1Password unlocked when left idle overnight.

When I woke up this morning and got on my Windows 10 system, I noticed 1Password was left open but minimized.

I went ahead and clicked the task bar to expand it so I could close it, only to find the app was completely unlocked.

I specifically unlocked, used & minimized it last night, several hours before this...

The computer sat idle for somewhere between 7 to 8 hours.

I went into settings & verified auto lock was enabled and set to 10 minutes...

1Password version is 7.3.684...

I don't know my exact Windows 10 version off hand (I can check when I get home) but its as up to date as it can be sans 1903 (windows update indicates 1903 will be automatically installed once a known issue is fixed by Microsoft).

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Do you happen to have any Razer peripherals, @bobbyt? Mouse, keyboard, etc? There have been a few things that we've found to prevent auto-locking over the years and Razer Synapse is one. I believe it actually prevents your PC from truly idling thus your auto-lock timer won't ever run. Let me know if you use Razer Synapse and I will check to see if we know of any workaround. I don't recall one off the top of my head, but my memory is far from perfect, so better to ask around. :chuffed:

• bobbyt
    bobbyt
    Community Member

Yes I do...

To be honest I've been a diehard Mac user all my life, the only reason I own a Windows PC is solely for gaming...

I use Razer Synapse 2 as Synapse 3 hasn't been updated to support one of the Razer devices I own...

• That'll do it then, @bobbt. And there is, unfortunately, not way to keep Synapse from mucking with auto-lock. It genuinely prevents your system from idling, so 1Password actually isn't wrong here – your system hasn't been idle for 10 minutes so it shouldn't lock. Everyone has their own threat model, of course, but it has long been my view that the threats to my desktop that lives at my house are limited compared to those my Surface faces when I drag it to coffee shops and the like. My Surface has a super short auto-lock timer, but on my desktop I rely almost exclusively on "lock when computer is locked". Many years working in an office has trained me to hit Windows + L any time I get up from my desk and, on the off-chance I forget, my PC will lock itself after 10 minutes, which will lock 1Password. I don't have any Razer peripherals myself (I'm a Steelseries gal :wink:) so I can't say whether Razer Synapse will have the same effect on your PC's lock timer as it does on 1Password's, but it's worth checking – set your PC to lock after a super short period of time and see if it actually happens. If that works, the same strategy may work for you.

If you PC similarly isn't locking when it should, you could also consider 1Password X. 1Password X lives in your browser so it will lock whenever you close your browser. Not everyone is in the habit of locking their PC, but I think most of us close browser tabs when we leave the computer for the day. 1Password X works without the desktop app so by using it instead, you'll not have to rely on an idle timer to lock 1Password.

Hopefully one of these helps, but let me know if you have additional questions or I can do anything else to lend a hand. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.