Control Number of Symbols in 1Password7?

Jeff9x
Jeff9x
Community Member

Hi, I see that 1Password7 removed the option to set the number of symbols or numbers to include when generating a password, replacing that option with just a checkbox. With the crazy variety of restrictions on symbols, numbers and letters that are out there in the world of sites that ask for passwords, this means we have to now vary the number of digits slider back and forth generating random passwords until we happen to land on one that might meet that site's required recipe. Was there a clear benefit to reducing that level of control to an on/off option? Or am I missing a setting somewhere that still provides that level of control? Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Jeff9x! No, you're not missing anything; we did indeed switch digits and symbols to just a checkbox to include them or not. There are fewer and fewer sites that require anything more than "at least one" symbol -- I cannot recall ever having seen one that specifies anything like "you must use three symbols or more" -- if you're regularly encountering these, can you provide some URLs of examples of sites where you're seeing this frequently?

The reason for this is a) simplicity but more importantly b) randomness. Passwords that are randomly-generated are much stronger than ones where human input is involved, and that includes the number of digits and symbols, as well as their position.

• Jeff9x
    Jeff9x
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, I do get it and you're correct that it's not that frequent. I just had to go through a big session of changing many passwords in my 1P file and did encounter a few high maintenance sites that required multiple attempts to hit the right recipe, wish I had noted which ones they were, but yes those are more the exception than the norm these days. One click random generation wins out overall. If I can identify the few hassle sites I encountered again I'll let you know. Thanks!

• Sounds like a plan. Thanks @Jeff9x. :)

Ben

• invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member

I'm running into this issue too. I would be fine with any number of symbols, but many sites restrict which symbols are allowed. If there's more than one symbol, I have to keep refreshing the password until it lands on one where all of the symbols are allowed. This could also be solved by providing a way to choose which symbols to include.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback as well :+1:

• invictus26
    invictus26
    Community Member

I just ran into this again and had to refresh many times to get a password that was accepted. Any update on this?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

We don't have anything to announce yet, but we appreciate your update.

This discussion has been closed.