Face unlock on Android?

jfroelich
jfroelich
Community Member

Hi,

is there any chance to have face unlock on Android devices?
is this feature already here and i just dont find it - or will that be implemented in the future?

Thanks a lot!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• arturoaubry
    arturoaubry
    Community Member

Hey, @jfroelich.

It's an interesting question. I'm not a 1Pass team member, so I can only assume, but here are some of my thoughts:

1. In many Android phones, face unlock is just not secure. Some sites have reported that with only a photo, this "security method" can be tricked. Unlike FaceID, that it's a way more trustful authentication method. I imagine you wouldn't want your most important data to be protected with such an insecure method.
    2. There's no native support within Android for face unlocking (as there already is for Fingerprint unlock). Apparently, the new Android Q is testing this, so it'll probably be implemented if that becomes a secure option. Meanwhile, there are too many Android manufacturers that may be doing Face unlock differently from one another, making implementation pretty difficult.

It'd be interesting to hear a team member thoughts on this. Hope that helps!

• Hey @jfroelich and @arturoaubry. Recently, Google has introduced the BiometricPrompt API, which eliminates many of the concerns we previously had regarding face or iris unlock on Android. I'll pass your request for supporting this feature onto our development team. ref: android-100

• Attaran
    Attaran
    Community Member

Thank you, @peri. As a user who recently switched from IOS to Android, I would very much welcome this feature.

• Attaran
    Attaran
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

Dupe deleted...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• cryptochrome
    cryptochrome
    Community Member

I want to bring this topic back to life now that Google has introduced its new Pixel 4 phones. They removed the fingerprint sensor on these phones and completely replaced it with a new face unlock feature. It's supposedly on par with Apple's Face ID:

https://www.androidcentral.com/why-google-dropped-fingerprint-sensor-and-why-thats-bad-thing

Given that Google is moving away from fingerprints - just like Apple - I am curious what Agilebits is planning to do here. I am sure many people will upgrade their phones to the new Pixel and without fingerprint sensor, won't have an option to "bimetrically" sign into 1P anymore. Unless 1P adopts the new Face Unlock API (technically, that API existed since Android 9 and is probably the same API that provides access to the fingerprint sensor).

What's the official word on this? Can we expect Face Unlock (which appears to be more secure now than in previous Android phones, akin to what Apple is doing)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1Password for Android has supported Google's new biometric APIs since last month:

As long as it does what it says on the tin in the developer documentation, it should work right out of the box on a new Pixel 4. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.