To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Custom Icons in Password 7 ?

glindsey
glindsey
Community Member

As far as I can tell, the ability to customize the icons for the logins has been eliminated from 1Password 7. I would love to see this feature restored, if possible.

Here are the steps that I take to try to customize an icon:
1. I click on the Edit Button
2. I click on the icon that I want to customize.
3. The icon becomes highlighted.
4. I try to drag a custom icon to replace the old icon.
5. A window opens that gives me the option to "add a linked document."
6. Dragging the icon into this window does not replace the old icon. :(

Has this feature been eliminated, or am I doing something incorrectly?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: 1Password Subscription

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

@glindsey paste the icon image instead of dragging it. hth

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Thank you! Then the correct procedure, for one who is following the thread and wishes to have a custom login icon:
    1. Click on the Edit Button for the Login Item.
    2. Double click on the icon. An icon window will open.
    3. Then drag the replacement custom icon onto the icon that you wish to change.
    4. Resize the new icon if necessary.
    5. Click "Done" in the icon window.
    6. Click "Save".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Yep! Pasting or dragging directly to the icon area will work. Sorry for the confusion though. We do want it to be easy to add Documents. Cheers! :)

• olivierdb
    olivierdb
    Community Member

Why doesn't 1Password 7.3.1 catch the default favicon of the website url used to login? (It didn't fetch the favicon of www.kickresume.com which namely contains a favicon.ico at its root for example)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2019

@olivierdb - because favicons are usually 16x16 pixels in size (though they can be up to 64, that's far less common), and those sizes are just too low-resolution for 1Password. We actually tried this for a while, and it wasn't a success; users weren't happy with the 8-bit-looking, jagged icons we used when we didn't have a nice higher-res icon in the Rich Icons database. We do have a great deal of Rich Icons, including for many less-well-traveled sites. But the internet is a big place, and we'll never have an up-to-the-minute, high-res cache of every site's icons. So, for the present anyway, the fallback is: for sites for which don't have a high-res Rich Icon, we'll give you instead a nice, custom-made generic icon for the site. From there, you can:

1. Keep it (they're pretty nice looking)
    2. Get in touch with us with the URL of the site as well as a high-res icon (we prefer 512x512), and we'll add it to the Rich Icons server so everyone can enjoy it if they have an account at that site, or
    3. Select the item in the main 1Password window, click Edit, double-click the icon itself which will bring up the image picker, and drag/drop any icon or other image file you like.

Hope that's helpful. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Lars: I resent that characterization. 8-bit graphics look much radder than favicons.

• olivierdb
    olivierdb
    Community Member

@Lars Thank you for your quick answer. 1Password could contain a small function to look for high quality icons for a given url. I actually created something similar for an extension for Firefox. If you're curious, have a look at the function AddNewFavicon on line 570 here: https://github.com/odebroqueville/contextSearch/blob/master/scripts/background.js. You can't use it as is because I don't specifically look for the highest quality icon, so you'd need to make changes. I also end up using Matt's bestIcon API as a fallback when I can't find a favicon. I hope this will inspire you to work out something.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@brenty - ya got me. :lol: True.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@olivierdb - it's certainly something to consider. The problem with such things is not how they work, it's when they don't. We got enough feedback from just our scraping of favicons (back during the short time we were doing that), that it convinced us we needed a better solution that didn't wind up generating more confusion or user-dissatisfaction. The process we're using currently isn't perfect by any means, but at least with the current setup, you get a nice custom "generic" icon for sites we can't match. Perhaps we can combine approaches in the future, but as with anything else, that's a matter of priorities and available developer cycles. Thanks for letting us know you're interested in this, though! :)

• robertensel
    robertensel
    Community Member

I noticed that you can use custom.png files as logos, but .ico are for some reason not supported in your system. Therefore a lot of logins do not get a custom logo.
    now i can rename .ico files to .png files and then it works, but this could be so much easier if you can support the ico files when importing a custom made icon. Can you tell me if this bug can be solved?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @robertensel! We appreciate every idea that could make 1Password even better.

I can see how this could be useful to you, so while I cannot make any promises, I can tell you that I have shared your feedback internally :)

Once again, thank you and have a wonderful day!

• robertensel
    robertensel
    Community Member
    edited November 2019

unfortunately @ag_ana now, since my last post, i cannot import anymore.. nor png, nor jpg. what happend?
    it looks like something was changed... :( :(
    it was a nice workaround, but are there any criteria i need to match the icon i want to import??
    please inform me, how i can now import my own logo's, because waiting for you to import them is not usefull

what happens now, when i import a file, it says "..updating" i see a green flag and then my loginsession expires and i have to login again, but nothing is imported..

• Hi @robertensel

Could you please walk us through the steps you're taking?

Ben

• robertensel
    robertensel
    Community Member

well, i go the website, go to a created "login", click EDIT, double click the icon, select a PNG file and press ok to upload. i am then after a green validation V, thrown out of my login-session and can login again..

is that enough step-by-step ?

• robertensel
    robertensel
    Community Member

funny enough, i just noticed that after waiting for some time, i now see the icon has been updated... strange, but thanks if you helped behind the scenes... :)

• I wish I could take credit, but as far as I'm aware we didn't change anything. Just a temporary glitch, perhaps. Thanks for the update.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.