after upgrading to 1password 7, the old version remains in my mac

Options
bkushner
bkushner
Community Member

I upgraded to 1password 7 on my Mac, but the old version remains in my Applications folder alongside the new version. Is it safe to delete the older version of 1password?

1Password Version: 7.3.1, 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:after upgrading to 1password 7, the old version remains in my mac

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkushner: If you installed 1Password 7 from our website, it should have zipped the old version. Did it not? It's absolutely safe to delete the old app. The data is stored separately. Just don't use a "cleaner" app, as those will often destroy not just the app but the data as well.

• bkushner
    bkushner
    Community Member
    Options

It did not “zip” the old version. Just left it there

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkushner: To be clear, did you download 1Password 7 from our website? And did you run the installer?

• bkushner
    bkushner
    Community Member
    Options

Yes to both.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkushner - you're certainly able (encouraged, even) to remove all other copies of 1Password from your Mac -- they can cause problems with launchd sometimes. I'd do a Spotlight search for 1Password and remove everything but the current copy. You won't lose any data, as the data is stored in your /User/Library folder.

• bkushner
    bkushner
    Community Member
    Options

To be clear, I can delete a) the old 1Password and b) copies of other files that show up in a Spotlight search but not any files in the /User/Library folder. Correct?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@bkushner - I wouldn't go deleting things willy-nilly. You can delete any 1Password apps a search finds that are not the current one. Things in Downloads folder, backup drives, etc. should definitely be deleted. The Library folder in question is actually ~/Library, and you should not remove 1Password files from there unless specifically instructed to do so by one of us. Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.