1Password Mini Preferences

ltkije
ltkije
Community Member

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I would think that the usage pattern for the Mini would be to launch/authorize web pages. The current 'General' options for opening 1Password Mini are 'Suggestions', 'Favorites' and 'All Items'. Perhaps it would be useful to add 'Categories' to the list or, better yet, add 'Logins' as an option. Personally I use 'Login' about 70%, 'Credit Cards 20% ' and Identity 10% of the time. Truly a 1st world problem to navigate the additional steps but, still a little annoying.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ltkije

If you're using 1Password to navigate to websites before filling your credentials (instead of already being on the website when activating 1Password) I'd suggest setting this to "All Items" as that'll likely be the most convenient option for that situation. :)

Ben

• ltkije
    ltkije
    Community Member

Ben, thank you for your quick reply. I do see that your suggestion would work but my listing of 'All Items' is littered with Passwords (the ones with key icons). Is there any reason I cannot delete these from my set-up?

• @ltkije

If these are duplicates of passwords already saved on Login items, or passwords you generated but didn't end up using, yes, you can delete them. :)

Ben

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

On a related subject: I'm using 1Pswd version 7.3.2b0. In the "new" mini, how do I ensure that my log-ins ALWAYS appear above my credit cards? I've marked all my log-ins as Favorites and chosen Favorites in the mini pull-down menu, but my CCs still appear above my log-ins on random occasions. Since I use log-ins 90% of the time in mini, this is quite annoying and something that changed with the "new" mini. Is there a bug in the Favorites pull-down menu? Likewise, why isn't log-ins one of the choices?

e.g. I have both log-ins and CCs that begin "AMEX"; sometimes the CCs appear at the top, sometimes 4 or 5 places lower.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Full Score - if you're on a page that doesn't contain Login information that 1Password can determine, it will not offer you your Logins for that site at the top...since you're not on a Login (or change password) page. You'll see Credit Cards or Identities on such pages in the top position.

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member

You'll see Credit Cards or Identities on such pages in the top position.

Why? Shouldn't the "filling brain" be smarter than, "I don't see any matches so let me throw out all the item types the user might remotely want?" For example, why is that the correct behavior on this page? I commented in more detail here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/105194/7-3-1-mini-search-function-results-order

But never got any feedback so I'll summarize-- presenting "matches" against my couple of identities and 5 credit cards completely fills up the Mini screen and even when I start searching it favors all the credit card hits instead of making the Login matches first on the list. Please add my name along with @Full Score's to the list of people who want display results to favor the Logins (at least when searching). The above mentioned post has some other suggestions (recognizing that others may feel differently on "ideal" behavior).

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

Lars, I'm totally confused by your answer. Your comment doesn't make any sense. I enter my login info in mini SO AS to be taken to the login page; I'm rarely already on it. Why can't mini operate as in earlier versions: type in the first few letters of a login and it takes you to that specific URL. I do NOT want to see my CCs at the top of the list.

• Thanks for the feedback folks. We'll continue to evaluate how people are using mini and see if there are improvements that can be made.

Ben

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member

Bingo!

I enter my login info in mini SO AS to be taken to the login page; I'm rarely already on it. Why can't mini operate as in earlier versions: type in the first few letters of a login and it takes you to that specific URL. I do NOT want to see my CCs at the top of the list.

I think the 1Password team forgot about this (not uncommon) workflow.

I don't mind seeing CCs, etc.

1. If there is a reason to show them (the Google home page is NOT one of those cases)*, and
    2. Once I start typing in the search field Logins are presented at the top of this list.

And I'd welcome an option to have Mini present the list of suggestions and search results sorted by Category (with headers).

* Your filling brain can figure out where to stuff credit card number, expiration date, etc. if I click on it. And it does NOT fill inappropriate fields with that information. Couldn't you use that logic to decide whether to suggest any credit cards?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rlh - as Ben mentioned, we're continuing to evaluate how people are using the mini, to see if there are improvements that can be made. Thanks for the feedback.

• rlh
    rlh
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars. In retrospect it was probably harsh to say you "forgot" about certain customers. I understand software development and feature improvement is always a balancing act. Thank you for using our feedback for improvements. I'm hopeful that you'll converge on something wonderful.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

Notwithstanding all the above, I don't understand why, if I make (as I have) only my logins Favorites, and choose Favorites from the mini pull-down menu, the displayed items include anything but logins. What is the purpose otherwise of having a choice in the pull-down menu? Am I missing something?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Full Score: Just to make sure we're on the same page here...you're selecting "Favorites", and it's showing items that are Favorites -- including Favorites that are not Logins?

