To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Options besides Dropbox

dgdavis
dgdavis
Community Member

So. Many. Questions.

1. I only have my wife and I that use 1Password. Do I need a family account? I had an individual account, paid up for a Family account, and I'm not sure if it is worth it. Since upgrading, we've been having issues with syncing, including new passwords and issues with Dropbox.
  2. Dropbox - is that the only option? They are now limiting the number of connected devices, so Dropbox is not allowing our 2 phones, home computer, work computers (running the Chrome extension) to sync. Am I doing something wrong?
  3. My wife's phone is constantly having a pop-up message about Dropbox whenever she opens 1Password. I've authorized it to connect to Dropbox numerous times, and it still pops up.
  4. We are largely an Apple home (phones, home computer), but are PC at work. We would like to be able to use the Chrome extension on all the computers. Is this possible? Is the Chrome extension different than having 1Password installed on the computer? Is that what I should not have on the PCs? Is that what is making Dropbox so difficult?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

Hi @dgdavis

It sounds like there are a few different things going on so let's see what we can do to get on the same page.

I only have my wife and I that use 1Password. Do I need a family account? I had an individual account, paid up for a Family account, and I'm not sure if it is worth it. Since upgrading, we've been having issues with syncing, including new passwords and issues with Dropbox.

If you and your wife want any sort of separation of your data (e.g. some his, some hers, and only some shared) then you would need 1Password Families. If you don't mind sharing everything and essentially being the same person as far as 1Password is concerned then you can share an individual membership. With the latter arrangement you'd use the same Master Password to unlock 1Password on every device, whereas with separate accounts in 1Password Families you'd each have your own Master Password.

Dropbox - is that the only option? They are now limiting the number of connected devices, so Dropbox is not allowing our 2 phones, home computer, work computers (running the Chrome extension) to sync. Am I doing something wrong?

One of the main points of 1Password membership is to replace Dropbox as your sync service for 1Password data. Nothing related to 1Password should be syncing with Dropbox. So yes, something is wrong if you're still using Dropbox for 1Password.

If you sign in at https://my.1password.com/ do you see all of your 1Password data, or is some of what you see in the app(s) missing from there? How about for your wife? Does she see all of her data when she signs in?

My wife's phone is constantly having a pop-up message about Dropbox whenever she opens 1Password. I've authorized it to connect to Dropbox numerous times, and it still pops up.

Okay. Again, we want to do away with Dropbox completely when using a 1Password membership. Dropbox is no longer needed.

We are largely an Apple home (phones, home computer), but are PC at work. We would like to be able to use the Chrome extension on all the computers. Is this possible? Is the Chrome extension different than having 1Password installed on the computer? Is that what I should not have on the PCs? Is that what is making Dropbox so difficult?

Membership gives you access to use the latest versions of 1Password on all of your compatible devices.

Please let me know what you find with regard to your data being on my.1password.com.

Ben

• J_O_D
    J_O_D
    Community Member
    edited July 2019

I think that Family account is a subscription-based version synced through cloud servers, while Dropbox is for the standalone version of 1password. Do you have a Primary vault or Personal vault? Or probably both?

• That's correct, @J_O_D; with Primary being Dropbox based (standalone) and Personal being membership based. :)

Ben

• dgdavis
    dgdavis
    Community Member

This was very helpful! I have changed my account to individual, deleted the apps, reinstalled them, and everything is working. Should I delete the file that is on Dropbox?

• @dgdavis

After making sure you no longer have any data that you want to keep in the Primary vault, and have removed it from the apps, yes, you can delete the file from Dropbox. :)

Ben

• dgdavis
    dgdavis
    Community Member

This was very helpful! I have changed my account to individual, deleted the apps, reinstalled them, and everything is working. Should I delete the file that is on Dropbox?

• @dgdavis

I'm not sure what happened but it looks like you may have posted the same message twice? :)

Ben

• dgdavis
    dgdavis
    Community Member

It did. Everything is working great! Thank you for your assistance!

• Glad to hear it, and happy to help. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

• atp_aviator
    atp_aviator
    Community Member

I am long time 1PW pro licensed user. I loaded 1PW 7 signed up for the first month and have some questions:

I was a content dropbox sync user (after some years of hassle) and wonder why you are creating your own cloud backup.
    Can you explain why? DP seemed to work fine for me. I realize that I should periodically have to pay in order to continue to get updates to the program but your new subscription will amount to more than a one time license fee and I am paying inside that subscription fee something for a cloud service that I may not require.. 0
    2. Is the monthly subscription billed annually (I hope) rather than monthly?
    3. Once I migrated my data to you 1PW cloud I no longer see an option for Syncing. If I would like to go back to Dropbox do I have to remove the program and data from my computer(s) and then download and set up again? (I am all apple based, iPad, iPhone and Macs). 4. How many devices does the $2.99/mo subscription cover?
    5. The product description describes a drag and drop function - I thought this would allow me to go to website (e.g., gmail) and drag the gmail information from 1PW7 to the website and it would enter the login data, but I somehow couldn't get it to work. I must not understand what the function is or how to make it work.

Thanks for your responses. I love 1PW up through 1PW6, and hopefully will love 1PW7 though not excited about the subscription model.

• Hi @atp_aviator

All valid questions. Let's start from the top:

why you are creating your own cloud backup.

1Password membership is much more than just a cloud backup. It was built based on demand from customers, either directly or indirectly. Membership has enabled us to do things like:

1. Spread out the cost of the apps over monthly or annual payments so that you always have access to the latest versions on each platform without having to manage various licenses and upgrade fees which many found confusing, and often resulted in folks being on old versions
    2. Secure selective sharing of 1Password data
    3. More robust and flexible file management
    4. Automatic offsite backup

and more. Before introducing 1Password membership one of the most common problems we faced was that a customer was only using 1Password on one device, hadn't set up syncing (why would they if only using one device), and then somehow or another no longer had access to that device. We were in the very unfortunate position of having to tell them that their data was gone and unrecoverable. With membership, occurrences of that problem have been significantly reduced.

Is the monthly subscription billed annually (I hope) rather than monthly?

The option is yours. You can pay either monthly or annually, but annually is the advertised price and is the less expensive option.

Once I migrated my data to you 1PW cloud I no longer see an option for Syncing. If I would like to go back to Dropbox do I have to remove the program and data from my computer(s) and then download and set up again? (I am all apple based, iPad, iPhone and Macs).

You'd need to follow these instructions:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

How many devices does the $2.99/mo subscription cover?

All of them. A 1Password membership allows you to use the latest versions of the native 1Password apps on all of your compatible devices.

The product description describes a drag and drop function - I thought this would allow me to go to website (e.g., gmail) and drag the gmail information from 1PW7 to the website and it would enter the login data, but I somehow couldn't get it to work. I must not understand what the function is or how to make it work.

You should be able to drag from 1Password mini in 1Password 7 to a web form, yes. Have you tried doing so from 1Password mini?

Ben

This discussion has been closed.