Why is "1Password Updater" sitting in my dock after I recently upgrade from 1Password 6 to version 7

diitto
diitto
Community Member

As I said in another post where I asked a different question, I today went back to my "test" machine, an older MacBook Pro on which I recently installed 1Password 7.3.1. Previously this machine had some verion of 6, most likely 6.8.9. Today, I went back to that machine to do a few more tests before deciding to also install 1Password 7 on my newer, daily used MacBook Pro. By they way, both of these MacBook Pro's both run the newest version of macOS Mojave (10.14.5).

Today I see sitting down in my dock (in a section called "show recent applications" (just after booting the machine), an icon for "1Password Updated" and when I click on that I get a message that says "Update failed, failed to find the version of installed 1Password application". And when I on the icon and click on "Options" and "Show in Finder" it takes me to ⁨1Password 7.app⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨XPCServices⁩ ▸ ⁨1Password Updater Service.xpc⁩ ▸ ⁨Contents⁩ ▸ ⁨Helpers⁩

I don't normally have (on my other machine) this "show recent apps" preference turned on so likely this is just something that ran when I first installed 1Password 7.3.1 and I'm likely ok to just turn off that "show recent apps" option on the dock.

I am testing the use of 1Password 7 on this older machine before moving to my newer/daily used machine so I'm sort of looking at things I wouldn't normally pay attention to.

My guess is this is not an issue but can you maybe share when and why this particular helper does/should run and if I can just ingoer what I am seeing (error) when I run it now (after 1Password 7.3.1 was installed several days ago).

Your input???

Just FYI, my other recently posted question about 1Password 7 is here.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/514805#Comment_514805

Not really pertinent to this new question but just so you can see what I asked about a few days ago about 1Password 7 (stand alone license stuff).

thanks... bob

1Password Version: 7.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.5
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@diitto - it's a function of macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). There is a new feature called "Recent Applications" in Mojave's dock that wasn't there previously. Because of the way 1Password works, the updater is actually its own small independent program. This can result in you seeing that updater in your dock even though a) it's no longer active on your Mac and b) clicking it returns an error message. This is because you already DID update, recently, so there's nothing else for it to update.

To be clear, if it bothers you, you can simply drag the updater up out of your Mac's dock, which will remove it from the Recent Applications spot. If you open three other apps, it will also "fall out" of that location, because it's only displaying the most-recently used three applications. Or if you really dislike the feature, you can open System Preferences > General on your Mac, and uncheck "Show recent applications in the Dock" to turn it off completely. Hope this helps. :)

• diitto
    diitto
    Community Member

Thanks Lars, that all makes sense. That is something I'm not used to seeing, the "Recent Apps" deal in the dock. I appreciate the help. bob

• @diitto

I turned it off myself. I only want things in my Dock that I intentionally put there. But that's just me. :) Glad to hear Lars' advice was helpful.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.