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

Yes. The only entries I've marked as Favorites comprise the entire list of logins - no others. But my CCs still appear after choosing Favorites in the pull-down menu; sometimes they appear before the logins, sometimes after. It appears to be random. But ALWAYS the CCs appear if I search with a common name such as items beginning AMEX. I would have expected that putting only logins in the Favorites would ensure that ONLY logins are displayed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@Full Score: Thanks for clarifying. I think there may be some confusion. When you select "Favorites" in 1Password mini, like this:

You're viewing a list of all your Favorites below that, regardless of the category they're in.

But when you type in the box at the top, which says something like "Search All Vaults" that's what happens:

1Password searches everything (based on your vault selection) -- you'll note that you no longer see anything about "Favorites".

Favorite items will still be listed at the top of the search results, based on what you entered, but all items matching your search query will be shown in the list.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

I understand completely that this is what is supposed to happen. But the result of searching is not as in your penultimate paragraph: "Favorite items will still be listed at the top of the search results". This doesn't happen. Mostly, the search results show CCs at the top, followed by my Favorites (i.e. login items).

I don't know how clearer I can be. On a Mac using the latest system software v10.14.5 with 1Pswd 7.3.2beta0, I use only one Vault (the Primary) and set the Mini Preferences to

Open 1Password to Favorites
    Categories Hide
    Tags Hide

Then I open the mini Search with Cmd-\ and type in my search criteria. As you point out, there is now no mention of Favorites. However, the list then shows my CCs BEFORE my logins.

This can't be right.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Full Score: That sounds like you're opening 1Password on a certain website and then searching for something -- not that you're seeing a general behaviour. Context matters. :)

If you open 1Password mini in the context of a website, it will show items that you can use for filling at the top. That can include Credit Cards and Identities, not just Logins.

All I can really do without any details is tell you how 1Password works. If you're having trouble, we're not really going to get anywhere without two things:

a. A specific example of what's happening
    b. What you would expect instead

Otherwise we're sort of talking about nothing here. Give me the URLs (for the site you're on and the logins you're seeing) and a screenshot (redacted) of what you're talking about, and I'll be happy to test it.

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

Brenty,

Thank you for trying to get to the bottom of this problem. I think I can shed more light on it.

(a) if I activate mini when OUTSIDE a browser (eg in Email, a word processor or the Finder) mini places Favorites (in my case, Logins) at the top which is what I want
    (b) if I open a browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera or SeaMonkey) and do NOT select an URL, mini also shows the correct order
    (c) But, if I open a browser, load an URL and then activate mini, it shows my CCs ahead of my Logins.

Is there some way to make (c) behave the same way as (a) and (b)?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Brenty, Thank you for trying to get to the bottom of this problem. I think I can shed more light on it.

@Full Score: Likewise, thanks for your patience and willingness to work with me on this. :chuffed:

(a) if I activate mini when OUTSIDE a browser (eg in Email, a word processor or the Finder) mini places Favorites (in my case, Logins) at the top which is what I want

Yep. That's expected, as there is no context for 1Password to offer suggestions. One exception though: if you do this in an app that 1Password is able to detect (iTunes is a common example), it will try to offer you suggestions based on that.

(b) if I open a browser (Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera or SeaMonkey) and do NOT select an URL, mini also shows the correct order

Yep. No website, so 1Password isn't trying to offer you things to fill.

(c) But, if I open a browser, load an URL and then activate mini, it shows my CCs ahead of my Logins.
    Is there some way to make (c) behave the same way as (a) and (b)?

It will depend entirely on the specific webpage, which is why I requested the URL. 1Password analyzes the page and tries to offer Logins, Credit Cards, and Identities to fill based on the content. It doesn't always get it right, and when it isn't sure if it's a login or payment page, for example, it will offer all three. But if it sees that it's asking for payment information instead of login credentials, it can suggest Credit Cards. If there's something that can be improved, we'll see what we can do by testing it. But ultimately 1Password mini is always going to prioritize filling based on the context of what's in the browser since that's what most people use it for; whereas you will always be able to view your data in the main 1Password window as a database with no context.

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

Brenty,

Many thanks for your detailed response. In reply to your last para, I would throw out the suggestion that you offer the user the choice of including CCs, or not. Everyone works differently. In my case I have ensured that all the CCs I use on a regular basis are listed in my Safari/Preferences/AutoFill web forms. I therefore don't need these to be displayed in the mini suggestions, and it would provide more logical consistency if I could avoid having them listed, or at least control the display order.

