Secure notes - where stored?

mcharles
mcharles
Community Member

Are secure notes stored on the 1PW website or on my computer?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.3.1
OS Version: OS 10.14.15
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:where are the secure notes stored?

Comments

• @mcharles

Yes. ;) Both. All of your 1Password data is cached and encrypted locally and then once encrypted it is synced to 1Password.com.

Ben

• mcharles
    mcharles
    Community Member

So can I delete notes from my computer and still have them retrievable? If so, do I can I see them from my app or do I need to login to account online/ thanks

• So can I delete notes from my computer and still have them retrievable?

Deletions would sync as well, so if you delete your notes from 1Password on your computer they will also be deleted from 1Password.com.

Ben

• mcharles
    mcharles
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    Sorry for being so dense, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to secure private data and have it also available to my wife with whom we share a vault. My questions now will refer to both Notes and Documents.

1. Are secure notes on my 1PW computer app stored only within the app? yes or no?
    2. Documents -
      a. It seems that a document is "imported" into the app - yes or no?

b. If I delete the document from my computer it seems to still be available to view in 1PW. Does that mean a copy has been permanently stored within 1PW?

c. What does "remove local copy do? when I select it the actual doc on my MAC remains...

My intention is to secure (password protect) documents by placing them in 1PW and deleting them form my MAC, and have them also available on my portable devices..
      If this is not the best approach please suggest another. Are their specific tutorials on the 1PW site. I could not find anything..

Thanks so much for your patience.
    Charles

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mcharles - no worries! You're not "dense," and that's what we're here for -- to answer questions. :)

Are secure notes on my 1PW computer app stored only within the app? yes or no?

Yes. They are part of the encrypted SQLite database found in ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data`. When you click to view them in the 1Password window, a temporary copy is created which will be present until the next time 1Password for Mac locks or is restarted. This is because, well, humans can't read/use the encrypted copy that lives in the above file location.

It seems that a document is "imported" into the app - yes or no?

Yes, but 1Password won't delete or remove other copies on your computer. It's best to think of such items as being copied into the 1Password database. If you have SuperImportantSecretFile.doc on your hard drive, and you want it to be an encrypted Document item in 1Password, click the plus button in the main 1Password window, choose the Document category, and drag/drop your item into the window. A new Document item is created. You would then be responsible for deleting the copy of SuperImportantSecretFile.doc that would remain in its original location on your hard drive.

What does "remove local copy do? when I select it the actual doc on my MAC remains

If you're referring to "Delete Local Copy" in the drop-down menu on any Document item, it will do exactly what it says: remove the stored, encrypted copy of that item from the local 1Password for Mac app. However, the Document will remain in your 1password.com account on the server, as well as on any other apps you're signed into your 1Password account on (and have previously downloaded that Document).

My intention is to secure (password protect) documents by placing them in 1PW and deleting them form my MAC, and have them also available on my portable devices..

Smart approach. :) You're going about it the right way, with one exception: on iOS devices, you have to individually download Document items. In 1Password 7 for Mac, Documents are automatically downloaded to the local database (encrypted). But in 1Password for iOS, if you want items available, you'll want to click the Documents category, and specifically download each one.

Hope that's helpful. :)

• mcharles
    mcharles
    Community Member

Apologies for the double entry, don't understand how this happened. But one other not related issue:
    1PW 1

This does not work, what to do?
    thanks

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@mcharles

I deleted the duplicate post for you. I think this can happen after you post, and then use the browser's Back button. The forum's edit area gets saved and it sometimes reloads into the page, and you may be hitting the Post Comment button again. Instead of doing that, you can just close the page when you are done, and revisit the site / sub-forum to post additional comments.

• mcharles
    mcharles
    Community Member

OK but what about the problem I have when I click on the small 1PW icon in the browser and get the Press command + Z to unlock - this does not work.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@mcharles

The 1Password folks will address your issues. Just thought I'd comment on the issue I've seen myself a few times.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mcharles: Do you mean that the keyboard shortcut itself doesn't work?

Can you please try clicking on the 1Password X icon in your browser directly, and see if you are able to unlock it from there?

This discussion has been closed.