Fed up

Options
Howiedoit
Howiedoit
Community Member

In a nutshell, how do I go back to version 6.

7 is not cutting it, nor will it ever cut it from what I can see. I am missing passwords between computers because of this disaster.
Version 7 on Windows is a disaster.
Tried to MOVE ALL password from this Personal Vault...142 items. I Highlight them ALL, right click, SHARE (which is a misdirected term as I am NOT Sharing anything...I am MOVING) pick the Dropbox Vault I want to use. It seems to do something, as it is unresponsive until it competes something in the background.

I then go and check my Dropbox vault...and the items are NOT there. Brilliant. Not one...not a single one. Wow...

You Cloud vault stuff isn't working.
I want ALL Vaults in Dropbox, NOT your CLOUD in any way shape or form.
So this also means this Personal Vault is Pointless and Useless....., >>>How do I get rid of it so it does NOT appear ever. There seems to be no way to delete it.

Can it be done...or am I done with 1password?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 7 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Howiedoit - it sounds like there's maybe a couple of misconceptions here about specific steps. For one, a 1password.com account IS "our cloud." That's literally what defines it (well, one of the things that defines it). If you want to keep your vaults either local or synced via one of our advanced, 3rd party sync methods such as Dropbox, you'll probably want a standalone license instead of a 1password.com membership. However, whichever one you choose isn't a function of version 7 of 1Password for Mac versus version 6. You could use a 1password.com account in 1Password 6 for Mac, and you can use 1Password 7 for Mac as a standalone app, if you like. So let's figure out what you're really after, here.

Can I ask: why did you sign up for a 1password.com account, if you don't want to use the 1password.com data hosting and sync service? That's not a judgment; I'm just not sure I understand what you're after. Why sign up (and pay) for something you don't want and won't use? If you don't want a 1password.com account, I'd be happy to help you transition to a standalone setup. I'd also be curious to know why you're opposed to "our cloud," but willing to put your data in Dropbox's cloud. I mean that sincerely: I understand some people's objections to ALL cloud-storage of data. But I'm not clear why someone would be opposed to one cloud but in favor of (or at least OK with) another. Let me know what you're after, and I'll do my best to help get you there.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Howiedoit - to be clear, these are the instructions for moving items between vaults in 1Password for Mac. Hope that's helpful.

• Ben
    Options

I trust Dropbox Cloud...ONLY,....because if the Internet goes DOWN, I still have dropbox locally.

That's true of 1Password membership as well. Try it: disconnect from the internet. You'll still be able to access any data in any 1Password.com vaults within your 1Password apps.

If the Internet goes down, and I use your cloud, I then I have NOTHING.

Simply not true. :)

I don't trust the cloud....never have...never will. Why would anyone in their right mind ...considering its history:....?

Dropbox is "the cloud."

And 1 Password can do better??

Yes, we can, because we never have your Master Password or Secret Key, both of which are required to decrypt your data:

About the 1Password security model

We use a totally different approach to data security than traditional authentication:

1Password is LayerUp-ed with modern authentication

If Russia can infiltrate the Election Process...I think that says it all.

If the US government is your baseline for security then I can say we're well above baseline. :)

I would rather have a standalone account YES....lets work on that....I have already lost around 40 pw and sites because of this.

You lost them? How so?

My ONLY saving grace was I exported ALL that I could possible find in 1password...so maybe I have them somewhere in a CSV file.

CSV files are unencrypted. Anyone who gets their hands on one will have access to all of the contents. So I'd highly recommend against keeping exports in CSV hanging around.

We'd like to help, but right now we disagree about what it is that would be helpful. Let's see if we can try to get on the same page. Please check out the resources I've posted above and let me know if you have any questions.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Please let me know when you've had a chance to review the resources I've posted.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

You can add a standalone vault to 1Password for Mac by double clicking on it.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Lars addressed that already, but I wanted to follow up to address something you mentioned earlier:

I don't trust the cloud....never have...never will. Why would anyone in their right mind ...considering its history:....?
    Marriott-Hacked
    Yahoo-Hacked ( 3 Billion Accounts)
    Equifax-Hacked
    Target-Hacked
    Dating sites...-Hacked (AFF)
    eBAY-Hacked
    Electoral Process-Hacked
    J P Morgan-Hacked
    Home Depot-Hacked
    Adobe-Hacked
    Sony PS Network-Hacked
    With just this companies, that over 5 Billion Accounts Compromised.
    And 1 Password can do better?? Any good reasons to trust the cloud??

Yes we can. :) What all of those (and countless other) breaches have in common is those companies were storing sensitive information either in plaintext, or encrypted with them having the keys to decrypt it. 1Password is the opposite.

It sounds like security is your chief concern (as it should be), and frankly it's ours as well. Otherwise we wouldn't use 1Password either! There's a lot more detail in our security white paper (which is actually a really fun read, even if you're not into cryptography), but I'd like to offer a few points that summarize how 1Password secures our data:

1. Your 1Password data is encrypted locally on your device before it is transmitted.
    2. The server receives only an encrypted blob.
    3. Your Master Password is never transmitted.

You might think I'm talking about 1Password.com specifically there, but that's the case no matter what 1Password setup you use — the only difference being that 1Password.com data is also encrypted using the 128-bit randomly generated Secret Key, which is also never transmitted to us. So there's an additional layer of security there as well which you will not get with Dropbox. Only you have the keys to your data with 1Password. I hope this helps. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Howiedoit - OK, sounds good. Is your current copy of 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store, or from us directly? If it's from the Mac App Store, you'll need to replace it with our version, as the Mac App Store version doesn't allow for standalone purchase. If you have the Mac App Store version, do this:

1. Quit Safari if it is running
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Delete 1Password 7 for Mac. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's trash.
    4. Visit our downloads page and install our version. When you launch it, it should have the same data that was in the Mac App Store version.

Next, follow these instructions to migrate back from your 1password.com account to a standalone vault. If you had/have Document items in your 1password.com account, you'll want to download those separately first to your hard drive, because they won't transfer directly. You can add them back as attachments to whichever records you wish once you finish the rest of the transfer.

When you sign out of your 1password.com account, your data will enter Read Only mode. Click the Read Only badge on any of your items, and you'll see the Purchase Options pop-up. Choose the standalone license option. Let us know how you get on.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Howiedoit - you can't and shouldn't try to delete your Primary vault, as it is (just like its name) Primary. That means it's the very first vault that gets created in every standalone 1Password setup, the first time it is run. It's the vault that unlocks everything else, the one your Master Password uses. And it cannot be removed while you still have other, secondary vaults.

Can you please look in Preferences > Vaults and tell me what you see? How many vaults are there, and what are their names? Then switch to each of the vaults, and let me know what the data looks like in each one - do any of them contain what you would consider a complete and up-to-date copy of your data?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Howiedoit - it sounds as if this is way more complicated than it needs to be. To get a better idea of what might be going on with your setup(s), I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#CDF-64618-273]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Howiedoit only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: CDF-64618-273

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Howiedoit - thanks. I've replied via email, so let's keep the conversation going that way instead of in multiple channels simultaneously. :)

This discussion has been closed.