 1PW 7. She's of the opinion her current version works, so why does she need to change? Maybe when Safari 13 comes out...

Just a note on this; if your wife's main (or only) browser is Safari, that one is already in the mail. The day she installs Safari 13 will be the day 1Password will not work at all in her browser any longer, full stop. There aren't "work arounds" (unless you or she feels as if copy/pasting everything manually from 1Password because you can't use the browser extension is a viable work around), there won't be updates; it will be time to either upgrade 1Password or permanently choose another browser. Just a heads-up for you. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jools912: I guess that's one way -- a very cynical one -- of looking at giving away a free year of something that can help people secure their digital lives. I don't share it, and frankly I'm not sure I see how that "glass half empty" way of looking at it serves anyone, unless there's some benefit to being bitter about someone else getting a deal. There's certainly no benefit to health or happiness derived from ignoring all the positives in favour of the negatives. Anyway, if you're only interested in sharing 1Password with others for personal gain, I'm guess you're right: we don't have a solution that's a good fit for you. Personally, knowing my family and friends can protect themselves online by using unique, strong passwords so that one breach doesn't upend their lives puts me at ease -- and results in fewer frenzied calls for help. So the stress reduction does me some good as well. But if you're only in it for yourself, I can't really argue with you. :blush:

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jools912

I am cynical of a business that changes its previously long-held firm stance against cloud-based password storage.

Huh? I'm not sure what you're talking about, as we've had a "cloud-based model" since we first introduced Dropbox (and later, iCloud) sync, which began back in...2009, I think? Release notes for 1Password for Mac version 3.2.3 mention it back in 2010, and I know for certain it was available prior to that.

1password.com accounts/memberships are indeed new since Dec. 2015...and they are indeed an advancement because they allow us to do things most users want, which simply weren't possible with the limited APIs of 3rd party sync services, such as Travel Mode, individual item history, 1Password X, advanced sharing/permissions, the Secret Key, etc.

These things may not hold any appeal for some of our users -- and if they don't, standalone licenses are still available for version 7, for those who continue to prefer setting up their own, 3rd party sync and paying per-version for licenses. The choice is yours.

Regarding "promos" or discounts to "encourage users to stick with us at renewal time," if you've been with us since version 2.x, that means you're a 1Password for Mac customer, as our very first Windows version wasn't released until 2010 and never had an official version 2 anyway. As such, you've received both full-version upgrades to version 5 and version 6, completely free of additional charge, along with opportunities for other upgrade sales or the opportunity to gift free licenses to friends and family along the way. We've never had an ongoing formal program for it, but to suggest that you and other existing users have been left behind while we pay attention to only new customers is simply not the case -- you're either just not remembering those, or you're choosing not to include them in your request for another round of "incentives" to stay with 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Jools912: We've had the same forum setup going back at least five years. And this support article has a much longer history as well:

How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. This has always been our security model. We built and introduced our own service only because we were able to find a way to ensure that even though we store 1Password users' encrypted data we never have the keys to _decrypt _ it; only the individual user does. So you either misunderstood something that you think was said, or took it out of context.

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding how you want us to run our business. We'll continue to evaluate pricing over time, along with feedback from everyone, and balance that against the needs of providing the service and supporting it. Perhaps we can offer promotions similar to some of those in the future.

No thanks for the personal attacks, rudeness, and disruptive behaviour though. Just because not everyone agrees with you or does whatever you want doesn't entitle you to act out. If you continue to violate the forum guidelines, which you agreed to when signing up just like everyone else, you won't be allowed to participate in the forum any longer. Please keep that in mind before commenting in the future. Take care.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019
    Options

We'll certainly continue to evaluate how we can best show existing customers that they are valued. Thanks for the feedback on this subject. We've gone a fair bit off the rails here. If anyone has anything further on this please feel free to reach out to us at support@1password.com. Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.