Some apps not listed under Type In Window

Hello,

What are the criteria for having an app listed under the Type In Window feature? I notice some of them (such as Microsoft Edge) do not appear in the list.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Edge not appearing there is expected, @Transient. The stable Edge runs as an elevated process. 1Password isn't elevated so it can't see Edge's windows. This is ultimately going to be a bit vague, but the best way to state the requirements is that any app window 1Password can see will be listed. There are varying reasons it may not be able to see a given window and, while elevated processes are one example, I'd probably be hard-pressed to be exhaustive. If you often need to fill in apps that 1Password for Windows isn't able to see, I'd suggest giving drag and drop in 1Password X a go:

https://support.1password.com/explore/whats-new-1password-x/#drag-and-drop-everywhere

It does require you have your browser open, but if you're like me you have a browser docked to half your screen most of the time anyway. Being able to fill darned near anywhere is pretty awesome and I would definitely encourage you to give it a try. :chuffed:

• Transient
    Transient
    Community Member

Thanks for the explanation and suggestion.

Basically my use case is we are using VMware vCloud for a service. They provide three interfaces for connecting to a VM's console: Flash, HTML5 or a standalone app (VMware Remote Console).

• The Flash version (unsurprisingly) doesn't receive any keypresses.
    • The HTML5 version only receives the keypresses when using Internet Explorer, but the shift key is ignored (the password is typed lowercase, ! is typed as 1, @ is typed as 2, etc).
    • The standalone app doesn't receive any keypresses.

I tried 1Password X as you suggested, but it seems like it has some smarts behind it and will only target an HTML textbox.

I imagine very few of your users are using vCloud, so I'm not entirely surprised it doesn't work. :)
    I was hoping the Type In Window feature would save me from typing out the passwords, but I think I'm probably out of luck on this one as it doesn't seem to fully emulate a real keyboard.

• bundtkate
    edited July 2019

I don't think 1Password X cares about the type of text box because the thing I was so thrilled about when that came out is it made filling in the Steam app easier. Type in Window never saw it and it doesn't matter how many times I tell Steam to remember me, it seems intent on forgetting after a time. :lol:

Could it be vCloud blocking drag and drop, perhaps, @Transient? If it is an elevated process, too, I believe Windows will block non-elevated processes (like 1Password X) from interacting with it. Oh, and are you able to copy/paste? I know that's putting a password on your clipboard which some folks prefer to avoid, but 1Password for Windows can clear your clipboard for you after you copy a password, if that might make copy/paste an acceptable option. Finally, if none of the above works, I'd highly recommend word-based passwords for those you need in vCloud. I still have a few passwords I need to type fairly often and having them be full words helps a ton. Might at least ease the pain for you. Anyway, just a a few ponders and we'll certainly keep these sorts of use-cases in mind when developing for the future. :chuffed:

• Transient
    Transient
    Community Member

As it's presenting a VM, I don't think 1Password X sees a text box at all. I'm not sure what it translates to, maybe one big graphic?

Unfortunately, I can't copy/paste either. It does show up in the Type In Window list, but vCloud doesn't allow pasting.

The word-based password is a good idea. I could use a lengthy lowercase word-based password with "lowercase" symbols like comma or dot and then the Type In Window via IE would probably work.

• Exactly, @Transient. Since length is really the most important factor when it comes to password strength, a sufficiently long word-based password is often a good fit for anywhere you're struggling to fill. I can't recall the exact numbers (they're likely discussed somewhere on this forum, but search is failing me at the moment), but we ran a test with 4 word passwords and the general conclusion was that even those we're impractically expensive to brute-force, even when the wordlist is known. 1Password X is great for generating those as well as it allows options for capital letters and different types of separators (numbers, symbols, etc) so you can ensure those word-based passwords still meet the requirements of whatever service you're signing into. I know it's probably not the most seamless solution, but hopefully is something that will work for you until we can introduce something better. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.