Why do I have to enter my master password for EVERY login on iOS and how do I fix it?

conix
conix
Community Member

iPhone 6S, iOS v. 12.3.1, 1password v
I'm pretty sure this has come up before, but I haven't found a solution on the forums that works. Whenever I use the mobile autofill feature, I end up having to end my master pw for EVERY SINGLE LOGIN. The alternative is to log into the app and manually copy and paste the usernames and passwords for each site so I don't have to reenter my master password. Am I missing something? Is there a way to use autofill on multiple sites during a single session without having to reenter my master pw? I submitted this request via email and got a "thank you for your request" response but nothing after.

1Password Version: 7.3.2 (mobile version)
Extension Version: Brave 4.7.5.90 (but perhaps not relevant here)
OS Version: iOS 12.3.1
Sync Type: Don't know?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@conix: As Zak mentioned in May, 1Password for iOS can't have its lock state controlled by Password AutoFill. You need to unlock the main 1Password app first using your Master Password. After that you'll be able to use biometrics (if enabled) to unlock there and with iOS Password Autofill. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. :)

• conix
    conix
    Community Member

Brenty, thnx for the reply. I just retried. I open the app with MPW, then attempt to fill another app with autofill feature and it prompts me to enter MPW again. I do not have biometrics enabled. Is that required to avoid reentering MPW for each separate app or website? Any other options? Thank you.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2019

Is that required to avoid reentering MPW for each separate app or website?

Some sort of "Quick Unlock" is required, yes, which would either be biometrics or a PIN. The latter option is very infrequently used and as such hasn't received much attention lately but if you don't want to use biometrics that may be an option (1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security). I'd really recommend biometrics over a PIN though.

Ben

• conix
    conix
    Community Member

Ben, thanks for the clarification. Do both fingerprint and pin options rely on iCloud? Where can I read up on the different options for where to store password information? When I go to the (1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security) menu, it is completely blank. (No option to enable pin, etc.)

My fundamental question is that if my 1password service must rely on iCloud, why not just use iCloud keychain as a password keeper? Thank you for your patience with these questions.
    -conix

• Do both fingerprint and pin options rely on iCloud?

It is possible to use 1Password (including biometrics or PIN unlock) without involving iCloud at all. I'm not entirely sure I understand where that question comes from?

Where can I read up on the different options for where to store password information?

If you have a 1Password membership then your encrypted 1Password data is stored on 1Password.com. There aren't additional options. 1Password.com is the only service that is capable of offering all of the features that 1Password can provide. Generic sync services like Dropbox and iCloud can be used for standalone (non-membership) vaults but you miss out on a number of features by doing that.

About 1Password membership

When I go to the (1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security) menu, it is completely blank. (No option to enable pin, etc.)

What option do you use to unlock your iPhone: biometrics, or a PIN / passcode?

why not just use iCloud keychain as a password keeper?

1Password offers a huge amount of flexibility that isn't available from any built-in password managers, including iCloud Keychain.

Ben

• conix
    conix
    Community Member

It is possible to use 1Password (including biometrics or PIN unlock) without involving iCloud at all. I'm not entirely sure I understand where that question comes from?

Ok, good to hear. When I looked into applying a pin to 1password's iOS autofill feature previously, I remember the settings prompting me that my master password would have to be stored in the icloud keychain for the pin short cut to work. So I have never used it. So I got the impression that 1password uses icloud to store member information. Sorry if my misunderstanding caused confusion.

What option do you use to unlock your iPhone: biometrics, or a PIN / passcode?

PIN. I'm not sure why this menu is showing up blank. Thanks again for your help.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ok, good to hear. When I looked into applying a pin to 1password's iOS autofill feature previously, I remember the settings prompting me that my master password would have to be stored in the icloud keychain for the pin short cut to work.

@conix: Since the Master Password is needed to decrypt the data, in order for you to be able to access your 1Password data by using Quick Unlock (biometrics like Touch ID or Face ID, or a PIN), an obfuscated secret equivalent to your Master Password needs to be stored in the Keychain. But the iOS Keychain is not to be confused with iCloud Keychain. This works even if you have iCloud Keychain disabled, because that's a separate thing, and what is stored by 1Password doesn't leave your device. You can find more details here:

About Touch ID security in 1Password for iOS

So I got the impression that 1password uses icloud to store member information. Sorry if my misunderstanding caused confusion.

No problem. That's what we're here for. Completely unrelated to unlock, if you're using a 1Password membership account, with iCloud Keychain enabled, account information not including the Master Password is stored there and can be sync'd to other devices. Sorry for the confusion that probably caused.

PIN. I'm not sure why this menu is showing up blank. Thanks again for your help.

Can you clarify? It sounds like you're missing some settings. Is that correct? A screenshot would be great, as I haven't heard of that before. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• conix
    conix
    Community Member

brenty / Ben,
    It seems I am missing menus on the 1Password>Settings>Advanced>Security screen. See attached screen shot. Any idea how I can change settings to enable a shortcut?

• That's... different. :) To get a better understanding of what is going on 'under the hood' I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/517628/#Comment_517628
    • Your forum username: conix

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• conix
    conix
    Community Member

Ben, thanks for escalating this issue. My email provider (protonmail) does not integrate with 3rd party email clients (IMAP/SMTP) on iOS due to the encryption/decryption technology they use so I can’t generate a diag report from the native iOS email settings. Is there another way to generate and email a report outside accounts set up in iOS settings?
    Thanks for your help.
    -conix

• @conix

I don't know of another way (on iOS) to send the report other than through the built-in Mail app. Would it be possible to temporarily set up an iCloud email account in Mail to send the report from? If desired you could send it to your protonmail account so that you can review it, and then forward it to us from there. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Ben

• conix
    conix
    Community Member

Ben,
    Here’s the bitbot tag for my diag report. [#XAN-72275-955]
    Cheers.
    Conix

• Thanks @conix. I see we've received the report. We'll be in touch via email soon. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.