2»

Comments

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @netnothing, try the following:

Navigate to 1Password 7 > Preferences > Browsers and make sure that the box next to "Filling and Signing In", labeled "Automatically sign in after filling usernames and passwords", is checked.

Let me know if that helps :). Thanks!

• netnothing
    netnothing
    Community Member
    edited May 2018
    Options

@jadchaar - yup that was it. I needed to enable that and install the script. Works now!

I will say on both my machines, the first time I checked the box I didn't get any warning and I closed the prefs. Opening prefs again and the box was unchecked again. Second time checking it I got the warning about the need to install the script.

• JadC
    JadC
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@netnothing glad to hear the issue has been resolved. If the install script prompt does not appear again, do you think you can generate and send us a diagnostics report?

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90248/auto-fill-not-working-in-safari-after-upgrade-to-1p7#latest
    • Your forum username: netnothing
  • fongd
    fongd
    Community Member
    Options

Whoa… so the requirement to purchase a license or membership after installing 1Password 7 is by design? Why wasn't this communicated more clearly to existing users?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fongd

...so the requirement to purchase a license or membership after installing 1Password 7 is by design?

Yep! Isn't that what most users typically expect when a new full X.0 version of software is released?

Why wasn't this communicated more clearly to existing users?

It was communicated pretty clearly on this very forum, in multiple threads. It was also addressed in the blog post announcing 1Password 7 for Mac beta, as well as repeatedly in multiple replies from Dave Teare to user's questions on that same post, like this one and this one and this one.

However, if you aren't interested in either becoming a 1Password member or purchasing a standalone license to get access to all the goodies in 1Password 7 for Mac, there's still good news: you can uninstall version 7 by Quitting it completely (type ^⌥⌘Q or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then dragging 1Password 7 to your Mac's trash. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. Then reinstall version 6, and you should be all set! ;)

• fongd
    fongd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Lars,

I should've been clearer about my post. I clearly understood that installing 1Password 7 required a license renewal. What I didn't expect was that all of the functionality that I previously enjoyed in 1Password 6 would be crippled while trialling version 7. I thought it would have been fairer to have allowed me to use 7 for 30 days as a fully functioning piece of software. Instead, all I got was window dressing and a bouncer telling me to pay up or go home.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@fongd - I'm sorry for the confusion. We do have a trial of 1Password 7 for Mac available, but only via the 30-day free trial of a 1Password membership. There is no standalone trial of 1Password 7. The majority of new users these days aren't interested in a standalone setup (or are even aware of what "standalone" means); they just want a setup that works and is secure. For the vast majority of people, that's 1password.com -- the easiest, most stable and secure way there is to use 1Password today. Those new users (and any existing users who are curious about switching from standalone to a 1password.com membership) can try out an account (and also 1Password 7) for a full 30 days without charge. Heck, at the end of that time, anyone who's been trialing 1Password 7 along with a 1password.com membership who thinks "gee, I like this app, but I wish I could manually manage and troubleshoot my own data and use third party sync solutions, as well as paying for and managing licenses" is welcome (invited, even!) to purchase a license at that time, then convert back from a 1password.com account to a standalone setup. It's up to you. :)

• heijaborder
    heijaborder
    Community Member
    Options

@Lars,
    I too was surprised by the restricted behaviour of this trial version 7. I don't frequent this forum so I wasn't aware of the multiple threads you refer to in your earlier post. I'd be grateful if you would post a link to version 6 so I can re-install that version. Unfortunately, I can't find it on your website.
    Many thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @heijaborder! You can find every version of 1Password at our updates server. The most recent version of 1Password 6 for Mac can be downloaded here. We keep those links live because we know there are definitely users out there who may be on devices that cannot be upgraded past a certain point, and thus require older versions of 1Password as well. But I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that as a security company, we can't really recommend this as a strategy to avoid a paid upgrade -- and not just because we like getting paid. Using outdated versions of software and OS can expose the user to many potential threats that were not present when those older versions were common, since older versions typically fall out of active development.