I realize that you must constantly be trying to find a balance between conflicting requests, but there does seem to be a reluctance at Agilebits to give the user detailed control over such issues. I have the same reservation over the red headers that appear in the main app when notifying us of Reused Passwords. Again, this is something for which you should offer the user a preference to switch on/off.

Just my two cents.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback @Full Score :)

I am curious about something you wrote though, so I would have a question for you if you don't mind:

In my case I have ensured that all the CCs I use on a regular basis are listed in my Safari/Preferences/AutoFill web forms.

Can I ask you what is the reason why you decided to store your information in 1Password, but keep credit card data out of it?

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

For ag_ana: I DO store all my 10 CCs in 1Password, plus 17 others that have been cancelled/expired. For my everyday workflow, I simply prefer to keep a small selection of my most regularly used CCs in my Safari autofill forms as it's quicker than sorting through the full list in 1Pswd. It's also much easier to use the trackball/mouse under my hand (one click, one scroll) than invoke a mini search in 1Pswd, particularly as I can't be sure whether my CCs will appear at the top/bottom of the list (hence this entire discussion).

All my comments above have been focused on my inability to force my Logins to the top of any list presented in mini. Choosing Favorites (in my case my Logins) in the mini preferences would suggest that these should take precedence over all other entries and therefore be placed first in the search list, but this doesn't happen if I'm on a specific URL (as explained above by Brenty).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Got it, thank you for clarifying @Full Score! :+1:

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

I've just downloaded v7.3.2.BETA-1 in the hope that the above would be fixed, or at least some user options activated. No luck.
    To reiterate: I want my Favorites (in my case Logins) to ALWAYS appear at the top of my mini list. At present they will if I remember to invoke mini by clicking outside my browser; however, if on a browser page, it still insists on placing my CCs at the top. Why is it so difficult to give the user an option to change this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I want my Favorites (in my case Logins) to ALWAYS appear at the top of my mini list.

@Full Score: We don't have any plans for that. The primary function of 1Password mini is to get people quick access to fill things in the context of the current webpage (or app, in some cases), since that's how most people use 1Password most of the time -- and in many cases exclusively.

At present they will if I remember to invoke mini by clicking outside my browser; however, if on a browser page, it still insists on placing my CCs at the top.

If you have 1Password Preferences > Mini set to "Favorites", then when you open mini outside of a filling context -- i.e. ⌘ ⌥ \ or from the menu bar, instead of ⌘ \ to fill -- you'll see your list of Favorites, as I illustrated above:

No Credit Cards (except those I've Favorited).

Why is it so difficult to give the user an option to change this?

Because we can't reasonably add an option to change behaviour for every request users come up with. It's just not logistically feasible. But in this case, it seems to be something to do with whatever website you're at, and you haven't given us information to be able to reproduce it even. It's very possible that there is something we could improve that could help you, but it's impossible to say at this point; and we're not going to blindly change things just taking your word for it what the problem is and what the solution should be. That is likely to have results that are not satisfying to anyone -- including you. :blush:

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

Brenty, I am clearly not explaining myself very well. Allow me to try again.

It doesn't matter which web site I'm on, choosing mini whilst any browser is the foremost application, does NOT EVER place Favorites at the top. Clicking anywhere outside the browser and then invoking mini brings it up correctly. As you've pointed out above, my chosen pull-down Favorites mini menu disappears when activated WITHIN the browser - it makes no difference which web site I'm on, nor whether I use Safari, Firefox, Chrome, etc. It also doesn't make any difference whether I invoke mini using ⌘ ⌥ \ or select the icon in the menu bar.

Perhaps you could try creating a login, plus a separate CC, both starting with the same letters (say AMEX or Chase) and see if you find the same behavior.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Full Score: As it happens, I have both American Express and Chase Credit card items myself. Would you be able to take a screenshot (and remove any sensitive information) to send via email along with the rest of the details? I'm legitimately not sure what you mean by "my chosen pull-down Favorites mini menu disappears". This is what I see on this very site with Favorites set as the default, when pressing ⌘ ⌥ \:

Just send it to support@1password.com with a link to this thread and mention me by name so the team can make sure I see it. I'll be happy to investigate further.

• Full Score
    Full Score
    Community Member

Brenty, I have sent you an Email with attachments. Thanks again for your help with this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Full Score: Thanks! I'm not seeing it under this email address, but if you'll let me know the Support ID once you've received it I can find it with that. :)

This discussion has been closed.