1Password 7 for Mac stores its data in a different location in your Library folder than previous versions, so you can uninstall version 7 and reinstall version 6 quite smoothly. Here’s how:

• Quit 1Password 7 completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    • Delete 1Password 7 - don’t use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password 7 app to your Mac’s trash, and empty the Trash.
    • Run the 1Password 6 for Mac installer.
    • Launch 1Password and you should see the lock screen. The Master Password you were using for 1Password 6 for Mac should unlock your data.
    • Potential extra step: If your sync method in 1Password 6 for Mac was using an Agile Keychain in Dropbox, you will need to reset sync, as 1Password 7 will have converted these older Agile Keychains to the newer OPVault format. Open Preferences > Sync and - for each vault - choose Dropbox as your sync method again, and select the appropriate OPVault. If you were already using OPVault in 1Password 6, this is not necessary.
  • MacClaus
    MacClaus
    Community Member
    Options

I thought the 1Password extension (4.7.1) is no longer necessary? But without the Safari extension, I can't use Auto fill.

• heijaborder
    heijaborder
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @Lars for that detailed response. Much appreciated!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@heijaborder -- you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist. Let us know if you need anything else. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2018
    Options

@MacClaus

I thought the 1Password extension (4.7.1) is no longer necessary?

We thought so too, for a while. The original plan for 1Password 7 for Mac was to have a completely new extension for Safari only, called the Safari App Extension. It actually made an appearance in several of the beta releases, but unfortunately we ran into a couple of roadblocks with it that necessitated we go back to the existing 4.7.1 extension for the full 1Password 7 release. We expect to be bringing the new one back as soon as possible, but for now you're quite correct; you'll need the 4.7.1 extension to be able to fill in your browser. You can grab a copy right here if you need to re-install. Sorry for the confusion. :)

• raamana
    raamana
    Community Member
    Options

It is a terrible decision to let 1P7 install without a CLEAR warning (that it won't auto-fill) AT THE TIME OF INSTALLTION, or DURING THE FIRST USE.

More importantly, it should show some alert as to why it is not auto-filling. It is MADDENING to a long term user like me, if it does not do that.

• raamana
    raamana
    Community Member
    Options

Why was 1P6 prompting the user so many times to say 1P7 is available, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade without warning then and there of the HUGE changes, such as having to switch to subscription-based model , or else loss of SUPER-PRIMARY functionality we rely on daily such as auto-fill.

• raamana
    raamana
    Community Member
    Options

My setup is totally offed up now for trying 1P7 - uninstalled 1P7, reinstalled safari extension, but autofill doesn't work. The shortcut Cmd+\ brings up the popup to select the login, but it doesn't do ANYTHING after selecting the right login. Such disruption of work!!!!!!!!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019
    Options

@raamana - I'm sorry for the confusion.

Why was 1P6 prompting the user so many times to say 1P7 is available, upgrade, upgrade, upgrade...

It wasn't. At least, it shouldn't have been, and wasn't in our testing. We did indeed release an in-app upgrade notice which should have appeared exactly once if you're using 1Password 6 for Mac. It looks like this:

In two places (indicated in red above), it mentions that 1Password 7 for Mac is a paid upgrade and asks users who have questions to get in touch. Just like any unlicensed version of 1Password for Mac, you cannot add to, delete or edit any of your data, and you can't use the browser extension if 1Password 7 for Mac isn't either licensed or signed into an active 1password.com account. That said, we don't never your data hostage; you can still unlock your data with your Master Password, you can still copy and paste your Login, Password, Credit Card and other items, and you can still export your data if you like, to either .1pif or .csv format.

If you've uninstalled 1Password 7 for Mac, you may need to reinstall the previous extension, which you can download from the Safari Extensions Gallery. Look in Safari's Preferences > Extensions. If you don't see an extension there called 1Password with the version number 4.7.3.90, 4.7.4.90 or 4.7.5.90, this will be the problem. Restart your Mac, then download the extension from that link, and let us know how that works for you. If you DO see one of those extension versions, make sure it is active (checked). Let us know how that works for you.

This discussion has been closed.